Official Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sandi
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0">Blessed Child</a>
Currently Reading: The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 22

Re: Official Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Sandi »

Island Games-by Caleb J. Boyer

Early in the first chapter, I decided that this book had to have been written by an eleven or twelve year old boy. After finishing about a quarter of the book, I decided to look up the author as I didn’t want to hurt the feelings of an older author. I was relieved to discover that Caleb was indeed 12 years old when he wrote this book!

Island Games: The Mystery of the Four Quadrants would make a great graphic novel. There is enough interesting action to attract the most reluctant readers. Knowing that the author was twelve when he wrote the book would also be a draw. As a librarian, I would use this book as a great example of the importance of reading, writing, art and what you can accomplish even when you are a kid.

I like the fact the grammar was left intact as Caleb wrote it. Kids, especially boys really talk the way Matthew and Ryan do in the book. Most would not notice the problems that would bother adults.

Island Games is a didactic adventure story about teamwork, cooperation, responsibility, and personal growth. The story ends suddenly without resolution, leaving the reader wondering what happens next. Kids with Internet access can get a free download of the lab adventure that neither boy remembers.
However, there is no conclusion from this adventure either! I think anyone reading this book will be anxious for a sequel to learn if the boys ever make it home.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

Miriam Molina wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 00:54 A 12-year-old boy wrote this 4-star book without ANY grammatical errors. Shame on me! I can't even write a 500-word review flawlessly!

I am impressed with this boy and this book. I wonder how old Caleb is now. We may be looking at the next James Patterson.
I was thinking the same thing. What a talented young man!
mayabir
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mayabir »

At first I kept wondering about the simplistic nature of the book, the language used etc, but after noting tha age of the author, am super impressed.
This storyline is so intriguing for a boy that age. It is so fascinating and one gets that urge to want to know more about the next chapter.Great piece!
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

About to read this book and I was looking for a review of what am i getting myself into before reading it. This review got me excited. Thanks!
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I liked that you made some perceptive observations even though they didn't hamper your enjoyment of the story. It's impressive that a 12-year-old wrote this book and that there were no errors. Whether the lack of errors is due to his own proofreading or other people editing his work, it's still a rare feat in indie books. There are so many indie books that contain errors. Let this book be a lesson on this point.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
EWatson02
Currently Reading: The Black Swan
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ewatson02.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EWatson02 »

Sandi wrote: 01 Feb 2018, 18:17 Island Games-by Caleb J. Boyer

Early in the first chapter, I decided that this book had to have been written by an eleven or twelve year old boy. After finishing about a quarter of the book, I decided to look up the author as I didn’t want to hurt the feelings of an older author. I was relieved to discover that Caleb was indeed 12 years old when he wrote this book!
Oh thank god it's not just me. I just did a volunteer review for this book and for the first few chapters my critique notes were brutal. How on earth could an adult with any sort of professional writing experience do it like this? The further I got, though, the more I suspected that I was dealing with an actual kid, so I did some Googling and lo and behold, I was right! Once I got that out of the way, I found it much easier to read through the book and to sit back, relax, and enjoy it.

So my review focused more on encouraging the writer's love of the craft itself. I figure most of the more specific issues I had with the book would probably resolve themselves in time as the author does more writing and gains more experience. I think it would be wonderful for him to find formal education in creative writing, as that would give him a great deal of professional training and more experience under his belt. I expect great things!
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

The book reminded me both of Daniel Defoe's Robinson Crusoe and William Golding's Lord of the Flies in terms of surviving on an island cliche, yet the fact that it was written by a 12-year-old boy makes me wonder how such an adventure is portrayed through the eyes of the potential hero himself. Thank you for a very good review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I gave this book 4 stars because it is a great fit to the intended audience. Being himself a tween, Caleb was in touch with the reality of kids of the present generation. The island game mirrors a computer game where the rewards are received when the foes are slain or the obstacles cleared. This boy is special.
DathanReeves
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dathanreeves.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by DathanReeves »

I've also reviewed this book. I enjoyed the book more after I read the allegory of the island, but before that I was frustrated with it, though not for the ending.
Essentially_Literate
Favorite Book: Beastly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essentially-literate.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Essentially_Literate »

I can't believe he wrote the book and had it published at the age of twelve! As a part time teacher, I've seen some kids writing short stories here and there but nothing as elaborate as this sounds! Really great review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I agree Essentially_Literate. He really did very well for himself. He's going to go far, that's for sure!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Post by JessNWheeler »

I’ve considered reading this book. Two shipwrecked adolescents sounds like an interesting plot, especially when the fantasy aspect is added. Maybe I’ll read it with my kids. Great review!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
Jax14
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Thursday Murder Club
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jax14.html
Latest Review: Lost on the Edge of Eternity by Jonathan Floyd
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 2
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Jax14 »

Overall I enjoyed the book too. It is written with a youthful flair and you can tell the author is rather young. Even though reminiscent of the Hunger Games and Maze Runner, I liked the underlying "moral" of togetherness in it. I agree that the cliffhanger could be forgiven because of the lead into the extra section as well as the online link to further info. A very promising start for such a young author!
P0tt3ry
Favorite Book: The Dresden Files
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p0tt3ry.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by P0tt3ry »

It really was an fresh imaginative story with a well-laid out plot--pretty amazing for a 12 year old. I liked the rooster as a continuing companion, even though the boys never saw him. The ending was a little unsatisfactory but it does lay the groundwork for the next book. Perhaps because I read the e-version, there were grammatical errors (including spelling) but that didn't stop me from enjoying the story. Looking forward to the next installment in the series. Thank you for the review.
mayabir
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mayabir »

briellejee wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 07:55 About to read this book and I was looking for a review of what am i getting myself into before reading it. This review got me excited. Thanks!
Thanks too

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”