Official Review: Déjà Vu Christmas by James O Jenkins

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Official Review: Déjà Vu Christmas by James O Jenkins

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Deja Vu Christmas" by James O Jenkins.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Déjà Vu Christmas by James O. Jenkins is a short read that consists of two parts. The first part is about Horatio Willoughbee, who through the kindness of his heart, was able to give so much to his community. The second part is about Merrick Whitworth whose self-centered persona drives away not only his family, but also anybody who comes in contact with him.

Merrick Whitworth is a businessman who only sees Christmas as a way to make a lot of profit. He only cares about the amount of money he has, and he even makes his workers work on Christmas Eve. As he is driving home from work, he suddenly sees an apparition of Horatio Willoughbee and swerves his car off the road and into a ravine. When he wakes up, he finds out that he is in a strange town where no one seems to know who he is. Even more strange is the fact that he recognizes most of the townspeople. As he interacts with people who he normally would not even look at, he begins to see the kind of life he is living. Will he finally see the real meaning behind Christmas or will he always be known as the self-centered businessman?

The main character, Merrick Whitworth, reminded me of Ebenezer Scrooge in A Christmas Carol. Merrick only cares about the money he makes from his department store, and he even drives away a homeless family taking shelter inside his store. While there were a lot of characters that were introduced, Merrick’s character is the only who showed a lot of growth. Secondary characters like Garrick and Mr. Cullyford helped to shape and build Merrick as a well-rounded character.

What I liked the best about this book was the number of descriptions and details that the author put into this story. It was easy to visualize the scenes, and the black and white illustrations included in the book helped to enrich it. This book is not only a great read during the Christmas season, but it can also be read anytime during the year. Also, the author included a lot of morals that not only pertain during Christmas, but to life in general. For example, the book discusses topics on giving, sharing, and helping those who are in need. I noticed a few errors such as spacing issues, but they didn’t detract from the book.

Overall, I rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars. The errors that I came across, which were very few, could have been easily edited. While it was easy to visualize the story, there wasn't a lot of character growth. I recommend this book to those who like to read books like A Christmas Carol or books that are a quick read.

Deja Vu Christmas
View: on Bookshelves

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

This book sounds like it has lot to offer, and lot to learn. I like that! Looking forward to this book.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I always enjoy books like this where, hopefully, the main character learns the true meaning of Christmas and realizes how selfish they are being. Sounds like an interesting book. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I don't really fuss about Christmas but I wouldn't mind taking a look at this book. I like that it contains life lessons that everyone can learn from.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”