Official Review: The Power Of Hello by Phebe Shumate-Yawson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Official Review: The Power Of Hello by Phebe Shumate-Yawson

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Power Of Hello" by Phebe Shumate-Yawson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Power of Hello is essentially a story told through the perspective of Lola, a thirteen-year-old girl. Lola is afraid of making friends. One day, a popular girl Briyah Lewis approaches Lola and befriends her. What follows is a story that revolves around the experiences of Lola and her friends, good as well as bad. Lola and her friends stay together no matter what, and are protected by their loved ones.

The central theme of this story seems to be relationships. Whether it is the way Lola is approached by Briyah or her dynamic with the rest of the characters in the story, the narrative eloquently captures the struggles of teenagers in forming and maintaining relationships. Another important idea that surfaces in this story is bullying. The narrative questions and explores what bullying really is and how it affects teenagers. All the other themes that surface in this piece are interlinked in some or the other way. The all bring the reader back to the central theme of relationships.

The title of this story is quite straightforward, and it relates to the central theme. The story basically conveys that the life of the protagonist changes completely after one single hello. This a story about the importance of approaching people and making relationships. The Power of Hello questions dominant notions about what bullies are. While the issue of bullying is taken very seriously, even the bullies are given a face and they are essentially humanised.

The writing style of the author is quite intriguing. At first, it will seem like there is a level of disconnect between the maturity of the content and the language in which it is put forward, but it soon becomes clear that despite its brevity, this isn’t just a book for children. This book sends a strong message that will transcend the boundaries of age and the ideas that surface in this book are relevant to all age groups. The words used by the author are often complex, but the ideas are simple, and these ideas have been eloquently presented to the reader.

In my opinion, this book deserves a 3 out of 4 stars. I certainly feel that there is a disconnect in the narrative and the reader might not find the text to be the most consistent one, but overall, The Power of Hello is a good read and people of all ages will enjoy it. It is also important that due to its brevity and simplicity, it can be read and enjoyed in one sitting, and at no point will the reader feel bored.

The Power Of Hello
View: on Bookshelves

Like HouseOfAtticus's review? Post a comment saying so!
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

This is a lovely review. I now realize what an issue bullying is to teenagers who are still struggling to carve their own niche of acceptability in society. It starts with peer approval, that feeling of belongingness, to conform to a cliche. I may not be a Psychologist, but I am certain the desire to be loved is among the most potent mover of human behavior. And it gets extremely tested in the instance of bullying, the antithesis of friendship. Thanks for your review.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I'm happy that the author focused on the "bullying" situations in teen lives, I believe this is a huge issue for parents. I hope this book helps to bring in light this issue and give in solutions. The book is good, and I am happy the author wishes to talk about it. Thanks for the review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

Bullying is one of the main problems some kids experience in school, and it's not funny. I like the theme of the book. Sometimes "hello" could be so powerful that it gets you a relationship that will fill your life with joy and laughter. Nice review. Thanks.
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

Thank you!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Transcends age? Sounds like a powerful story. Thanks for the review. I'm interested to see how the title fits the content.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your thorough review. I like your comment that the bullies are humanized - characters who aren't all good or all bad are usually more realistic and interesting. I am going to take a look at the sample.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

Bullying is a rampant problem that is faced not only by children. I have read news of suicide pointing the cause of bullying. Relationship building starts with one hello and the behaviour building starts at home. This book brings awareness towards good moral and relationship bonding.

Thanks for the review.
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

Bullying can be a cycle, where one who has experienced it, in turn, bullies others. Such behavior should not be justified but humanizing those who bully because they have been makes some sense toward breaking the cycle. Thanks for your review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
itsme123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by itsme123 »

Wow! You see me, you get me! Thank you for a great review.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”