Official Review: Choose To Be Different

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Choose To Be Different

Post by Emie Cuevas »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Choose To Be Different" by Bukonla Akin-Egbedeyi.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you stuck in a rut? Have you been doing the same thing as everyone else? Are you unhappy with your position in life? Then you should read Choose to be Different by Bukonla Akin-Egbedeyi. This is a self-help book with a heavy bias towards Christianity.

Bukonla has written Choose to be Different with each chapter covering just one topic. The chapter headings delineate what each chapter is about, so it is very easy to look up any given topic that you may be interested in.

The author covers all the main points, starting with building a good name. Within the chapter, he explains why it is necessary to have a good name, and then he tells you what you can do to start building your own name up. This process of explaining why something is important and how to achieve it continues with every chapter.

Also within every chapter, there are many biblical quotes. These enhance the narrative bringing a little wisdom to the reader. At the very end of the book the style changes, every sentence feels like Bukonla is clobbering the reader over the head with a bible, trying to get him to see the light. I heartily recommend that you avoid the last chapters if this is likely to offend you.

Whilst I was reading this book I found myself a little confused. The title, Choose to be Different was contradicted within every chapter. Bukonla clearly wants to help people better themselves but only in a limited way. It seems he wants people to go and get a job, just like the masses do! The gist of the book is to enable people to progress through the company.

The author comes from Africa and the way the book is written, makes me think that English is his second language. I have some experience with this kind of situation, so I could cope with how things where stated most of the time. If you are not familiar with talking to people who have English as a second language, then I think you will have trouble understanding what the author is trying to portray.

The information provided is good, but there is nothing to make this stand out from any other self-help book that I have read. I would have given this a rating of three stars. However, the books poor grammar and the attempt to convert people at the end lose Bukonla a star. I give this book a rating of 2 out of 4 stars. I think this book would be appreciated by anyone who wants to further themselves within the company that they are with.

Choose To Be Different
View: on Bookshelves

Like Emie Cuevas's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I'm sorry, but why is the book bias? It does not sound great but you wrote a effective review. Thank you for your precise details, but I'll pass this book.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
story3girl
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-story3girl.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by story3girl »

Thank you for the very specific information in your review. Based on what you said, that the book is only for people trying to further themselves on their current company, I'm pretty sure this book isn't for me.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad that there isn't anything in this book different from other books. The language sounds understandable even if it is a little bit off. Thanks for the information. I guess I'll avoid this one anyway.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Hephzi Lolami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hephzi-lolami.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Hephzi Lolami »

'Choose to be different', from the review seems like any other self encouragement book out there and I don't think it's for me. Thanks for the review anyway.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”