Official Review: The Key of F by Jennifer Haskin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Official Review: The Key of F by Jennifer Haskin

Post by Spirit Wandering »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Key of F" by Jennifer Haskin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Key of F, by Jennifer Haskin, is set in the fictional land of Algea. Each of the geographic regions are designated to perform a particular function, such as farming. As the story opens, we are introduced to three friends. They are students at a university that is located in the industrial region. Fale and Izzy are studying martial arts. Fale is eager to become a “takanori.” Achieving this status would make her part of a warrior clan that is charged with maintaining unity among the various groups in Algea. The third student, Lisle, is an apprentice wizard.

Lisle is in love with Fale, but she loves Keron. He initially rejects her affection. Keron fears he is not good enough for Fale, because he has a metal arm and leg. These metallic enhancements make him a “fantocci,” an outcast in their society. To pay for the expensive surgeries required for such enhancements, these individuals are forced to work as bondsmen. They are indebted, for life, to a shadowy government organization known as the Control Agency. However, his fate lies elsewhere. Keron will become Fale’s protector or “wardsman.”

On her eighteenth birthday, Fale begins to have visions of the future. She then finds herself being chased by unknown foes. These events are related to a key that her father gave to Fale just before he died. As a result, Fale and Keron begin to undertake a dangerous adventure. They will be aided by Lisle and Izzy. Along the way, Fale will discover that she is not who she believes herself to be and that she must manifest a destiny inherited from her ancestor, Princess Effailya.

The book presents an interesting set of questions. Why is Fale having visions and how are they related to the key? Who is chasing her and why? What is the hidden history of Algea and why is it been suppressed by the Control Agency?

I was first drawn to this novel because of the cover art. It has an appealing use of color, as well as interesting drawings of Fale and Keron. One can be disappointed by a book whose story does not live up to the promise hinted at by a good cover. Therefore, I was pleased to find that this novel contained plot points that held my attention. One such element was the group’s search for a particular machine. It can only be unlocked with Fale’s key, but the machine itself is also the “key” to saving her people.

I also liked the two main characters. Fale is young but brave. Keron is strong but sensitive. Finally, I appreciated that this book, the first of a trilogy, ended at a good breaking point. Enough issues were resolved for the novel to be satisfying, yet there was sufficient setup to generate interest in the second book.

Given that this is a young adult novel, one would expect the dialogue to reflect the age of the characters and how they would speak with their peers. However, the dialogue was overly simplistic, even allowing for the young adult book category. Also, the writing style often lacked depth or flair. Finally, there were more than a few errors. For example, “There were prototypes and metal gadgets galore, but none fitted her key.”

I would recommend this book to those interested in young adult or fantasy novels. The romantic interactions are not graphic and would be appropriate for older teenagers. The plot elements gave this novel the potential to reach four stars. However, I rate The Key of F 3 out of 4 stars, due to the writing style and errors. Nonetheless, this book piqued my interest and I would read the next one in the series.

The Key of F
View: on Bookshelves

Like Spirit Wandering's review? Post a comment saying so!
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Interesting! Romance plus adventure plus supper powers plus mystery, good combination! What intresting fro been afiction novel is the combination of the character's characteristics and their compatibility also the mystery adds credit to this book!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds interesting to me. I enjoy young adult novels. It's too bad about the errors, but they don't sound overly distracting. Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Spirit Wandering

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 19 Dec 2017, 08:18 Interesting! Romance plus adventure plus supper powers plus mystery, good combination! What intresting fro been afiction novel is the combination of the character's characteristics and their compatibility also the mystery adds credit to this book!
You have captured all of the elements of the book in my review. Thanks for replying.
Spirit Wandering

kandscreeley wrote: 19 Dec 2017, 08:58 It sounds interesting to me. I enjoy young adult novels. It's too bad about the errors, but they don't sound overly distracting. Thanks for the information.
You are welcome. Thanks for reading the review and replying.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

Another thorough review you interestingly wrote. The elements for the reader to be engrossed in are deftly in place. I may find it hard to put this book down once opened. Thanks for your review.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Spirit Wandering

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 10:13 Another thorough review you interestingly wrote. The elements for the reader to be engrossed in are deftly in place. I may find it hard to put this book down once opened. Thanks for your review.
Thanks for the compliment. I hope you enjoy the book if you decide to read it.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”