Official Review: Life of ups and downs by Walker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: Life of ups and downs by Walker

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Life of ups and downs" by Walker.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We all face challenges in our lives, clearly that is a given. However, it's the way we adapt to these challenges that makes one stand out from the others. In Life of Ups and Downs, written by Walker and published in April 2017, we are introduced to a young woman who has faced numerous life-altering challenges that she knows could either break her, or lift her to higher expectations for herself.

Young Kelly has had to learn to deal with grief in one of the hardest ways imaginable after losing both of her parents within a short time frame. From there, she is sent to a Catholic boarding school where she has to learn her way to making friends, all the while, adapting to being the only orphan at the school. She is traumatized from a bad business partner experience, where she is ruefully taken advantage of, as well as consistently talked down to by her business partners.

Just when Kelly hits a dark space in her life and can't seem to find an exit, she turns to an online dating website to escape her reality. After a few strange instances, Kelly meets Taylor, a handsome man who she thought she could imagine a future with. Although they spent numerous hours talking on the phone during their long-distance relationship, Kelly and Taylor agreed it would be nice to finally meet in person. Upon meeting Taylor, Kelly quickly realized that he wasn’t as polite and sincere as he had been online and on the phone, which lead to another heartbreak that she wasn’t sure how to take. Kelly knew she could either allow life to keep handing her lemons, or she could turn the other cheek and find a way to form her own happiness.

Life of Ups and Downs is all about the journey to find your own happiness and what it takes for realization to kick in and show you how you should experience life, with or without the support of others. The title of the book was very fitting, as the story clearly resolved around the ups and downs that follow us through life. The themes expressed within the story included grief, happiness, self-recognition and personal development.

I had a hard time getting into the story, mainly because I didn’t feel that it was genuine. My issues here could stem from the story being under 50 pages, which left numerous sections feeling rushed and with little to no dept. I felt as though a story about devastation and a self-discovery journey should be one that is well-developed with genuine feelings attached. There were also numerous grammar and spelling errors throughout the story, which were even more noticeable due to the short length of the story. The biggest grammatical errors I came across had to do with the verb tense used. There were also several spelling errors found, including “unmarred” rather than “unmarried,” and “imagen” rather than “imagine.” The characters in the story were not memorable, and I actually did not even learn the name of the narrator/main character until nearly the end of the story. Due to the numerous errors found within the story and the under-developed plot, I rate Life of Ups and Downs 1 out of 4 stars.

Life of ups and downs
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like klbradley's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like the author has been through quite a bit. Like you, though, it sounds like 50 pages is much too short to really expound on her story. Too bad. Thanks for the review. I think I'll pass for now.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kourtney Bradley

Thank you for checking it out!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Fifty pages is not enough to explore all the challenges in Kelly's life. I wonder why the book is too short. I don't think it's for lack of material.

I hope the author can still salvage the book, though.

Thanks for the frank review, Klbradley!
VanessaAisel
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessaaisel.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by VanessaAisel »

Sad that the story is so underdeveloped, the concept could make a great book with a bit more effort! Thanks for your review!
The only escape to my pain is within the lives of storybook characters.
~Me~
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Kourtney Bradley

With elaboration, I think the author could revive the story. Thank you for checking it out!
–Vera Nazarian
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

For a topic as such the story should be genuine or self experience one will be more befitting. According to the reviewer's review I would pass this because I would prefer to know what and how she dealt with her problem rather than be stuck with grammar issues.

Thank you for the heads up!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Kourtney Bradley

–Vera Nazarian
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

klbradley wrote: 05 Dec 2017, 08:49 Thank you for checking it out!
You are welcome 😊
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Tonia76
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tonia76 »

I love the book it was really she did a real good job on eritting this book [/b]
klbradley wrote: 28 Nov 2017, 16:22 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Life of ups and downs" by Walker.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We all face challenges in our lives, clearly that is a given. However, it's the way we adapt to these challenges that makes one stand out from the others. In Life of Ups and Downs, written by Walker and published in April 2017, we are introduced to a young woman who has faced numerous life-altering challenges that she knows could either break her, or lift her to higher expectations for herself.

Young Kelly has had to learn to deal with grief in one of the hardest ways imaginable after losing both of her parents within a short time frame. From there, she is sent to a Catholic boarding school where she has to learn her way to making friends, all the while, adapting to being the only orphan at the school. She is traumatized from a bad business partner experience, where she is ruefully taken advantage of, as well as consistently talked down to by her business partners.

Just when Kelly hits a dark space in her life and can't seem to find an exit, she turns to an online dating website to escape her reality. After a few strange instances, Kelly meets Taylor, a handsome man who she thought she could imagine a future with. Although they spent numerous hours talking on the phone during their long-distance relationship, Kelly and Taylor agreed it would be nice to finally meet in person. Upon meeting Taylor, Kelly quickly realized that he wasn’t as polite and sincere as he had been online and on the phone, which lead to another heartbreak that she wasn’t sure how to take. Kelly knew she could either allow life to keep handing her lemons, or she could turn the other cheek and find a way to form her own happiness.

Life of Ups and Downs is all about the journey to find your own happiness and what it takes for realization to kick in and show you how you should experience life, with or without the support of others. The title of the book was very fitting, as the story clearly resolved around the ups and downs that follow us through life. The themes expressed within the story included grief, happiness, self-recognition and personal development.

I had a hard time getting into the story, mainly because I didn’t feel that it was genuine. My issues here could stem from the story being under 50 pages, which left numerous sections feeling rushed and with little to no dept. I felt as though a story about devastation and a self-discovery journey should be one that is well-developed with genuine feelings attached. There were also numerous grammar and spelling errors throughout the story, which were even more noticeable due to the short length of the story. The biggest grammatical errors I came across had to do with the verb tense used. There were also several spelling errors found, including “unmarred” rather than “unmarried,” and “imagen” rather than “imagine.” The characters in the story were not memorable, and I actually did not even learn the name of the narrator/main character until nearly the end of the story. Due to the numerous errors found within the story and the under-developed plot, I rate Life of Ups and Downs 1 out of 4 stars.

Life of ups and downs
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like klbradley's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kourtney Bradley

Tonia76 wrote: 05 Dec 2017, 17:17 I love the book it was really she did a real good job on eritting this book [/b]
klbradley wrote: 28 Nov 2017, 16:22 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Life of ups and downs" by Walker.]

We can agree to disagree. 😊
–Vera Nazarian
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

This might be an interesting read to me. As the title suggests, what made us different from others is how we dealt with the 'lemons' that we have to go through in life. Thank you for mentioning few grammar mistakes. Good review, by the way.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

I agree completely! For a book of self-discovery to touch me I need to connect with the character and that is only possible if it is a well-developed book.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Kourtney Bradley

–Vera Nazarian
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

It seemed like the author really wanted to express something but just rushed through it in a haste to get her message across. That's too bad.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”