Review of The summer before forever by Melissa Chambers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Booklover1606
Currently Reading: The Richest Man In Babylon
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover1606.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Review of The summer before forever by Melissa Chambers

Post by Booklover1606 »

The summer before forever by Melissa Chambers is a gripping young adult romance between soon to be step siblings.

I'm always guilty of not obeying the rule that states to not judge a book by its cover. In the case of this book, the main reason I chose it was because of its beautiful cover. However when I started reading it I couldn't put it down.

Landon is a tall, dark and handsome golf cart driver and Chloe a curly haired music lover.
The chemistry between them is present from the moment they meet, but sadly they are forced to fight it. However all it takes is jealousy from both sides for them to throw caution to the wind and to start dating. It's not easy though as secrets kept by both of them as well as their parents' upcoming wedding places strain on their relationship.

I absolutely loved this book, from the small town, coastal setting to the summer bucket list made by Chloe and Jenna. Although this book contains a lot of humor it also deals with deeper topics such as disability, abuse and strained relationships with parents. This adds both beauty and heartache to the book.

The writing style is perfect for young adult readers. It contains a few swear words, mostly from Landon, but this just makes it all the more believable.

I loved exploring the love story of Landon and Chloe and how they both grow not only in their relationship but also in their self-confidence. Both have experienced things that have made them question their self-worth. In the end it is thanks to the other that each one overcomes this.

Although Jenna is a minor character, I loved her quick wit and loyalty to Chloe, her enthusiasm and self-confidence is contagious and made me feel like I was part of the story.

Out if the whole book, there is only one thing that I do not like and that is the title. I feel that because this book is so incredible, it's title doesn't do it justice. The summer before foerver sounds quite cliche when the book is anything but.

Melissa Chambers took the uncomfortable and unusual topic of forbidden love between step siblings and wrote a book that is gripping, funny and deep all at the same time. I give this book a 4 out of 4 rating and I cannot wait to read the second book in the series.

-- 20 Nov 2017, 17:01 --

Thank you to everyone who has read this review. I really appreciate it, I never thought it would get so many views in such a short time :D
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

Ah, I've always been rather intrigued by the idea of step-siblings sort of falling in love with each other. I think it was Drive Me Crazy that first put the idea in my head because I can't even imagine how awkward it must be to really like this other person and later find out that their father is dating your mom.

I definitely think this one is worth reading and I'll probably pick it up at some point because it does sound quite good. Thanks for your review!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”