Official Review: Walking Among The Shadows: Awakening

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Official Review: Walking Among The Shadows: Awakening

Post by MsTri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Walking Among The Shadows: Awakening" by Navi' Robins.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I don't know about you, but when I'm attracted to someone, I generally want to kiss them rather than kill them. Unfortunately, things aren't so simple for Aiden Storm in Walking Among the Shadows: Awakening by Navi' Robins.

On the first day of the new school year, 16-year-old Aiden is blown away by the new girl, Jasmine, but just as quickly as he's attracted to her, he wants to kill her. The high school junior also finds himself blacking out and experiencing moments of murderous rage. Not understanding the power Jasmine holds over him and afraid that he's turning into a serial killer, he searches for answers, quickly falling into a world he never knew about. Is Jasmine evil? What secrets does Aiden uncover? Does Aiden give into the kiss or the kill? All the answers can be found in Navi's exhilarating tale.

When I read the synopsis for this story, I thought it was a must-read, and I'm glad I wasn't wrong. From the first line of the tale, I was completely hooked. The author has an unusual way with words, and I was captivated by his storytelling capabilities. In addition, I loved his creative titling of the chapters and the fonts used for each heading. The pacing was perfect with a great blend of action versus suspense. The author also did a superb job of introducing the characters and building the story's foundation without losing focus of the actual story. Then, just as I was feeling comfortable with everyone and everything, he ratcheted the action up a couple of notches, and I almost felt like I needed to strap on a seat belt! The whole second half of the book was like a new roller coaster ride, each turn and loop leaving me more excited than the last. I do want to warn that the tome ends with a cliffhanger-type revelation, so one should be prepared to read the next book as well.

Along for the ride with Aiden were his sister, Sarah, and his best friend, Tony, plus a cast of several other important figures, including his mother and his mother's new love, Jason. There are quite a few more people in the book at various points, and I thought all of the characters were realistically drawn. I also liked that no one was perfect, especially Aiden. Just like any other teenager, he tended to be overconfident, temperamental, and moody, but all of these feelings were certainly understandable, considering his plight. Tony was a “playa”, and I often found myself laughing at his antics. I was mostly intrigued by Aiden's nemesis, Jasmine, and I was on the edge of my seat, waiting to find out how she could do the things she did.

The author did somewhat skimp on descriptions for locations, but it didn't bother me since I have a vivid imagination. Still, it may bother other readers who prefer more details in their stories. He did, however, do a good job describing all the characters.

As excellent as Walking Among the Shadows: Awakening is, I do have to note that it could use some proper editing. (The copy I received was “Revised”, but there's no indication as to what the revisions were.) The most egregious errors were in punctuation, as the author tended to use semicolons where there should be commas and left out commas where they should have been, leading to fragments rather than whole sentences. One such example is, "I have to admit it was a lot to put on a teenager's shoulders and he had such a hard time adjusting over the years. Getting into all kinds of trouble and rebelling over the loss of our father but eventually he came through it stronger and more determined." There was also incorrect word usage fairly often, such as the use of "decent" where it should be "descent" and “should of” rather than the correct “should have”. I also noted some examples of using the wrong form of a word, as in "Dad's side of the family carried the Spaniard and Native American lineage and my mom lending the Brazilian side" where the verb should be “lent”. Besides all of these errors, some popular phrases were misquoted, like “but nothing is rarely as it seems”. I will add, though, that I'm such a stickler for grammar that I usually cannot continue a book with so many errors, so I think it's a testimony to the story that I kept going and enjoyed it immensely. I also plan on reading the sequel and any other book in the series – Amazon says Mr. Robins plans for 7 books in all – so it's my hope that he goes back and has this one properly edited with all future books following suit.

With all this being said, I have to give Walking Among the Shadows: Awakening 3 out of 4 stars. The tale is certainly worth 4 stars, but the lack of editing cost it a star. I highly recommend this YA novel for readers who are fans of the supernatural, action, and even mystery genres. Without giving anything away, I also think the latter half of the book will appeal to those who like science fiction.

Walking Among The Shadows: Awakening
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MsTri's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

That does sound really interesting. Blackouts? Being attracted to someone and feeling the desire to kill them? I'm interested already. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

Ha ha ha, @kandscreeley! It really was a stupendous ride and I'm PRAYing part two comes up on the review list so I can nab it (if my timing's good enough)!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Kissing vs Killing? What a choice! It's been a while since I've seen the word stupendous, MsTri. It seems the book really made a huge impact on you.

I am convinced to walk among the shadows.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

Your review is so enthusiastic I think I may have to check this one out. My misgivings are also what draw me in (Kissing or Killing? What is that all about? I want to know!) Thanks for the review :)
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

Ha ha ha, @Miriam Molina & @Kat Berg; I'm glad you like my lines about the kissing v. killing.
kwahu
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin
fav_author_id: 73488

Post by kwahu »

How can love coexist with hate? the book sounds like a mind-blower and i will want to read it. Thanks for a brilliant review.
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

@kwahu, It was indeed a mind-blower and I'm already midway through the free sample for the sequel. I'm still hoping part 2 comes up for review, but if not, I'd gladly pay .99 to get it.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

This sounds a little too much for my liking. I'm glad you enjoyed it though. Thanks for the detailed review.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

This sounds like a fantastic plot idea and I'm impressed to find it in the young adult genre. I think I'll have to wait and see if the second one comes up and wait for a review on it before I dive in. Hopefully it will be better edited as I don't feel like diving into a series that has so many mistakes. I've been enjoying your reviews and it's no surprise that this is another great one!
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Kissing vs killing? I've never heard that before. Mind blown but that caught my attention. Thank you for your review.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Ha! sounds interesting! Kiss or kill... It makes me quite curious to know what he chose. What attracted me was the cover of the book to look at it. Well definitely worth look at! Thank you 😊
Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

Wow! The book definitely sounds interesting. I wonder how the author was able to put two contrasting desires into a single character.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

When I saw the cover of the book, I backed up immediately. I'm a complete coward, so I do not like ghost stories or so. However, your review sounds quite appealing. A teenager that has the desire to kill his crush is not something we read every day. Plus, the author created well developed characters with a sci-fi touch. I'm still not sure if I should read it, but I enjoyed your review, MsTri,thanks!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! The characters all sound interesting which is an important aspect of a good book. It's too bad about the errors. Hopefully, the author will use a good editor next time around.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”