Official Review: Mirror Me by Tara St. Pierre

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Official Review: Mirror Me by Tara St. Pierre

Post by MsTri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mirror Me" by Tara St. Pierre.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Mirror mirror on the wall...” is a phrase I'm sure we're all familiar with, but it has never been like this before! In Tara St. Pierre's book, Mirror Me, Hannah McCauley hates to look in her mirror, as it seems to her that her image is looking at her judgmentally because of something that happened the year before. As time goes by, the teenager notices weird things happening, things that she seems to have done but doesn't recall doing. Since she's on lockdown, including no makeup, no boys, no driving, and no contact with her former friend, Nikki, she has to figure out what's going on before her world is completely shattered. Is she imagining things? Is someone out to get her? With less than a handful of “approved” friends, Hannah has to figure it out before she doesn't have even those friends left.

I was really intrigued when I read the premise for this book, and author St. Pierre did not let me down. Hannah is likable enough, and as a former teenager, I could empathize with both her feelings of guilt and her thoughts that her mother is too hard on her. At the same time, as the parent of three post-teens, I can also see just where her mother is coming from. The supernatural aspect was also intriguing, slowly building to its climax. Even though I figured out what was going on about halfway through the book, it didn't take away from my enjoyment. I do wish, however, that the details of what had happened the year before had been spelled out sooner than they were, but that was just my opinion, as it wasn't necessary to move the action forward.

St. Pierre also did a great job in painting the other characters in the book. Hannah's friends, Grace and Lorenzo (who goes by “Zo”), and her crush, Cole, are all realistically drawn and people I could have seen myself knowing when I was in high school. Zo, in particular, is a great character. An aspiring makeup artist, he's genuinely concerned about Hannah and lifts her spirits when she's down. He's also great comic relief. Grace is a great friend as well, but I felt she was drawn a little too perfectly. She was also a little too harsh on Hannah at times, acting almost like a second mother. Cole was a wonderful surprise and a lesson in not judging a book by its cover.

Insofar as scenery, there was just enough description for me to envision Hannah's bedroom, her street, and the various rooms in her school. Other places that arise are also detailed just enough. St. Pierre's writing style was also great, and I loved the way she incorporated textspeak in the tome, as it made if feel even more realistic. I found no grammatical or syntax errors.

The underlying theme of this tale was forgiveness, of both self and others, and I thought it was handled perfectly. Written in the first-person point of view, Mirror Me allows the reader to get inside Hannah's head, and I think any teen can commiserate with her feelings whether they've done anything wrong on a grand scale or not. I also liked the Jekyll and Hyde aspect. I'm sure many of us, teenagers or not, have at times felt as if we were housing several personalities in our single head or body.

I'm happy to give Mirror Me 4 out of 4 stars. Not only is it a great story, but it also has a great lesson therein. I highly recommend this tale to teenagers and others who like a good redemption story. I will note that the supernatural aspect was a slow burn, so it may not be best for those who like a fast-paced story.

Mirror Me
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like MsTri's review? Post a comment saying so!
Max Senzi
Favorite Author: Dean Koontz
Currently Reading: Abercrombie and Underwood
Bookshelf Size: 29
fav_author_id: 2595

Post by Max Senzi »

Thanks for the review. I think I need to add it in my want to read list???
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

A teenager looking for redemption sounds very realistic. Good to know the author payed careful attention to the description of the characters and setting as well. Thanks for the review!
VanessaAisel
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessaaisel.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by VanessaAisel »

"As a former teenager" I love that line! This sounds like a book my 14 year old would really enjoy! Thank you for the great review on this one!
The only escape to my pain is within the lives of storybook characters.
~Me~
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

Thanks for your comments, everyone!
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I'm far from a teenager or young adult, but the review really made me curious about the book. I love stories with supernatural elements in them (as long as the paranormal doesn't border horror), so it's an additional plus for me. Great review, MsTri.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Such an interesting take on "mirror mirror on the wall" this is a must read. I think young adults would also enjoy it.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Forgiveness is definitely important. Not only for others but also for your self (perhaps even more so then.) Hannah sounds like a remarkable girl. Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

Thank you, @kislany; I too passed the teenage and young adult years ages ago, but I still love YA books, almost above all, ha-ha...

@Mercy Bolo, @kandscreeley, Definitely!
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

I love YA books and this sounds like a great one. Thank you for the wonderful review. You've convinced me to go check out the sample, especially with your commentary about the Jekyll and Hyde aspects. I love books like that.
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

Wonderful, @Mallory Whitaker! I hope you enjoy it. And thanks for commenting.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Great review. I think it's an interesting story. One good for reflection and moving forward.
Ubheeram Nina
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 77

Post by Ubheeram Nina »

I'm going to read it cause supernatural topics i like. Even a touch of psychological will spice my reading. Hope it will be my expectation.
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I love YA and things with a supernatural hint to them, so I might check this one out. Thanks for a great review :)
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I enjoyed your review! I love YA books, but I don't always like this genre of YA as it comes across as...I don't know, trying too hard sometimes. Preachy other times. And then sometimes it is just graphic or shocking but only on the surface, without the sense of reality. So when there is a book that is well done, I jump on it. :)

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”