Review of Papi, Por Favor!

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nenye Charles
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nenye-charles.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Review of Papi, Por Favor!

Post by Nenye Charles »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Papi, Por Favor!" by Rossana Snee.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

“Papi, Por Favor!” by Rossana Snee is an interesting fictitious book that revolves around five besties: Madison, Caro, Tina, Mari, and Elena. Madison gets adopted by the Pérezes after her parents' deaths. She and the twins are forced to grow up in a home where either dating or hanging out with boys is highly prohibited until they come of age.

Madison falls head-over-heels for Ben, the new boy from Tempe. Unfortunately, she isn’t the only one in love with Ben. Madison fights to keep her feelings secret from the girls. In a bid to cover herself up, she tells lies upon lies. How long will it last until she blows her cover? How will Papi react if he finds out?

I like that Madison was taken in by Papi and Mami after the loss of her parents. The love and care showered on her helped her forget the traumatic loss, and she began living a normal life, surrounded by people she now calls family. I also like how she accepted wearing the horrible-looking vest to please Mami. It shows how far she can go to make her loved ones happy. I equally admired the fact that her attraction to Ben didn’t stall her studies, which would have been the case for some of her age-mates in love.

There was an aspect I didn’t really like about the book. Papi was overly strict with the girls, and I didn’t like the way he jumped to a hasty conclusion and decided to transfer them to a Catholic school. It would have been better if he followed up on the matter in a more diplomatic way. However, I believe he did what he felt was best for the family. Again, I was quite alarmed by the high occurrence of profanities freely used by characters less than eighteen years old. For this, I rate it 4 out of 5 stars. Besides these aspects, the characters were well developed, and I got to learn more about Ben’s family background. While reading, I didn’t discover any errors, which makes me believe the book is perfectly edited.

This book is ideal for young adults, as they’ll find the idea of young romance interesting. Again, it is ideal for parents, so they can judge if Papi’s decisions concerning his family were the best ones to make.

Papi, Por Favor!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 1027
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Severed Roots by Nego Huzcotoq
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

As a parent myself I can see how Papi’s feelings could occur and I can also see how he feels that being very strict is the way to go. But I can also see things from the perspective of the girls. The inflexibility of some parents will backfire and cause the very behaviors that they are trying to prevent. Thanks!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”