Official Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Bloody Book" by Chris Bowen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Bloody Book was published in late 2016 and written by Chris Bowen, a recognized high school teacher from California. As Teacher of the Year for his high school, school district, and for Los Angeles County, Bowen’s success and teaching ability far surpasses that of the average high school teacher. His story, unique and full of remembrance, pulls readers in with a yearning passion. The story is told in the form of narration by the main character, Maxx.

Like most young scholars, Maxx entered Kindergarten with an eager thirst for knowledge and a love for reading and learning. Kindergarteners all seem so happy to be in the presence of knowledge- but fast forward a few years and that yearning is simply gone for some. By thirteen, Maxx and several of his peers are placed in what they refer to as “Reading Hell,” which can only be synonymous with a remedial class for the uninterested. What happened? When did they just stop caring? Maxx’s chilling experience to the point when he stops caring is devastating and hard to forget, and one you simply will not be able to put down.

First of all, I read the entire story in one sitting. It’s not a long story by any means, but I mean, I read 162 pages straight without so much as a ten second break. I could feel Maxx’s frustration and sense of defeat intensely. Because most of the children mentioned in the story are falling behind and giving up due to their home lives, I was immensely sad for them. As the parent to a First Grader, I often volunteer for school activities. Although my son has never experienced hunger or homelessness, walking through those halls can be crushing to imagine what some children live through once 3 PM comes.

Although the story is fiction, it reads as one of those lasting-impression stories that you want to tell everyone about. I feel as though it’s a potentially great read for Young Adults and teachers, in order to give them a glimpse to what they could possibly encounter. Because most of the children have given up and lost hope because of their home lives, the themes within the story include domestic violence, drug use, homelessness and despair. One of the secondary characters who immensely stands out is a teacher in “Reading Hell.” Mr. Foxx takes a new turn on his teaching antics, one that he hopes will leave a lasting impression on the kids.

I’m pleased to give A Bloody Book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. The story line was delivered with a precision that shows an understanding for despair, while also communicating the importance of education for yourself and your own future. The editing was well-done, as I found no errors throughout reading. I would recommend the story to generally anyone, but especially to teachers and young adults.

A Bloody Book
View: on Bookshelves

Like klbradley's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Ana Njeri
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-njeri.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Ana Njeri »

Great review. The book although fictional gives a clear impression of what goes on in the life of a child education wise. It's heart breaking
A ship is safe in the harbor but that's not what ships are for. So be the person outside the box, get out of your comfort zone, that's the person you want to be.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A tale that communicates the importance of education sounds like an important read for educators and YA. I am glad you found the book engrossing. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Kourtney Bradley

Thank you!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

klbradley wrote:[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Bloody Book" by Chris Bowen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Bloody Book was published in late 2016 and written by Chris Bowen, a ..
A Bloody Book
View: on Bookshelves

Like klbradley's review? Post a comment saying so!
#HeartWrenching #YoungAdult #Education #School #Hope pic.twitter.com/Fawk7MofGw A teacher transforms child's life frm inside out. Loved it❤️
Thanks for the amazing review.
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review! I can actually feel how much you liked this book. Even though this is a work of fiction it reflects the reality of how a child’s home life can really impact their education and love for learning. I agree that this book will be good for everyone but especially young adults and teachers. Thanks so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

Sounds like a heart breaking story but a must read especially to teachers, parents and all the stakeholders in the child's education. Thanks for the great review!
Kourtney Bradley

Thank you all for checking it out !
–Vera Nazarian
Ana-Maria-Diana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana »

Thank you for the review! You made me really curious about the kids and their feelings. I think it will be an interesting reading.
Kourtney Bradley

Ana-Maria-Diana wrote:Thank you for the review! You made me really curious about the kids and their feelings. I think it will be an interesting reading.
It certainly was an interesting read! Thank you for checking out my review!
–Vera Nazarian
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an incredible book that we should all strive to read. Amazing review as always.
Now I know what my little brother feels when I force him to finish his homework.
Kourtney Bradley

Ferdinand_otieno wrote:This is an incredible book that we should all strive to read. Amazing review as always.
Now I know what my little brother feels when I force him to finish his homework.
Thank you!
–Vera Nazarian
Uwazie Emmanuel
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwazie-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Uwazie Emmanuel »

Thanks for the enlightening review. I would love to read the book as I am a teacher and I feel it will inform me on my profession.
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
lucky time
Currently Reading: The Five Musketeers
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by lucky time »

This review is made by someone who really felt reading! And this is the merit of the book !!
Kourtney Bradley

Thank you!
–Vera Nazarian

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”