Official Review: The Memoir of Valentine Koremdakoff for ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: The Memoir of Valentine Koremdakoff for ...

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Memoir of Valentine Koremdakoff for His Daughter" by Danica Mara Shuck.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Memoir of Valentine Koremdakoff by Danica Mara Shuck is a novel in the young adult fiction genre. The book is just over 100 pages and takes place in the year 1639. The book is written in the first person point of view wherein Valentine Koremdakoff tells us his story in a journal format.

Valentine is a vampire. He's had many experiences and already lived more years than most humans. He lives in the village of Zukrag and protects them from the war that is raging all around them. Unfortunately, the villagers don't care about his protection and think that he is an abomination. They have even gone so far as to kill his daughter. The question is will he continue to protect this village even after what they have done? Or will he leave them to their own devices?

I know exactly what is going through your head right now. "Not another vampire story. That's way overdone." Before you count this book out entirely, let me say that there is more to it than just the fact that Valentine is a vampire. In fact, I'd say that that's just a part of his personality. The author focuses on his grief over the loss of his daughter as well as the mood of the village and the war raging around them. For that, I am grateful.

I enjoyed seeing the world through Valentine's eyes. Through the journal format, we were able to learn about his history and where he came from as well as the current events. I was just as intrigued about how he came to be as I was about what he was going to do with those that killed his daughter. However, this format does leave something to be desired. The main character is only Valentine himself. Everyone else is a secondary character. This might not be so bad; but, because this is written in first person, we don't learn anything about the other characters. This makes everyone but Valentine feel flat and undeveloped.

As for Valentine, he is a conflicted character. Quite often he quotes from the Bible. One of his wives was a Christian. He believes that his daughter accepted Jesus before she was killed (and he uses something very similar to those words.) Yet, he claims to not be a believer. He admits that there was one Jesus and that he died upon a cross. This leaves me confused. Is the author trying to write a Christian book? Is Valentine eventually going to turn his life over to Christ? If not, I'm not sure why the author has added so many Christian elements to the story. In the end, it's just a puzzle that I couldn't solve.

One of the other things that I had an issue with was the author's treatment of cusswords. Since this is in the young adult genre, profanity should be used sparingly if at all. In this book, the author basically censors herself using dotted lines instead of the curse word. Not only is this annoying, but it becomes kind of pointless as well. Most everyone (including teenagers) will know to what word she is referring. The first sentence, for example, states, "War is a -----." This occurs quite often. In my opinion, either you need to use the cussword or alter the sentence. Don't try to use a swear word without using it. That's just annoying.

There were also small errors located here and there throughout the text. In some sentences, for example, "ans" is used instead of "and." Also, the first few sentences of some chapters were in a bigger font. Not all of the chapters were that way, though. If there was a rhyme or reason behind this, I didn't figure it out. Also, the whole book seemed to be in bold print. This wasn't wrong, but it was unnecessary.

Now to the hardest part of the review, the rating. I enjoyed the story. I think it has great potential. But there were too many issues for me to give The Memoir of Valentine Koremdakoff any more than 2 out of 4 stars. These issues include the formatting and grammatical errors as well as lack of character development and the use of swear words without using swear words. I believe, with some revision, this story could be a winner. I hesitantly recommend this to those who enjoy fictional memoirs; however, I would caution any potential readers that there is also a cliffhanger ending.

The Memoir of Valentine Koremdakoff for His Daughter
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

I can understand why the dots irritated you. I got irritated only by reading it in your review. It does seem pointless to leave dots for profanities. It is like neither here nor there but somewhere. Valentine also appears to be an underdeveloped character. As always you wrote a great review!
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

Great review but this doesn't sound like it would fit me.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

The Researcher wrote:I can understand why the dots irritated you. I got irritated only by reading it in your review. It does seem pointless to leave dots for profanities. It is like neither here nor there but somewhere. Valentine also appears to be an underdeveloped character. As always you wrote a great review!
I agree. Either use the profanity or don't. I don't care either way, but the dots are just pointless! :) Thanks for commenting.

-- 27 Sep 2017, 07:33 --
juliusotinyo wrote:Great review but this doesn't sound like it would fit me.
Thanks julius! I think with some editing, it could be really good.
—Neil Gaiman
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

Oh man, it really sux that it deserved 2 stars. I'm a sucker for vampire stories (way before the Twilight books), so based on your review, I was really looking forward to adding it to my shelf to read. I might still read it, but maybe in its next incarnation when all these problems are fixed.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

It wasn't a horrible read. It just could have been better. You could still give it a try, but it's just okay.
—Neil Gaiman
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

This sounds like it could have been a really great book. That's too bad about the errors and lack of character development. I don't think I'll be giving this one a read, but who knows, I might just because the rest of it sounds great. Great review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

It had it's good and bad points... Hence a 2. It just seemed equal in good and bad. Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I find it frustrating when it is not clear as to whether a novel is meant to be Christian fiction or just plain 'ole fiction.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Catinthehat- I definetly couldn't quite tell with this one. There was an awful lot of Christianity if it wasn't meant to be Christian. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Zelinda »

kandscreely, nice review. I agree with you on all the reasons why you had to give the book a lesser rating and I'm sorry it was that way, because this actually sounded like a book with a lot of potential. Yes, I'm one of those "another vampire book" bemoaners. But it did sound like this one was different.. Still I probably won't read it.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

It was different. It almost had a historical fiction leaning to it. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Well, I am glad it's "Not [just] another vampire story." From the book cover he kind of looks like Blade (from the vampire superhero movie (Blade) You nees to see it if you haven't.) Though it didn't turn out so well, I'd like to see thru Valentine's eyes... Great review as always.
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Cloe101
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloe101.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Cloe101 »

I love vampire stories, nice review.
What you want is 15 Christmases on December 25th, 15 birthdays, 15 years of sleeping next to him and waking up with him
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

I enjoyed reading your review, the points you pointed out are very helpful. I must say, Valentine is a way better person then I am, I would be plotting revenge, let alone considering protecting them!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”