Official Review: The Asquinn Twins Come To Forest Lake

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: The Asquinn Twins Come To Forest Lake

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Asquinn Twins Come To Forest Lake" by Grace Brooks.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Stories written for young readers are always among the books top on my list. When I saw the cover of this particular book, I was automatically fascinated.

The Asquinn Twins Come to Forest Lake is a story about the Asquinn Twins, Martin and Martha, who accompany their parents as their father moves the family from Aberystwyth, Wales to Forest Lake, Canada, to follow his life’s mission and answer to his calling of spreading the Gospel. The twins are anxious and excited to leave the only home that they have ever known.

As they travel to Canada, the family encounters opposition and they are forced to continue their journey as they look for a place to settle. The Asquinns are excited when they arrive in Forest Lake and they soon set up their home.

As Mr. Asquinn sets up the Church, the initial meetings are only attended by few congregants. This, however, does not deter him. He continues to preach and spread the Gospel passionately and with time the Church grows steadily. Martin and Martha start school and go on to make new friends and with time, Forest Lake starts feeling like home.

Their life is not without challenges. Conrad Cameron, a distant relative of the Asquinns, seeks to destroy them through the use of witchcraft. Throughout the book, there is a constant strain between the two families.

The book’s main focus is the presentation of the two perspectives of spiritual life that include evil and good and the constant conflict between these two forces. Grace Brooks’ intention is to present the reality of evil and let the reader understand and feel its impact. The book is a work of fiction written with a particular focus on young readers who may be seeking to understand the contrast between good and evil.

As I began reading The Asquinn Twins Come to Forest Lake, I was immediately captivated by the way the story began with the Asquinn family preparing to leave their home and embark on a journey that would change their lives. However, the author failed to maintain this grip of suspense on me and as the story progressed, it turned out to be monotonous and uneventful. Most of the scenes to me were mostly predictable.

Some parts of the book really confused me. An example is the abrupt introduction of Conrad Cameron into the story and his sudden exit from the scenes in the story he appears. As the antagonist in the story, I felt that the author did not sufficiently develop his character. Unfortunately, other key characters are also poorly developed.

Too many aspects that make a good story are lacking in the book, it felt like the author wrote the book in a hurry. Too many grammatical errors are also contained in the book. Yet I feel that The Asquinn Twins Come to Forest Lake has great potential. The author could have easily spun most scenes into action that could easily compel any reader. There are also possible avenues in the book that the author could have exploited to develop each key character.

Despite what the book lacks, Grace Brooks maintains a consistent theme of the constant clash between good and evil, throughout her narration. The story also contains important values that the reader can emulate such as courage, kindness even in the face of cruelty, and consistency in faith. I, therefore, rate the book 2 out of 4 stars.

The Asquinn Twins Come To Forest Lake
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I read this book before and I completely agree with you, especially about the antagonist. He wasn't developed enough and wasn't a good antagonist at all.

Great Review! :D
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like there needs to be some editing. Once that takes place, it will be a really good story. I hope the author takes your advice. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Zelinda »

Thanks for your reveiw. Good job. I couldn't help feeling apprehensive about the book as I read your review. I have a hard time with "evil" particularly when it is presented to young children, so I don't know if this is one I would want my grandchildren to read. Maybe I'm like the proverbial ostrich, but I just don't want to impose a life view that dwells on evil. I don't know if this does or not, but I probably won't read it to find out.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

The premise sounds very promising. Too bad, though, about the overall execution of the book. Good job on the review.
GPM
Favorite Book: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gpm.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by GPM »

I also liked the cover. The beginning of the story is also interesting but it is sad to know that the antagonist's character was not developed, as with his scenes. Hope the author considers editing the book becausecit has potential.
"A man learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people." - Will Rogers
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Cloe101
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloe101.html

Post by Cloe101 »

It really sounded good, I hope the author will listen to your advice
What you want is 15 Christmases on December 25th, 15 birthdays, 15 years of sleeping next to him and waking up with him
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Sounds like it needs a bit of improvement and it'll be perfect
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Post by EmunahAn »

Amagine wrote:I read this book before and I completely agree with you, especially about the antagonist. He wasn't developed enough and wasn't a good antagonist at all.

Great Review! :D
Thanks Amagine. I had a lot of hope when I began reading the book which quickly declined. I still think though that the book has good potential.

-- 30 Sep 2017, 04:49 --
kandscreeley wrote:It sounds like there needs to be some editing. Once that takes place, it will be a really good story. I hope the author takes your advice. Thanks for the review.
Thanks Kandscreeley. I hope she does too.

-- 30 Sep 2017, 04:52 --
Zelinda wrote:Thanks for your reveiw. Good job. I couldn't help feeling apprehensive about the book as I read your review. I have a hard time with "evil" particularly when it is presented to young children, so I don't know if this is one I would want my grandchildren to read. Maybe I'm like the proverbial ostrich, but I just don't want to impose a life view that dwells on evil. I don't know if this does or not, but I probably won't read it to find out.
Hi Zelinda, thank you for reading my review. The writer's style is too aggressive when writing about evil which may not be very appropriate as you have noted.

-- 30 Sep 2017, 05:00 --
kimmyschemy06 wrote:The premise sounds very promising. Too bad, though, about the overall execution of the book. Good job on the review.
Thanks Kimmyschemy06 for reading the review!

-- 30 Sep 2017, 05:04 --
GPM wrote:I also liked the cover. The beginning of the story is also interesting but it is sad to know that the antagonist's character was not developed, as with his scenes. Hope the author considers editing the book becausecit has potential.
:icon-rolleyes: I hope so too GPM

-- 30 Sep 2017, 05:06 --
Cloe101 wrote:It really sounded good, I hope the author will listen to your advice
Thanks Cloe101! :)

-- 30 Sep 2017, 05:07 --
geoffrey ngoima wrote:Sounds like it needs a bit of improvement and it'll be perfect
Sure Geoffrey :wink2:
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

Too bad that the author did not put much effort on the book.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”