Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Young Adult Fiction Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Senior year by Jeremy C. Stanek

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.

Official Review: Senior year by Jeremy C. Stanek

Post Number:#1 by MarisaRose
» 01 Sep 2017, 10:58

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Senior year" by Jeremy C. Stanek.]

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Review by MarisaRose
Share This Review

Senior Year by Jeremy C. Stanek is a YA novella that tackles heavy themes like bullying, sexuality, friendships and the transition to adulthood. Alyssa Jones starts her senior year of high school with the same trepidation she’s felt at the beginning of every past school year. The target of many bullies, Alyssa has never felt comfortable in her own skin because she’s ridiculed for her looks, her ethnicity, and just about any other reason her bullies come up with. Luckily, she’s kept her most personal secret from them; a secret that will surely increase their nastiness towards her if discovered. Thankfully, a new student, Mark, befriends Alyssa at the onset of the school year, and the two form a friendship based on common interests that makes each day bearable. Alyssa feels comfortable confiding in Mark, but when her secret is exposed, both of their lives change forever.

The narrative of Senior Year is fast paced, and the author crams quite a bit of character development into this relatively short read (the novella is a little over one-hundred pages). This is exemplified by Alyssa's fully developed persona; it is easy to picture her home life as well as understand her feelings and commiserate with her frustrations. The use of the third person limited perspective successfully drew focus away from other characters, enabling the reader to quickly form an intimate bond with Alyssa.

That being said, there were some secondary character traits and important plot points that felt overdrawn and too obvious. Unfortunately, this led to a somewhat anticlimactic reveal at the end. However, given the target audience, this book may still pack some unexpected punch with less experienced readers. This book would be most enjoyed by early high school students; the writing style and somewhat obvious content may be too pedestrian for older YA readers.

Although the story was, for the most part, captivating, the writing proved to be a distraction. This book is in dire need of a thorough round of editing. Grammatical errors plague the narrative starting on the very first page when what should be ‘area’ is written as ‘are.’ The editorial issues littered throughout the pages were a significant enough distraction to influence the final rating.

For the most part, the story of Alyssa Jones’ senior year carried me along, and I really enjoyed getting to know the character of Alyssa. Due to the fact that this book is most appropriate for younger YA readers, the somewhat obvious outcomes did not impact the final rating. However, the poor editing did lead to the subtraction of one star, leaving Senior Year with a final rating of 3 out of 4 stars.

Senior year
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading: The Western Star
Bookshelf Size: 168 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 316%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Senior year by Jeremy C. Stanek

Post Number:#2 by kandscreeley
» 03 Sep 2017, 15:12

I'm sorry the writing too away from the message and enjoyment of the book. It's too bad when the reveal is anticlimactic as well. I'm glad you were able to find some enjoyment though.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "The Other side:" by Seth Ramey
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 100 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 82%

Post Number:#3 by The Researcher
» 04 Sep 2017, 07:46

The story looks promising. Too bad it has so many editing issues.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
The Researcher's Latest Review: "Imperfect Bond" by Timberly Simmons
The Researcher

Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 97 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 160%

Post Number:#4 by Mercy Bolo
» 04 Sep 2017, 10:54

Bullying is such a serious problem. It's always good to have a shoulder to lean on.
Mercy Bolo's Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita
Mercy Bolo

Favorite Book: The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 37 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#5 by Alicnim
» 04 Sep 2017, 11:15

Not my favourite genre but your review is encouraging.
Alicnim's Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing
Alicnim

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#6 by geoffrey ngoima
» 04 Sep 2017, 16:38

Look like it was coming along well, apart from the editing, It's something I can give my 2/3 days to. Great review
Taste all the love and sorrow, but don't drink the wine.~ "Reign"
geoffrey ngoima's Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
geoffrey ngoima

Currently Reading: God Versus The Idea of God
Bookshelf Size: 72 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 22%

Post Number:#7 by Mtsweni Nelsy
» 08 Sep 2017, 11:26

Thanks for the review, the books sounds interesting I should read it!
Mtsweni Nelsy

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 24 Books
Goal Completion: 8%