Do you read New Adult or Young Adult fiction?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Re: Do you read New Adult or Young Adult fiction?

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

I've never heard of "New Adult." I'm trying to debate how much YA I want to read nowadays anyway. The school setting and teenage characters just don't seem appealing to me. I'm sure there are plenty of really good YA books and I wouldn't mind reading them. I'd love to read New Adult as well. I suppose it all comes down to if they book is written well enough to appeal to their target audience as well as older adults.
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
jomoyes
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jomoyes »

I honestly haven't come across any books that I would consider NA, though I've heard of the genre. I would be willing to read them if I did, as long as the plot sounded interesting. I'm pretty much an equal opportunity reader.
Helpme71
Favorite Book: The Cruel Romance
Currently Reading: Last Shot
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helpme71.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Helpme71 »

I have never heard of the "New Adult" fiction category, but it seems intriguing. It's a tough decision for me, truthfully. I like the appeal of YA books, but I am moving into the "new adult" stage of my life, and I am finding that YA books are slowly becoming less and less relatable as the years go by. Unfortunate for me, as YA was, for a long time, my favorite genre. I can only hope to stay up-to-date with the YA novels for my future students!
"Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world." -Nelson Mandela

"Ye are our epistle, written in our hearts, known and read of all men;" -2 Corinthians 3:2 (ASV)
Cristal2408
Favorite Book: Magic Shifts
Currently Reading: El honor perdido de Katharina Blum
Bookshelf Size: 463
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristal2408.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by Cristal2408 »

jomoyes wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 09:10 I honestly haven't come across any books that I would consider NA, though I've heard of the genre. I would be willing to read them if I did, as long as the plot sounded interesting. I'm pretty much an equal opportunity reader.
Try J. Lynn for good NA books. The author's real name is Jennifer L. Armentrout and usually only writes YA which are pretty good too.
It's no use to go back to yesterday... I was a different person then.---Lewis Carrol from Alice in Wonderland
Brookemaywatson

Post by Brookemaywatson »

Iv never noticed the term new adult I tend to go for a young adult book although now I know the meaning of new adult I have read and enjoyed a fair about of books that fit in the category.
Aixa Miller
Currently Reading: Wicked Designs
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aixa-miller.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Aixa Miller »

I read both, but more young adult than new adult. I guess it all depends on the genre of the book.
Anabiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Anabiya »

Iam a mature Adult so i won't stop to buy and read the young Adult book right now but when I'll have my own children who will reach the Adulthood, I would really like to read some.
Rebecca AR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154

Post by Rebecca AR »

The YA genre has certainly seen a resurgence in recent years (anecdotally, mainly amongst women in their 20s and 30s) and it's an interesting phenomenon. I think perhaps it's more to do with ease of reading, than anything particularly interesting about age of characters. Or maybe it does say something about us still feeling 'in between', or in a period of rapid growth and change, despite being out of adolescence...

Anyway, I have read and enjoyed a few books that I would consider NA, but I've never heard of that label.
J3nni315
Currently Reading: Music to My Ears (Pre-Release Beta Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j3nni315.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by J3nni315 »

The only New Adult author that I know of is Sarah J. Maas. I really enjoy her books because they are a nice transition from young adult to adult books. I like New Adult because the characters are in their early twenties, which is easier for me to relate to.
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

When I was in high school around 10th and 11th grade, definitely YA. Other than that, now, neither really.
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
Natalie_Taylor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-taylor.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Natalie_Taylor »

The New Adult genre targets people aged 18-midtwenties. Like you said, it's intended for people going through some new things in their life. It's meant for people who are older than YA is a target audience for, but not really interested in truly adult stories.

NA tends to be a bit edgier than YA, so I guess it depends on what kind of mood I'm in. Right now, I'd really did a good NA.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

inaramid wrote: 27 Nov 2017, 03:50 It's my first time encountering the term "New Adult" too. I'm interested in a lot of things, but I do tend to gravitate toward the YA genre because of the concepts.
I have never really minded the age of the character though, for as long as he/she is someone I can empathize with.
I've never heard of New Adult either, but I don't think I'd be against reading it. I actually can't even imagine what an NA book would be like in comparison to a YA books because I also think it all comes down to the characters, regardless of their age. If I like the character, I'll most likely enjoy the book.
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

New Adult is a... new genre. Young Adult is also a relatively new genre. Heck, children's literature is technically less than a century old! There weren't always these labels and it is interesting to see the expansion, although if we start labeling everything, it will get too murky.

I tend to group the two (New and Young) together for simplicity. I know that there is a difference, and I can identify a book written for a fifteen-year-old and one written for a twenty-five-year old.

I am a 1990s kid--I've heard us referred to as the "nostalgic generation" because we experienced so much change in so little time that we like to revisit the past more than other generations. I think that New/Young adult books abate that need for returning to the past because I don't quite identify with middle-aged characters but I'm no longer a teen (or even new adult). My upbringing was a bit tumultuous so reading stories of others from that time somewhat romanticizes being a teen, even a troubled one.

I miss the mindset of being a teen, kinda. Would I choose New Adult over Young? I should probably start moving that way as I continue aging, but I don't know that I'm ready to separate the two just yet.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

I've not heard of New Adult fiction. I do enjoy Young Adult fiction now and then.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
Brooknichols

Post by Brooknichols »

I am always in the young adult section first and in all honesty it doesn't hurt my pride at all to be called an young adult to be honest. I don't understand the huge deal about "young adult" to "new adult." New adult makes me sound like I don't know what I'm doing and in all honesty I don't but I don't want to be reminded.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”