Official Review: A Short Story about Giants

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Official Review: A Short Story about Giants

Post by dhomespot »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Short Story about Giants" by Richard Crowe.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Short Story About Giants by Richard Crowe is a great recounting of a conversation between a grandfather and his grandson. This is a story not only about making a connection with your loved ones, but also showing them that history can be found in more than just history books. The grandfather’s goal is to keep his grandson, Cody, interested in learning something new all the time. In the past, it was common for families to sit around and tell the history of the family to the younger kids. To me, it is a lost art form and our children are missing out on the history of their own families.

I remember learning just the basic story of David and Goliath. The way this grandfather related the story made such an impact on Cody, the grandson, that he will remember it for the rest of his life. It also sparked his interest in learning more about giants. His grandfather is savvy enough to use this chance to teach Cody parts of the Bible and an ongoing history that we rarely pay attention too.

Cody’s interest was not the only one that was piqued during this brief history on giants. I found myself doing a lot of research after I finished reading it. I found it interesting that there were rarely any women giants. I guess that would explain, partially, why their height went from 14 ft down to 7-8 ft. There is also a potential explanation on why there are very few giants now.

This short story is only about 13 pages long, but it packs a powerful punch. There is even room to throw in a bit of a love story in the telling. This is not a book that will be easily forgotten, and I look forward to reading it to my grandchildren to see what kind of questions it may spark from them. I love reading about history that really has nothing to do with wars. Now days, it seems like that is all we learn about history. We do not realize that history is made every day that we live, or that our grandchildren will learn this history when they are in school.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I wish we would all would find a way to teach our children a little history every day. I do not mean the history that is taught at schools, but the history that is just a tad bit different. The history that actually makes you want to learn more about it. This grandfather found a way to inspire Cody to take an interest and ask more questions. If we make history interesting, we would want to learn it more, and learn from it better.

A Short Story about Giants
View: on Bookshelves

Like dhomespot's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

You are right. We probably don't do as much of this as we should. Children aren't even around their grandparents as much any more, and it's a shame. Thanks for a good review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

So true. History is found in more than just history books. We need to revive the dying art of oral literature.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I absolutely agree that people should take the time out to teach children some history every single day. This is some great advice.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by bookiegalke »

dhomespot wrote:[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Short Story about Giants" by Richard Crowe.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Short Story About Giants by Richard Crowe is a great recounting of a conversation between a grandfather and his grandson. This is a story not only about making a connection with your loved ones, but also showing them that history can be found in more than just history books. The grandfather’s goal is to keep his grandson, Cody, interested in learning something new all the time. In the past, it was common for families to sit around and tell the history of the family to the younger kids. To me, it is a lost art form and our children are missing out on the history of their own families.

I remember learning just the basic story of David and Goliath. The way this grandfather related the story made such an impact on Cody, the grandson, that he will remember it for the rest of his life. It also sparked his interest in learning more about giants. His grandfather is savvy enough to use this chance to teach Cody parts of the Bible and an ongoing history that we rarely pay attention too.

Cody’s interest was not the only one that was piqued during this brief history on giants. I found myself doing a lot of research after I finished reading it. I found it interesting that there were rarely any women giants. I guess that would explain, partially, why their height went from 14 ft down to 7-8 ft. There is also a potential explanation on why there are very few giants now.

This short story is only about 13 pages long, but it packs a powerful punch. There is even room to throw in a bit of a love story in the telling. This is not a book that will be easily forgotten, and I look forward to reading it to my grandchildren to see what kind of questions it may spark from them. I love reading about history that really has nothing to do with wars. Now days, it seems like that is all we learn about history. We do not realize that history is made every day that we live, or that our grandchildren will learn this history when they are in school.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I wish we would all would find a way to teach our children a little history every day. I do not mean the history that is taught at schools, but the history that is just a tad bit different. The history that actually makes you want to learn more about it. This grandfather found a way to inspire Cody to take an interest and ask more questions. If we make history interesting, we would want to learn it more, and learn from it better.

for a book that is only 13 pages long, it sure is a quick as well as an interesting read.

-- 02 Sep 2017, 01:12 --
dhomespot wrote:[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Short Story about Giants" by Richard Crowe.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

I am one of the kids that "miss[ed] out on the history of their own families", it's too bad, but I am glad we have a chance with such books, great review.
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Marie Kala
Currently Reading: The Mirror Thief
Bookshelf Size: 69

Post by Marie Kala »

This sounds like an interesting book, and I agree, oral storytelling adds such dimension to a story and a different type of relationship for those telling and listening to the story. The retelling of David and golioth seems interesting. Thanks for the review!
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I really like this review. When I was at school, we studied the story of David and Goliath in the form of a musical, it still sticks with me to this day aha.
Also agree with learning about history. It seems the main topics taught these days is all about the wars, but there's so much more to learn.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like one great book. I love it already. I, for one, love Bible stories and I used to tell some of them to my kids when they were younger. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Richard Crowe on such an obviously well written book.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”