Dangerous Lies by Becca Fitzpatrick

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MindyW
Currently Reading: Allegiant
Bookshelf Size: 33

Dangerous Lies by Becca Fitzpatrick

Post by MindyW »

Stella, who's real name is Estella, just landed herself in a place far from home. Prosecution wants to keep their star witness safe. The best way to do this is to fly her, and her boyfriend, far away from Philly. Though, they can't go to the same hide out, Stella has no intention of forgetting him. She has secreted away a set of letters he once wrote to her, giving herself a lifeline to the life she was leaving behind. Her plans were simple; turn 18 in a few months, leave the dumpy town that Witness Relocation put her in, and eventually testify against Danny for the murder of "the Pharmacist." Danny, her mother's drug dealer, was not a good guy. He had promised her that she would die long before she could ever testify.

As for her mom, Savannah, she was holed up in rehab under a false name. It was the one place she should be, especially after ignoring her daughter for so long. Stella was the one who was the adult between them, always looking after her mom after she got too high, or was puking her guts out after popping pills. The one thing that had helped her get through the past two years was her boyfriend. Not being able to see him was heart wrenching. They had a secret email account, though. One they only needed to leave draft emails in so that they didn't have to be traced anywhere. No need. They could message each other like spies. It was the one sure thing she looked forward to.

Stella was not going to like this tumble weed of a town. She was positive she would hate Nebraska all together. Furthermore, she couldn't let anyone get the best of her. No way. So, when the town hero starts treating her badly, she is not going to take it lying down. No matter what he does to her!
Refusing to let others in was the plan, but it soon fades as she realizes that those around her are the first ones to actually care for her. Thing is, Mr. town hero has it out for her, and he will pull out all the stops to ruin her life. When he starts to recall where he knows her from, it really is the first thread of fear that Stella feels. If this drunk of a hero figures out her secret, the mob will come after her and will kill her for sure.
Oh, and if you think that's the only secret she has, you're dead wrong.

I'm glad to find a clean book with zero foul mouths. There is kissing, but who doesn't like a little romance? Under aged drinking, a pregnant 16 year old, and one undetailed moment of sex are the only things that may keep clean cut readers from delving in.

Personally, thought the story was cute, and I respect a clean book, I also felt the writer was not reaching her potential. I had read another book by the author and felt that was much better. Each person, each writer, gets better (hopefully) with time.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars, but really I am feeling as if this deserves to be a 2.5.

Mindy W.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”