Official Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Book 4

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Official Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Book 4

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Book 4" by Claire Youmans.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Toki Girl and the Sparrow Boy Book 4 by Claire Youmans is set in Japan during the Meiji era.The fourth book of a series, the story is written in the third person and told through various characters.

Azuki has the ability to transform into a Toki, a Japanese crested ibis, and her brother, Shota, can transform into a sparrow. Together, they accompany Renko, the Dragon Princess, to Tokyo to find an outfit for Yuta, the uncle of Azuki and Shota. They manage to buy some fabric in hopes of sewing together an outfit, but they realize that it’s more difficult than it looks. Meanwhile, Yuta goes to visit the Dragon King who helps him on his journey to Tokyo. In Tokyo, Yuta attends a conference that will change education in Japan, but he soon discovers that education is not the only thing changing in Japan. As he struggles to guide his family through the challenges that surround them, he finds himself drawn to a woman who seems to be holding a secret.

Although this book is listed under the young adult genre, I think it is more suited under the children’s genre. This is a great book for kids because it not only includes adventure, conflicts, and suspense, but it also provides information on Japanese culture and history. I love how the author masterfully blended Japanese culture, folklore, fantasy, and history together to make an interesting, but fictional story. The author also incorporated the struggles that many Japanese people faced when Western influences started to immerse into Japanese culture. I found the glossary at the end of the book to be helpful in defining a couple of Japanese words used in the book.

Moreover, I found the characters to be well developed and relatable. The author provided enough information on the background stories of the characters, so it was easy to keep up with the story. Although there were multiple characters in the book, I didn’t find it difficult to keep track of all the characters. I also liked how the author put a lot of details into the characters and their personalities. Each character had their own internal and external struggles, but they worked together to overcome them.

Although this is the fourth book of the series, this book makes a great stand alone novel. I have not read the previous books in the series, but I found this book easy to read. It is not necessary to read the previous books of the series to understand what was going on in this book. There is also a summary of the three previous books at the beginning of the book as well as a list of the characters.

Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I found this book to be captivating and original. There were even pictures of Japanese artwork in the beginning of every chapter, and they seemed to go along the story. Unfortunately, most of these pictures were blurry. I also noticed a few grammatical errors, but they didn't detract from the book. I would recommend this book to those who like to read adventure stories or are interested in Japanese culture.

The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Book 4
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
awazie
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by awazie »

Good i must say hope watching it on screen one day :techie-studyingbrown:
Kinnera
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinnera.html
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin

Post by Kinnera »

This sounds interesting. An unconventional culture and a new take on shifters. Thanks for the great review!
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Even after your review, I'm still not sure about this one. I appreciate your review. It was thorough and enjoyable. I'm just not sure I would enjoy the book. I'll think about it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

Kinnera wrote:This sounds interesting. An unconventional culture and a new take on shifters. Thanks for the great review!
Thanks for reading!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

Great review! It looks unique and interesting!
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

jemgirl202 wrote:Great review! It looks unique and interesting!
It is! Thanks for reading!
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Very nice review! The Japanese culture has always fascinated me. I have read many books whose plot revolves around Japan. May be I will give this one a try.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

The Researcher wrote:Very nice review! The Japanese culture has always fascinated me. I have read many books whose plot revolves around Japan. May be I will give this one a try.
You should! Thanks!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I've always saw this book and have always been interested in it. Especially since I do love the Japanese culture. I'm glad to hear the book is as good as it looks.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

Amagine wrote:I've always saw this book and have always been interested in it. Especially since I do love the Japanese culture. I'm glad to hear the book is as good as it looks.

Great Review! ?
Thanks!
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Sounds like an engaging book on Japanese culture. The descriptions of the story is vivid and robust. I know I will enjoy reading this. Thanks for a great review.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

Andrew Kyalo wrote:Sounds like an engaging book on Japanese culture. The descriptions of the story is vivid and robust. I know I will enjoy reading this. Thanks for a great review.
Thanks for reading!
nadzcabs
Currently Reading: The Crimson Heirlooms
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by nadzcabs »

The Toki-Girl and The Sparrow Boy is quite a good read though i didn't notice that it was a book series and i read the book 4 of the series, the setting is nice as japan has alot of fictional foklore specially during the warring eras of japan. it's captivating and wonderful it will let your imagination fly with everything that is happening in the story. i'll be reading this again as it is a very good story line.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

What an interesting concept. I like that you're able to learn more about the Japanese culture from this book. However, even though you mentioned that this could be read as a standalone, I still feel like I have to read the first in the series first!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”