Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Young Adult Fiction Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Book 4

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.

Official Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Book 4

Post Number:#1 by ZenaLei7
» 29 Jul 2017, 21:53

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Book 4" by Claire Youmans.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by ZenaLei7
Share This Review

The Toki Girl and the Sparrow Boy Book 4 by Claire Youmans is set in Japan during the Meiji era.The fourth book of a series, the story is written in the third person and told through various characters.

Azuki has the ability to transform into a Toki, a Japanese crested ibis, and her brother, Shota, can transform into a sparrow. Together, they accompany Renko, the Dragon Princess, to Tokyo to find an outfit for Yuta, the uncle of Azuki and Shota. They manage to buy some fabric in hopes of sewing together an outfit, but they realize that it’s more difficult than it looks. Meanwhile, Yuta goes to visit the Dragon King who helps him on his journey to Tokyo. In Tokyo, Yuta attends a conference that will change education in Japan, but he soon discovers that education is not the only thing changing in Japan. As he struggles to guide his family through the challenges that surround them, he finds himself drawn to a woman who seems to be holding a secret.

Although this book is listed under the young adult genre, I think it is more suited under the children’s genre. This is a great book for kids because it not only includes adventure, conflicts, and suspense, but it also provides information on Japanese culture and history. I love how the author masterfully blended Japanese culture, folklore, fantasy, and history together to make an interesting, but fictional story. The author also incorporated the struggles that many Japanese people faced when Western influences started to immerse into Japanese culture. I found the glossary at the end of the book to be helpful in defining a couple of Japanese words used in the book.

Moreover, I found the characters to be well developed and relatable. The author provided enough information on the background stories of the characters, so it was easy to keep up with the story. Although there were multiple characters in the book, I didn’t find it difficult to keep track of all the characters. I also liked how the author put a lot of details into the characters and their personalities. Each character had their own internal and external struggles, but they worked together to overcome them.

Although this is the fourth book of the series, this book makes a great stand alone novel. I have not read the previous books in the series, but I found this book easy to read. It is not necessary to read the previous books of the series to understand what was going on in this book. There is also a summary of the three previous books at the beginning of the book as well as a list of the characters.

Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I found this book to be captivating and original. There were even pictures of Japanese artwork in the beginning of every chapter, and they seemed to go along the story. Unfortunately, most of these pictures were blurry. I also noticed a few grammatical errors, but they didn't detract from the book. I would recommend this book to those who like to read adventure stories or are interested in Japanese culture.

The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Book 4
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
ZenaLei7's Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 46%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Book

Post Number:#2 by awazie
» 03 Aug 2017, 13:28

Good i must say hope watching it on screen one day :techie-studyingbrown:
awazie

Bookshelf Size: 0 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books

Post Number:#3 by Kinnera
» 03 Aug 2017, 13:36

This sounds interesting. An unconventional culture and a new take on shifters. Thanks for the great review!
Kinnera

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#4 by kandscreeley
» 03 Aug 2017, 13:44

Even after your review, I'm still not sure about this one. I appreciate your review. It was thorough and enjoyable. I'm just not sure I would enjoy the book. I'll think about it.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 88 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 71%

Post Number:#5 by ZenaLei7
» 03 Aug 2017, 13:58

Kinnera wrote:This sounds interesting. An unconventional culture and a new take on shifters. Thanks for the great review!

Thanks for reading!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#6 by jemgirl202
» 03 Aug 2017, 16:41

Great review! It looks unique and interesting!
jemgirl202's Latest Review: "The Dunston Blade" by John Nelson Daines
jemgirl202

Currently Reading: Here and Gone
Bookshelf Size: 23 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 10 Books
Goal Completion: 70%

Post Number:#7 by ZenaLei7
» 03 Aug 2017, 16:52

jemgirl202 wrote:Great review! It looks unique and interesting!

It is! Thanks for reading!
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#8 by The Researcher
» 04 Aug 2017, 03:40

Very nice review! The Japanese culture has always fascinated me. I have read many books whose plot revolves around Japan. May be I will give this one a try.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
The Researcher's Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael
The Researcher

Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 95 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 158%

Post Number:#9 by ZenaLei7
» 04 Aug 2017, 07:24

The Researcher wrote:Very nice review! The Japanese culture has always fascinated me. I have read many books whose plot revolves around Japan. May be I will give this one a try.

You should! Thanks!
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#10 by Amagine
» 06 Aug 2017, 07:45

I've always saw this book and have always been interested in it. Especially since I do love the Japanese culture. I'm glad to hear the book is as good as it looks.

Great Review! 💓
Secret To Writing A Bestseller

You write.
You stop dreaming of writing.
You stop talking about writing.
Stop wishing you were writing.
And you write.
Amagine's Latest Review: "Tales From A Nobody" by G.C. Cook
Amagine

Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Writing for Children and Teens
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 687 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 42%

Post Number:#11 by ZenaLei7
» 06 Aug 2017, 08:03

Amagine wrote:I've always saw this book and have always been interested in it. Especially since I do love the Japanese culture. I'm glad to hear the book is as good as it looks.

Great Review! 💓

Thanks!
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#12 by Quinto
» 06 Aug 2017, 12:06

Sounds like an engaging book on Japanese culture. The descriptions of the story is vivid and robust. I know I will enjoy reading this. Thanks for a great review.
Quinto's Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch
Quinto

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#13 by ZenaLei7
» 06 Aug 2017, 12:59

Andrew Kyalo wrote:Sounds like an engaging book on Japanese culture. The descriptions of the story is vivid and robust. I know I will enjoy reading this. Thanks for a great review.

Thanks for reading!
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page