Official Review: Green Lady by Jennifer Julander

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Official Review: Green Lady by Jennifer Julander

Post by LivreAmour217 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Green Lady" by Jennifer Julander.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jennifer Julander's The Green Lady whisks the reader away to an ancient realm of myth and magic. In the center of a great continent lies the kingdom of Elodria, a prosperous land filled with majestic woods. This is the home of Princess Cleandra, who would rather explore the forest than stay cooped up in her brother Friedrich's castle. Her carefree days come to an end with the arrival of Nymue, the woman to whom her brother is betrothed. King Friedrich is instantly smitten with this mysterious maiden, but dark forces are working in the background, and Cleandra finds herself at the center of an age-old struggle between good and evil. With the help of a mysterious man named Amnar, Cleandra must realize her true power and use it to stop the rising tide of darkness.

The Green Lady is a high fantasy novel with a fast-paced plot, plenty of twists, and a host of unique characters. Ms. Julander infuses Elodria and the surrounding lands with a uniqueness that helps them stand out from other fantasy stories, yet still manages to keep a familiarity that fans of this genre will find comforting. As I read this book, I felt as though I was simultaneously exploring a new world and revisiting a familiar childhood haunt.

The writing within this novel is lovely. Ms. Julander uses descriptive, varied language to describe her characters and settings, and transitions to different viewpoints with ease. There was no confusion concerning changes in point of view, and the plot flowed effortlessly from one event to the next. It was also apparent to me that Ms. Julander carefully edited this book, and I was hard-pressed to find errors.

My favorite aspect of this story is the use of strong female characters. Cleandra is intelligent and formidable in her own right, but her abilities are tempered by her concern for her home and the people she loves. Nymue is also powerful, and both young women are guided by other strong females. However, the women in this story are not empowered at the expense of the males; on the contrary, there are several male characters who contribute in valuable ways.

I have no criticisms of this story, but I must warn that it ends on a cliffhanger, so there may be some readers who are dissatisfied with the ending. However, my copy of the book did come with an excerpt from the sequel, The Curse of Brys, so there is definitely more to come. I look forward to reading the sequel in full!

The Green Lady is a worthy addition to the fantasy genre, and I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. This book will be a treat for lovers of fantasy, but I would also recommend it to anyone who appreciates a good story.

Green Lady
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LivreAmour217's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

Sounds enchanting! I love that you say the empowerment of the female characters doesn't come at the expense of the male characters. Weak male can be a put off. Thank you for the review.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds so wonderful! I love it already just from your summary. I also love that the characters are strong females! That always makes everything wonderful :) :) Thanks for the review. I'm putting this one on my list!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

Great review. Sad that this book ends with cliffhanging points but hope it covers it up in its sequel.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I'm not a big fan of fantasy books both I do love strong female characters. That might be reason enough for me to give this book a read.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
LadyLynn
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladylynn.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by LadyLynn »

These are precisely the types of novels that I love to read most! Great review and very nicely written!
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Thanks everyone for reading my review. I hope that you all get a chance to read this book. It is definitely worth it!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
kimuell Jay Noche ma
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kimuell Jay Noche ma »

Jennifer Julander's Green Lady is reminiscent of my favorite fantasy novels with a unique twist all its own. My first impression of budding author Jennifer Julander is, she knows what I want and what has been missing from my life for many years now. :cry:
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

kimuell Jay Noche ma wrote:Jennifer Julander's Green Lady is reminiscent of my favorite fantasy novels with a unique twist all its own. My first impression of budding author Jennifer Julander is, she knows what I want and what has been missing from my life for many years now. :cry:
I agree completely! Thank you for reading my review!
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

The book sounds really great! I love that there is a strong penchant for beautiful writing and strong female leads in this one. Thanks for the review!
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

MarisaRose wrote:The book sounds really great! I love that there is a strong penchant for beautiful writing and strong female leads in this one. Thanks for the review!
Thank you for reading my review :) It's a great book!
BookishBookkeeping
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishbookkeeping.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by BookishBookkeeping »

For a young adult book I like the storyline. I always enjoy stories about good verses evil and where strong females aren't so because they demean men. Both men and women can be strong. :D thanks for the good review.
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

BookishBookkeeping wrote:For a young adult book I like the storyline. I always enjoy stories about good verses evil and where strong females aren't so because they demean men. Both men and women can be strong. :D thanks for the good review.
Thank you for reading! I agree with you: anyone can be strong! That's one of the things that I loved about this book.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

It is a really good book. The story seems so interesting. I really appreciate your review. Good work :)
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Naval Aulakh wrote:It is a really good book. The story seems so interesting. I really appreciate your review. Good work :)
Thank you very much! :)

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”