Featured Official Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign [February 2020 Book of the Month]

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Re: Featured Official Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign [February 2020 Book of the Month]

Post by Guda Lydia »

Sound like an interesting read. A mix of scifi, romance and tension through Adam and his predicament. Seems like a read for adults too. Congratulations on the BOTD.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

This seems like an entertaining read, something that I might enjoy reading. Thanks for your review.
Edria Dayyinah
Favorite Book: We Were Liars
Currently Reading: Emma
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edria-dayyinah.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Edria Dayyinah »

Absolutely interesting premise! it reminds me of a few superhero movies I’ve watched before but it definitely has some added spice to the story
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

A fantastic tale of mutated humans who are having biokenretic abilities is nicely presented in the young adult Sci-Fi fantasy novel "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign, which follows 16-year old Adam who undergoes biokenretic change. The setting in Piure, California with essence of Russian ancestry, and romance makes it interesting to me.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

I’m not real sure on this just yet. I had to read the sample pages twice to figure out what was what! Lol. Thank you for your very beautifully, very detailed review, explaining the book. You make it sound very interesting!!
Good job!!
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: This Is Your Last Warning
Bookshelf Size: 606
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 58%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

The first installment in the Scion Saga, Opaque, by Calix Leigh-Reign is a YA Sci-Fi fantasy novel that entails mutated Limbal rings, Russian ancestry, and romance. Calix creates a mesmerizing tale with mutated humans, called descendants, which have biokenretic abilities. These abilities are a mutation in their biology that has been passed down from generation to generation.

Opaque is based in Piure, California where 16-year old Adam just went through his biokenretic change because of puberty. He is a troubled boy with even further disturbing thoughts that surround his mother and thinks that everyone at school are nothing but droids. When Carly Whit walks into Adam’s English classroom, it was like everything else disappeared. The inside of his chest starts vibrating, and he can smell the most amazing scent of cinnamon apple. As soon as he locks eyes with Carly, he knows that she’s different. Their romance saves him from his destructive nature and teaches Adam that he’s mutated. But what happens when Adam learns he is different and there are people out there trying to destroy or take the very mutation he just found out he has?

Not being a science fiction fan, I found this book very interesting because of the subject matter and characters. A school full of droids is an interesting way to describe high school and the fellow students. The fact that this mutated boy falls for a beautiful girl that must also be a mutant is a natural. Good review.
Aarti Jha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarti-jha.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aarti Jha »

I usually don't prefer sci-fi books but the storyline of this one seems really unique and interesting. Dealing with mutations is something that is natural and can't be called as complete fantasy. Plus I like the fact that the characters had to deal with the things that we all have to in our daily lives, like work,love and other things and i think i will be able to relate to them. Well-articulated review!
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Cosmander and The Crown by Meade Summers

Post by Smmwallace »

I love YA sci-fi fantasy, and this book sounds like a good one. I'm eager to learn more and follow Adam and Carly on their journey. Great review!
Shwetasona15
Currently Reading: The Viscount Who Loved Me (Bridgertons #2)
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shwetasona15.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Shwetasona15 »

This book certainly sounds interesting. I love a unique, world-building story that still stays in the realm of reality. YA is not my usual genre, but I would definitely like to read this one because it sounds lot more than a typical young adult. And X-Men has always been a classic favourite so if Opaque reminds its readers of it then I'll definitely give it a try.
Wafula Jnr
Currently Reading: Unknown Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wafula-jnr.html
Latest Review: The Last Bush Pilots by Eric Auxier

Post by Wafula Jnr »

I like stories of supernaturalism and superhuman. A must read indeed
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

Adult science fiction is my cup of tea. It seems an interesting read. I would love to finish reading this book as soon as possible. Congratulations on being botd.
Nathaniel Owolabi
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-owolabi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nathaniel Owolabi »

It's been a while since I read science fiction. However, reading this one makes me want to start reading just science fiction for now. This book is amazing, with its well-written plot and well-created character. I would have to read it to the very last page. If you're looking for a great science-fiction novel, this is one. Congratulations on the BOTD.
Jessica045
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica045.html
Latest Review: George by James H Russell

Post by Jessica045 »

A genre of sci-fi and a theme of mutation. This book would sure be an excellent read. Thanks for the review.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I like YA books, and I wanted to read this one after seeing lots of OBC reviews. Sounds like X-Men with some slice of life stories that normal people can relate to. Thanks for your review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Snigdha Roy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snigdha-roy.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith

Post by Snigdha Roy »

A typical boy-meets-girl with a unique storyline. Thanks for the amazing review!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”