Official Review: From The Sky by J. E.Nicassio

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Books_are_Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 940
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-are-life.html
Latest Review: The Gryphon by Paula Grover
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: From The Sky by J. E.Nicassio

Post by Books_are_Life »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "From The Sky" by J. E.Nicassio.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From the Sky by J. E.Nicassio

This is a sci-fi, romance novel for the young adult genre. The Sci-fi part of the book is focused around aliens from outer space. Romance in this book is the traditional young girl and a guy scenario. The main character is a young lady who is dealing with lots of grief and guilt. If you have lost anyone or have survival guilt you will connect with this character on a very deep level.

Samantha is struggling with the loss of both her mother and brother. She has been saved by a mysterious stranger from a car wreck where she lost her brother. Her mother died a year later in alleged accident but Sam believes it was suicide. Sam places the blame of their deaths on her shoulders. Because of this she is constantly taking pills and smoking as she tries to deal with this. Her father gets a new job in New Mexico causing her to move before the start of her senior year of high school. Within her first day she meat this incredible hot, strange guy named Lucien. She completely embarrasses herself but at the same time he creeps her out. Before too long an undeniable connection forms between these two. Lucien has secrets and as their connection begins to blossom his secrets puts Sam and him in danger. Will the two of them be able to survive his secrets and will their connections stay strong till the end?

I found this to be a wonderful book. The main issue I had with it was the transition between chapters was choppy. It would have been nice to have the chapters flow together better but it did not hamper the story at all. A small little grip about the character Sam is that she was a weak female lead I would have preferred her to be a stronger female character. Men do not need to save the day all the time she should take more of an active part in the action instead of just watching. The detail given in this book was perfect not too much, not too little, just right.

I rate this book to be 4 out of 4 stars. In reality this book is more of a 3.5. I rounded it up instead of down because of the amazing story telling of the author. I would also call this book to be a simple read. It is simple because the book just focuses on the main story there is truly no sub plots or anything. It is a nice in between heavy, complex reads.

Give the small issues I could not put this book down I finished it in a day. The pace of the book will keep you involved and moving forward in the story. I strongly recommend that everyone should read this book.

From The Sky
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Books_are_Life's review? Post a comment saying so!
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

The them of this story is relevant: most people tend to have feelings of guilt when deaths and other bad things happen within the family. The story must be interesting, the way you could not put it down; I'll like to get my hands on it. Thanks for a good review.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I read this book as well. I thought it was pretty good, but it was somewhat predictable. In spite of that, I thought it was still an enjoyable story. I would rate it 3 stars. I enjoyed your review and thoughts!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This sounds like an interesting book but it is very unfortunate that the female lead is a weak character. That is always a pet peeve of mine in any piece of fiction.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

This seems like an interesting read. I usually like to read sci-fi novels so I'll give this one a try. Great job on the review!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

This book sounds like a great read for someone who is trying to get into reading as a whole. I like a book that is not complicated with subplots. Great review.
christinac_2585
Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinac-2585.html
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by christinac_2585 »

I hate the female character was not strong as I like a good read with a female character that is strong in what she does. Other than that this book sounds interesting. Thank you for the review!
"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A girl who has been saved by a mysterious stranger from a car wreck and discovers a hidden world of real-life aliens? Sounds good! Too bad the transition between chapters was choppy. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

It's interesting that the author included a young character who deals with a lot of grief and survival guilt. It seems like a deep concept and connection in this simple storyline. I'm not a big Sci-fi fan, but sometimes a young romance can be exciting. Too bad about the transition issues and that Sam doesn't seem like a very strong female character. However, I'm glad that you were able to enjoy this read regardless! Thank you!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

I like the emotion and the sweet romance and the mystery and the hero aspects of the book. Great review

-- 13 Sep 2017, 08:37 --

I like the emotions and the sweet romance and the mystery and the hero aspects of the book. Great review
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Isaac Obeng Ebu
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isaac-obeng-ebu.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by Isaac Obeng Ebu »

I also hate that the female character was not strong enough, this is because I like a good read with a female character that is strong in what she does. Thanks for the review anyway
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
EveS523
Currently Reading: Two by Two
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eves523.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by EveS523 »

Sounds like she has had some crazy experiences for being such a young girl. I'm sure many can relate to the emotions tied into this book. Can't wait to read it!
Cesaria Baquero
Currently Reading: Hell Holes: What Lurks Below
Bookshelf Size: 334
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cesaria-baquero.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Cesaria Baquero »

Sci-fi coupled by romance would make an interesting combination. Great review! The analysis of the story was good and the comments were just honest. I am thrilled to know what these "secrets" of Lucien are. Makes me want to read the book after waking up in the morning.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Post by Reuben 92 »

Thanks for the review. I'm not sure if I would give this a go but I enjoyed reading your description.
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I was initially intrigued by the sci-fi/mystery premise of this book, but I think the simple plotting would feel predictable and flat to me. Maybe this book is better suited for a younger audience. Thanks for the insight about this one!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”