Official Review: The Resilient by Patrick DeRosa

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Official Review: The Resilient by Patrick DeRosa

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Resilient" by Patrick DeRosa.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Resilient is a short story written by Patrick DeRosa. The story starts off with an introduction of John Sully, the main character in this story. John Sully is used to getting all the girls, but when a new bartender named Alexa shows up at his regular bar, he has a hard time talking to her. After learning her work schedule at the bar, he makes sure to go to the bar on those days. After a couple of days, John finally gets the opportunity to take her out. From there, they start seeing each other. One day, a customer was rude to Alexa. John takes offense at the way that the customer, who turns out to be related to the head boss of the Italian mafia, treated Alexa and starts a fight with him and his other friends. John ends up winning the fight but at a cost. Alexa is kidnaped by the Italian mafia and John must do everything in his power to save her. Will John save her or will he die trying?

Written in third person, all of the characters in this short story were flat. John was the main character and he didn't go through any character development. The author didn't go into much detail about Alexa so her character was static. Mike, Storch, and Jimmy, who are John’s friend, helped John fight the Italian mob, but none of them showed any character development. The descriptions of the characters were short and to the point, but it was enough to get a general overview of each character and their part in the story.

The plot has a good pace from scene to scene. It had enough suspense to keep me interested, but the author’s writing style was slow-moving and sparse. His sentences were short and choppy and there was little dialogue between the characters. The author included some humor in his writing which helped keep the story interesting.

There were a few grammatical errors, but they didn't detract from the book. There were a few sexual implications, but none were too graphic. There were a few fight scenes which helped to add to the suspense, but they weren't bloody or violent at all.

I would rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars. The plot was suspenseful, but there was a lack of character development. Also, the amount of grammatical errors prevented me in giving it a higher score. I would recommend this book to those who like a quick read.

The Resilient
View: on Bookshelves

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I love short stories but it is extremely disappointing that there weren't any well crafted characters. I know that developing characters in short stories are challenging and most don't bother. At the very least, if the character doesn't develop throughout the story, then they should be complex and interesting enough that it doesn't matter. Despite the negative, it still seems like a great book.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

Thank you for reading my review!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I dislike characters that are flat. That alone will probably discourage me from reading this book. Thanks for the review. Now I know I won't be adding this one to my list.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

kandscreeley wrote:I dislike characters that are flat. That alone will probably discourage me from reading this book. Thanks for the review. Now I know I won't be adding this one to my list.
Thanks for reading!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”