Official Review: The Face Beneath by Amelia Legend

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Malila of the Scorch by W. Clark Boutwell

Official Review: The Face Beneath by Amelia Legend

Post by micoleon13 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Face Beneath" by Amelia Legend.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Face Beneath is the second book in The Broken Series by Amelia Legend. Classified as Young Adult fiction, it is by no means your typical teenage drama.

The story follows Dannie as she makes the decision to move back closer to home and start college after four years away. Moving back to Sacramento comes with some serious challenges as she must face those she left behind without any explanation all those years ago. One of these people is her old boyfriend Reed. Unexpectedly thrown together again, they both realize their feelings for each other never died, but can they put the past behind them and trust each other again?

To make matters worse, Dannie’s old stalker has resurfaced and is intent on tracking her down and confronting her. Will Dannie be able to cope with her past coming to light and will her friends desert her in her time of need?

This was a spectacularly written book which broached a series of very important topics such as abuse, rape, assault and self-harm. These are all issues which can face both teenagers and adults no matter where you come from. The part which I enjoyed about this book was not only did it touch on these matters, it showed ways of dealing with them through therapy, coping mechanisms, communication with friends, as well as eventual confrontation. There was emphasis on therapy without any sort of stigma and the importance of confronting your issues with someone who has hurt you, no matter how difficult. It was shown very realistically in that when confronting someone they will never say the magical words to fix everything, but the cure is in accepting it for what it is, finding closure and moving forward with your life. These are incredibly important aspects to show in a book to see that there are ways out of terrible situations.

The writing was in first person and the chapters were divided up between the characters. This meant that the reader was able to have an insight into each of the different viewpoints and ways the characters reacted. All the characters were well developed and three dimensional as their flaws were all too realistic. The author also illustrated the contrast that is found in college, with the bright bubbly people, the shallow superficial ones only out for a good time and those that were struggling day to day just to get through.

The secondary characters of Dannie and Reed’s friends provide a sense of history and stability to the story, while also illustrating that in some cases family can be who you chose it to be. The epilogue follows one of Dannie’s friends and introduces her own personal struggle, nicely setting up for the next instalment of the series.

Although this was the second book in the series, it is a stand-alone book in its own right. Even though there are references to what has happened previously this never leaves the reader confused as to what is happening. In fact there is very little to criticize about this book, the only thing I could mention is that I found one very small spelling mistake.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Even though the target audience is for Young Adult, this is definitely a good read for adults as well with topics relevant to all ages. It was an absolute pleasure to read and I would recommend it for any high school or college student as well as any adult looking for a story about starting anew and coming to terms with your past. Congratulations to Amelia Legend for her outstanding debut series.

The Face Beneath
View: on Bookshelves

Like micoleon13's review? Post a comment saying so!

Chrys Brobbey
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 22
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

I like the fact that Amelia Legend writes on matters of concern to society, such as stalking, abuse, rape, assault and self-harm. It is a plus that she shows ways of handling them. I think everyone should read this book. You did the book great benefit with the review. Kudos.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

isay408
Currently Reading: Blue Star
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isay408.html

Post by isay408 »

This book get lot of moral lesson in life and most of it written are happening in real life. Amelia really do a great job in this book. Hoping for some books to read written by you. :techie-studyinggray: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference:

Amagine
2017 Reading Goal: 400
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 719
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I like that this is a YA with so many in depth topics that people of all ages face. It's not just another YA romance story but something much more than that. The book sounds pretty interesting.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald

micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Malila of the Scorch by W. Clark Boutwell

Post by micoleon13 »

Thanks!! I was pleasantly surprised at the depth of topics brought up here

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 364
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Raven Book 1 : Birth Into Darkness by WJR Parks

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! These are definitely topics that need to be addressed especially among young adults. It sounds like the author does a great job of making it appeal to younger audiences. Thanks for the review.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Jaime Lync
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 150
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 12
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 500
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Very insightful review. I think I want to read the series starting from the first book. I think series are best read in order.

christinac_2585
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinac-2585.html
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by christinac_2585 »

The topics that are intertwined in the story are very important in this day, especially the techniques to help. Even though we're are in a tech savvy world when something like abuse or self-harm happens people don't feel like they have someone to talk to. Wonderful review!
"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”