Opinions on Sarah Dessen's works

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Snowflakeswild
Bookshelf Size: 29

Opinions on Sarah Dessen's works

Post by Snowflakeswild »

Throughout my teenage years I adored reading books by Sarah Dessen. I am very curious to see what others think of her works. Also, if anyone has suggestions on anything similar to her work I would be grateful for the suggestions. Thank you! :D
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I've read a few books by Sarah Dessen. Just Speak is by far my favorite. Unfortunately, I think a lot of her books are the same only different, but if it is what your readers want, then that's fine.

You might try Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty--it is the first in a five book series about Jessica "Not-So" Darling. It has a touch of angsty teenage girl but she grows throughout the series.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Gigareads
Favorite Author: Morgan Matson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gigareads.html
Latest Review: The Dream Keepers by Linda Keen
fav_author_id: 4123

Post by Gigareads »

I also enjoy reading Sarah Dessen's books. My favourite is probably Saint Anything. I like the way her books tend to deal with topics a little more grown up than average YA romances. This keeps me more interested as I find them not as predictable as other books in this genre.

A similar author I recommend is Morgan Matson. Some of her books also deal with slightly more grown up topics and enjoyable to read.
serendipity 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by serendipity 27 »

I really liked her work when I was a teen as well. I haven't read her latest books as I've gotten older, but I greatly enjoyed them when I was in high school. They were very relatable and the topics that she hit on were difficult but I think that many teens go through what her characters went through.
Give me the courage to get through this week...or at least a big bar of chocolate :D
Dikay127
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dikay127.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Dikay127 »

I've been an avid fan of Dessen ever since I first found one of her books as a young highschooler. One of my favorite aspects of her writing is that she'll take characters from previous books and put them in her new books by describing a certain tell tale sign they have. It's a fun little surprise for her fans who have read her past works. I think Jenny Han has a few books that bring you back to that young high school first love feeling but none are as good as Sarah Dessen.
UnicornKnight
Favorite Author: Nora Sakavic
Currently Reading: Shadow and Bone (Shadow and Bone Trilogy #1)
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unicornknight.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 58836

Post by UnicornKnight »

I remember being obsessed with her books for a few months. I did get bored eventually because I felt like they all sounded the same after some time. I also distinctly remember them having a sad sort of mood when I read them.
GrandmaPeach
Currently Reading: Then She Was Gone
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by GrandmaPeach »

I found Sarah Dessen books always having a relate able vibe. Going through a lot of traumatic situations as a teenager that should give you a good view on how her book plots go. I still love them to this day though. She is my favorite
VSuraj
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vsuraj.html
Latest Review: Justice by Scott Hughes

Post by VSuraj »

I've only read This Lullaby from her and it was really good. So definitely check out more of her books, and I think a new one was released this year.
Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic - J.K. Rowling
VISHWA129
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vishwa129.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by VISHWA129 »

I've only read Just Listen by Sarah Dessen, but I really enjoyed it! It was the first book I read via audiobook, and even though the audio wasn't the best, I still had a great time and felt it was well worth the read. I have both That Summer and Dreamland on my shelf, and I think I'll get to them soon because of how much I liked the first Sarah Dessen novel I read.
Apryll203
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Apryll203 »

These books were some of my favorites when I was younger. Something about the way Sara Dessen wrote them was great. Never set these books down!
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

i love Sarah Dessen too! if you want to read more contemporary romance with great writing and sweet plot, I suggest Morgan Matson, Kasie West and Emma Mills.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”