Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Young Adult Fiction Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Professor Flintwick's Dream Machine

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.

Official Review: Professor Flintwick's Dream Machine

Post Number:#1 by Amagine
» 18 Apr 2017, 12:20

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Professor Flintwick's Dream Machine" by Dominic R. Daniels.]

Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Review by Amagine
Share This Review

Satsuki Flintwick only wanted to make friends and explore the world. Instead, she works at her grandfather’s shop and she help him with his dream of bringing his creations to life. Her grandfather, Professor Flintwick, frequently uses his favorite creation, the “Dream Machine,” to enter an imaginary world full of dragons and other creatures.

One day, he disappears into the Dream Machine and hadn’t been seen in days. Satsuki starts to worry about him. She becomes even more frightened when a fox spirit tells her she needs to enter the other world to save her grandfather from evil forces. Satsuki must now fight off demons and evil spirits in order to save her grandfather. She always wanted to explore the world, but did she really want this?

Dominic R. Daniel’s Professor Flintwick’s Dream Machine, is a story of adventure and fantasy. The author demonstrates detail in describing both the imaginary world and Tokyo, Japan, where the story takes place. At times, the story was too descriptive as the author describes every sound, scent and action in a scene. There were a lot of unnecessary details where there should have been more plot.

The novel is a little over a hundred pages, so it is relatively short. I would have preferred if the novel was longer. The plot was rushed as it quickly jumped from one scene to the next. The characters aren’t properly fleshed out and they all end up flat. The only thing that I made note of about Satsuki’s character was that she was brave and loyal to her grandfather. There was nothing else that I learned about her because the author didn’t take the time to build on her character. Her grandfather, Professor Flintwick, wasn’t a rounded character either. The only thing that I was able to learn is that he’s passionate about his work. All the other characters in the book aren’t worth mentioning.

I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. There were a few grammatical errors, but that wasn’t my main concern. The plot is rushed and not elaborated on. It’s hard to build a connection with the characters because they don’t have anything that a reader can build from. The author was very descriptive in language, but it was overdone and unnecessary. The story would have benefitted from more scenes and more descriptions of the characters than anything else. Until this book is revised and has more plot added on, I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. Once it has gone through revisions, this book would be perfect for Japanese anime fans or any reader who enjoys a sense of adventure.

Professor Flintwick's Dream Machine
View: on Bookshelves

Like Amagine's review? Post a comment saying so!
There's no such thing as a kid who hates reading. There are kids who love reading, and kids who are reading the wrong books."-James Patterson
Amagine

Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Writing for Children and Teens
Currently Reading: Dancing With Tex
Bookshelf Size: 619 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 38%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Professor Flintwick's Dream Machine

Post Number:#2 by Shreyoshi Sen
» 20 Apr 2017, 01:08

Thanks for the honest review. I was thinking of buying this one but now, I have completely changed my mind.
Shreyoshi Sen

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 180 Books
Goal Completion: 3%

Post Number:#3 by Amagine
» 20 Apr 2017, 05:18

Shreyoshi Sen wrote:Thanks for the honest review. I was thinking of buying this one but now, I have completely changed my mind.

Thanks for reading! :D
There's no such thing as a kid who hates reading. There are kids who love reading, and kids who are reading the wrong books."-James Patterson
Amagine

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#4 by kandscreeley
» 20 Apr 2017, 07:45

This doesn't sound like my type of story even if it was done well. Since it was just really rushed and not fleshed out properly, I definitely won't be picking it up. Thanks for the review though.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "A Light in the Dark" by Kelly Bedford
kandscreeley

Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 68 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 52%

Post Number:#5 by Amagine
» 20 Apr 2017, 08:55

kandscreeley wrote:This doesn't sound like my type of story even if it was done well. Since it was just really rushed and not fleshed out properly, I definitely won't be picking it up. Thanks for the review though.

Thanks for reading! :D
Amagine

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#6 by LivreAmour217
» 20 Apr 2017, 11:26

It's a shame that the book is so poorly written. The concept sounds interesting, but flat, lifeless characters always ruin a story! Great job on this review!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
LivreAmour217's Latest Review: "Things You Can Do" by Daniel Burnette
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month

Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 139 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 55%

Post Number:#7 by Amagine
» 20 Apr 2017, 11:36

LivreAmour217 wrote:It's a shame that the book is so poorly written. The concept sounds interesting, but flat, lifeless characters always ruin a story! Great job on this review!

Thank you for reading! :D
Amagine

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#8 by Meggie Lou
» 29 Apr 2017, 17:09

When I first started to read your review I was excited about the prospect of an awesome and fantastical story. It is unfortunate when a good idea doesn't seem to match up with the follow through. THank you for reviewing this :)
Meggie Lou's Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Meggie Lou

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 52 Books
Goal Completion: 34%

Post Number:#9 by Amagine
» 29 Apr 2017, 20:14

Meggie Lou wrote:When I first started to read your review I was excited about the prospect of an awesome and fantastical story. It is unfortunate when a good idea doesn't seem to match up with the follow through. THank you for reviewing this :)

Thank you so much for reading! :D
Amagine

View Reviewer Page