Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Young Adult Fiction Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Out of Darkness by M A Richards

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.

Official Review: Out of Darkness by M A Richards

Post Number:#1 by katiesquilts
» 10 Apr 2017, 18:30

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Out of Darkness" by M A Richards.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by katiesquilts
Share This Review

Brian Porter used to have friends, a normal body size, and a spot in his family. When he was nine, his family dog bit him and ballooned him up to what could only be called “morbidly obese.” Since his weird allergic reaction to a dog bite, his friends turned into bullies and his family started hiding him from the rest of the world, leaving him out of family photos and making him stay home while they go on vacations. It’s during one such vacation that Brian is dared to go inside an old abandoned house, but he doesn’t come out the same as when he entered.

Out of Darkness is not your typical YA paranormal novel. Richards obviously put a lot of thought into his monsters, giving them entirely new histories and backgrounds. What starts out as a silly, “Oops, I got bitten by a werewolf,” story soon thickens into prophecies and betrayal. The reader is taken on an emotional rollercoaster ride, laughing one minute and empathizing with the characters the next.

The thing I most enjoyed about this novel was the character interaction. Each character was well thought-out and had a purpose in the overall plot of the novel, and it was so interesting to see how they all worked together. Brian especially has a few laugh-out-loud lines directed towards other characters, which makes him easily likeable to both the reader and other characters.

The one thing I do think could use some improvement was the writing style. Admittedly, it is very fitting for a YA novel, but I would have liked a little more description throughout the novel. Actually, I thought the pace of the novel was quite fast, and that the author definitely could have included more of Brian’s everyday lifestyle after getting bitten without boring the reader. I felt like he barely had time to get used to one thing before another new and exciting thing came up.

Since the novel’s pace was so fast and the novel itself is so short, I felt like I was missing part of the overall story. Despite that, I truly enjoyed the novel and am looking forward to the sequel, whenever it may come out. For these reasons, I give Out of Darkness 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to YA readers who would enjoy a twist on their favorite supernatural stories.

Out of Darkness
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like katiesquilts's review? Post a comment saying so!
katiesquilts's Latest Review: "The Little Green Wagon" by M.D. Carter
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month

Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 574 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 64%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Out of Darkness by M A Richards

Post Number:#2 by kandscreeley
» 11 Apr 2017, 15:05

Interesting. Sounds like a pretty good read to me. I love young adult novels. I think I might put this one on my list. I also love how the author gives the monsters some uniqueness. Thanks for the review!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 114 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 95%

Post Number:#3 by Amagine
» 11 Apr 2017, 16:21

This book is perfect for a teen audience because the supernatural genre is HUGE right now in the publishing industry. I also like how it shows him as someone who is bullied and I hope the author addresses the matter for an audience who may understand how Brian feels. The premise of the story seems interesting and I'm sure readers are going to enjoying reading the story.

Great Review! :character-count:
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Amagine's Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
Amagine
Bookshelves Moderator

Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: The Summer I Turned Pretty
Currently Reading: Love and Fat-Free Cheese
Bookshelf Size: 715 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 45%

Post Number:#4 by katiesquilts
» 11 Apr 2017, 18:12

kandscreeley wrote:Interesting. Sounds like a pretty good read to me. I love young adult novels. I think I might put this one on my list. I also love how the author gives the monsters some uniqueness. Thanks for the review!

Awesome! If you ever get around to reading it, please let me know what you think as well! I love to hear other readers' opinions on the same book! :D

-- 11 Apr 2017, 18:13 --

Amagine wrote:This book is perfect for a teen audience because the supernatural genre is HUGE right now in the publishing industry. I also like how it shows him as someone who is bullied and I hope the author addresses the matter for an audience who may understand how Brian feels. The premise of the story seems interesting and I'm sure readers are going to enjoying reading the story.

Great Review! :character-count:

I agree! I was in the perfect mood for a supernatural book, and this hit the spot!
Thank you for your kind words. :D
katiesquilts

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#5 by CarrieMe
» 02 May 2017, 14:01

This sounds like a unique take on a pretty standard type of story. Fun!
CarrieMe

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 355 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 8%

Post Number:#6 by katiesquilts
» 11 May 2017, 04:37

CarrieMe wrote:This sounds like a unique take on a pretty standard type of story. Fun!

Indeed! Is it the kind of book you would give a try to?
katiesquilts

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#7 by MaryGKING
» 13 May 2017, 22:09

The plot is very interesting since it all started with a normal situation where everything is perfect until you got yourself bitten by a dog. Where the interesting part started when people you thought would always be there for you turns out to be the people who will drag you down instead of lifting you up. Comfort and support are the most important factor when you were faced in such situations where you needed the people who really loves you to be there for you.
MaryGKING

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#8 by Jaime Lync
» 15 May 2017, 17:41

You really did a great job selling this book. Thank you for the great review.
Jaime Lync's Latest Review: "Husband" by JoAnne Blackwelder
Jaime Lync

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 12 Books
Goal Completion: 491%

Post Number:#9 by katiesquilts
» 16 May 2017, 07:12

Jaime Lync wrote:You really did a great job selling this book. Thank you for the great review.

Thank you for the kind words! :mrgreen:
katiesquilts

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#10 by christinac_2585
» 20 May 2017, 10:11

I am big on YA or adult paranormal books. This book sounds like one I need to add to my reading list. I think that it is interesting how he had an allergic reaction to a dog bite. I look forward to reading it. Thank you for your review!
"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen
christinac_2585's Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
christinac_2585

Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 63 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
Goal Completion: 48%

Post Number:#11 by DesireeT
» 07 Jun 2017, 20:49

Sounds right up my alley. Thanks for the review.
DesireeT

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

Post Number:#12 by katiesquilts
» 17 Jun 2017, 05:52

christinac_2585 wrote:I am big on YA or adult paranormal books. This book sounds like one I need to add to my reading list. I think that it is interesting how he had an allergic reaction to a dog bite. I look forward to reading it. Thank you for your review!

And thank you for your review of my review! :mrgreen: (Say that 5 times fast!)
If you ever get around to finishing the novel, please let me know what you think of it! Whether it lived up to your expectations or not, etc.
katiesquilts

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#13 by Atabon Della
» 01 Jul 2017, 05:42

Wow. I love this review. Thank you so much for it. The mere mention of the fact that this boy is beaten by a dog already invited me to read the book. Its such a normal situation but leads to greater mysteries to be uncovered and am definitely interested.
Atabon Della's Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Atabon Della

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 0%