Official Review: The Bone Whisperer by D.S. Allen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
peprica21
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peprica21.html
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen

Official Review: The Bone Whisperer by D.S. Allen

Post by peprica21 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Bone Whisperer: The Adventures of George and Flanagan Book II by DS Allen is a young adult novel about the adventures between George and his beloved dog, Flanagan. George, Flanagan and his two best friends, Dougie and Katie, are looking for treasure in their small hometown in Ireland. They discover that Tam McMaster, the wealthiest person in town, is going to destroy the local quarry by building a housing development. George and his friends are on a mission to save the quarry because it is home for many local animals. They hatch a plan to find the hidden treasure of O'Malley and use the prize to rescue the quarry.

Even though this book is the second in a series, the plot line mainly stands on its own. I did not read the first book and that did cause me to miss a part of the story that is brought up in this second book. George and his friends mention several times an incident at Headmaster's Cave, which I concluded happened in book one. I had to piece together the events of this incident while reading, and to a reader that can be confusing and cumbersome. The ending was very vague and left me with unanswered questions. I hope the author plans to write a third book in order to complete the story and tie up loose ends.

The author is originally from Ireland and the reader can pick up quickly on the Irish influences from the writing. As an American, there were a few phrases that I could not picture a middle school aged child saying. One such phrase appeared on page 49 stating, "You've a face on you like a slapped behind". I think this is an interesting way for a child to say someone appears grumpy or angry. I am not suggesting the language needs to be change, I am only pointing out that some readers may find themselves questioning certain sentences and phrases. Overall the writing flowed well and kept me interested in the book.

I think the author captured very well the feeling of a middle school child trying to save a special place in their town. George and his friends want to do right by the animals and plants that call the quarry home and at the same time are very impulsive, as most children are, regarding their decisions on how to accomplish that goal. I found myself interested in finding out more about O'Malley's treasure and map, but felt some scenes in the book could have been removed as it did not offer information to the reader that would help move the story along. This is prevalent particularly in the ending chapter. I did find a few small grammar and writing mistakes, including a few missing words.

I rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars. I chose this rating because of the grammar mistakes and because I think this story could use a little polishing. This book kept my attention for most of the time but, as I stated previously, I did find the ending confusing. I would recommend this book for older middle school readers, targeting 5th to 7th grade, or adults who enjoy a simple chapter book read.

The Bone Whisperer
View: on Bookshelves

Like peprica21's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, this definitely has an interesting plot. If I decided to read this, I would probably go ahead and start with book 1. It's nice, though, that it mostly stands alone. Sounds like with a little bit of editing, this could be a really good book. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Your review was very helpful. I don't like to read sequels before the first book.However, I like that this book can stand alone without it's predecessor so I might be a little interested in reading this.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”