The Court of Thorns and Roses vs Throne of Glass?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Pwall001
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2719

Re: The Court of Thorns and Roses vs Throne of Glass?

Post by Pwall001 »

AnnaKathleen wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 09:20 I really, really love both. A Court of Thorns and Roses is the second series SJM created, but I read it first. I absolutely loved it, and the story moved incredibly fast. Throne of Glass was slower going when I finally read it. However, I have come to love that series a little more. I think ACoTaR is is a faster and more condensed, contained story whereas ToG is a lot bigger, grander, and has more characters.

I would say Roses is more of a romance series with fantasy and adventure, but Glass is an epic fantasy and adventure story with romance. The focus of each story is a little different, in my mind. I felt that appeared more as I went forward with later books.

I loved Feyre right off the bat, she could handle herself immediately and she considered others - in positive and negative manners. In the beginning, Celaena was more child-like, selfish, and immature. I was at odds with that, but through the series her growth has been incredible. It really is like picking between Belle and Cinderella at the start, but they definitely grow past those roles.
I could not agree more! I found that ACOTAR was more of a romance with action and adventure. But she was always focused on saving someone or someone saving her. I was more drawn to this book because of the growth of Feyre over the series and the love story behind her and Rhys. I found this to be the best enemies to lover series with the slow burn. Feyre went from little mouse to a lion and I was here for it. However, there were times when I had to just roll my eyes at how naïve she was sometimes.

Now TOG had so many details. These books focused a lot on building of the world and the evolution of Aelin. I agree though at the beginning she was really child-like and selfish. However, after you read more and get further down you can see how her actions were a defense mechanism for all of the things she had gone through. I will admit I liked her a lot better after I started reading more into it. But I loved the whole queen bitch attitude she gave off.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I've only read TOG so I'm not one to judge. I have been told that ACOTAR is much better. Will have to start it eventually. Just waiting on a few more books to get released so I can binge-read haha!!!
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Reema Aydieh
Currently Reading: Everyone in My Family Has Killed Someone
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reema-aydieh.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Reema Aydieh »

I enjoyed both. Each tells a story of their own, but they both speak about hope and finding good after all the darkness you go through.
Cwilde13
Currently Reading: Watership Down
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwilde13.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cwilde13 »

I loved both series, but if I had to choose a favorite, it would be A Court of Thorns and Roses. The action and relationship between the characters was perfect and it set up the rest of the series while also leaving room for surprises. I wish I could read this series again for the first time.
Hiru1998+
Currently Reading: The Hate U Give
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiru1998.html
Latest Review: Like My Mother Before Me by Naley Gonzalez

Post by Hiru1998+ »

I can't wait to have this book series. Can any of you who read ACOTAR tell me whether they are worth my time?
Evelyn-Papai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evelyn-papai.html
Latest Review: Cat Boss by Tayma Tameem

Post by Evelyn-Papai »

I will be honest, I read both series at the same time and I loved them both. I found Throne of Glass more serious, while ACOTAR had an equally heavy story, the writing still felt lighthearted to me. The characters of ACOTAR grew on me a lot more than the characters from TOG, but I simply can't decide which one I love more. I think that is fine though, since they are my comfort books. :D
Khwahish_05
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Khwahish_05 »

I personally think throne of glass is better because of the plot and the characters. ACOTAR is also really good but the storyline is more about the romance so its upto you which you like more
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

I definitely prefer A Court of Thorns and Roses even though I didn't like it that much. Throne of Glass as a series had many problematic things regarding race, sexuality and torturing of women by bad boy love interests.
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

A Court of Thorns and Roses would definitely be my choice. I did not enjoy Throne of Glass. It felt like they were trying to make the main character seem powerful but went a bit overboard in that.
HanWhite
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanwhite.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by HanWhite »

Loved this comparison of ACOTAR and TOG. Sarah J. Maas is one of my favorite authors of all time! I love both series but I think I have to say Throne of Glass is my favorite. It's impossible not to fall in love with Celaena and her fiery, passionate personality.
Stefania Festa
Currently Reading: A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns and Roses #3)
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stefania-festa.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Stefania Festa »

I am still finishing ACOTAR series, but I am already thinking how should I approach the other series, do any of you have a particular reading order to suggest?
I saw somewhere that it's better to leave Crescent City last... Any suggestions?
Lynn Kbz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lynn Kbz »

I personally thought this book was better than the first I new Rowan and Celeana are endgame from the second he showed up I do prefer Sam though but it's okay :D and I just love the who did this to you trope I literally swooned , and aside from love there is also amazing friendships and the story is heartbreaking and tearful but so damn worth it I didn't want to finish it and definitely have read it 10 times maybe the 11 is needed

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”