The Court of Thorns and Roses vs Throne of Glass?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mannie913
Currently Reading: Sweep Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mannie913.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

The Court of Thorns and Roses vs Throne of Glass?

Post by Mannie913 »

Obviously Sarah J Maas did an outstanding job in both of these books. I like how each followed a completely different story line and the development of characters is different. There were subtle things that made you realize they were the same author but Sarah definitely wasn't stuck on her Throne of Glass story line. According to interview's with Sarah, ToG is based off a retelling of Cinderella, where instead of Cinderella going to meet the Prince she is actually sent to assassinate him. I love that twist! It also is pretty cool that The Court of Thorns and Roses is so clearly a remake of Beauty and The Beast!

Some similarities that I noted between the two were strong female lead characters and evil hierarchy. So in Throne of Glass Celaena was a very strong female assassin who went into a competition to defeat all these other assassins to become the King's Champion. She always trusts herself and pushes herself to do her best. In the Court of Thorns and Roses, Feyre has to save her family from starvation, save herself from being killed by faeries in Prythian, and then save Tamlin from the Amarantha. Both the King and Queen in both of these books are evil.

There were small similarities that as I am writing this I am just now noticing such as in one of Celaena's trials, she cheated by looking over at another competitor to make sure her poisons were lined up correctly. In the second trial for Feyre, Rhysand guides her using her tattoo to make sure she pulls the correct lever. I like how Sarah references the ToG when Rhysand goes down to the dungeon to check in on Feyre and he says "What a sorry state for state of Tamlin's champion." (page 330 paragraph 4). It might not have been on purpose but I like to think it was ;)

The differences I enjoyed were that in Tog, Celaena was only pushing towards her freedom. She wasnt going after a guy or worried about her family, since they were long dead anyways. She was solely focused on herself. Selfish in a way but rightly so. In The Court, Feyre is always concerned about her family. Whether she likes them or not, she always makes sure they have food and clothes. Once they are taken care of an Tamlin goes away, she sets out to find him against all odds. I very much enjoy that Feyre and Tamlin were open in this book about being in love. There was no 'beating around the bush' like there are in many other books. In ToG, a love story is hinted at but one never comes to fruition.

The character development was interesting to see between the two characters as well. Celaena was strong from the very beginning. And by strong, I mean might and killing wise. She was a trained assassin with a brutal heart from all she'd gone through. Little humanity was left there when the book started out. By the end of the book, she found out she didn't have to be so cold. There were other things in the world other than killing and her books. She grew and there was finally hope in her heart when this book concludes. As for Feyre, in the beginning she was also a cold girl. She had come from money when she was younger but her family lost all of it and now lived in poverty. She had no hope for a better world. Thought that idea to be a useless fairytale. By the end of the book, she is overwhelmed with joy as to how her life turned out. There are some regrets from decisions she made through out the book (dont want to spoil anything) but she realizes she was forced to them. I am so excited to see where Sarah takes us next with Feyre!

In conclusion which is your favorite book or character? The Court of Thorns and Roses or Throne of Glass? Celaena Sardothian vs Feyre Archeron?
Kcbjohn
Currently Reading: The Dolls
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Kcbjohn »

I finished this book last night. I did enjoy it but had to give it 3.5 stars. I felt like the ending was a forced trope. I loved the characters and liked the Beauty and the Beadt retelling. I also liked the other fairy tale call backs thrown in at the end. It just didn't hit home for me. I will probably read the next one at some point but it isn't high on my list.
III_Jasmine_III
Bookshelf Size: 87

Post by III_Jasmine_III »

I like ACOTAR more than Throne of Glass tbh.
~ J ~
Mannie913
Currently Reading: Sweep Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mannie913.html
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mannie913 »

Kcbjohn wrote:I finished this book last night. I did enjoy it but had to give it 3.5 stars. I felt like the ending was a forced trope. I loved the characters and liked the Beauty and the Beadt retelling. I also liked the other fairy tale call backs thrown in at the end. It just didn't hit home for me. I will probably read the next one at some point but it isn't high on my list.
I completely get that! Please read A court of mist and fury in telling you its 100% better and it's a can't put down.
Eriina
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Eriina »

I feel like the ACOTAR series has a lot more depth put into it. The character of Rhys is one that stands out to me the most, for there is so much to him than one sees at first glance if you know what I mean :D
spellbindingstories
Currently Reading: Across the Universe (Across the Universe #1)
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by spellbindingstories »

I absolutely loved the Throne of Glass series, but A Court of Thorns and Roses has my heart. Feyre personally seemed more relatable to me, whereas I had to warm up to Celaena. I'm excited to see Sarah J. Maas's next series and meet her next heroine to see how she compares to Feyre and Celaena!
AnnaKathleen
Currently Reading: Kill Them All
Bookshelf Size: 1085
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annakathleen.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by AnnaKathleen »

I really, really love both. A Court of Thorns and Roses is the second series SJM created, but I read it first. I absolutely loved it, and the story moved incredibly fast. Throne of Glass was slower going when I finally read it. However, I have come to love that series a little more. I think ACoTaR is is a faster and more condensed, contained story whereas ToG is a lot bigger, grander, and has more characters.

I would say Roses is more of a romance series with fantasy and adventure, but Glass is an epic fantasy and adventure story with romance. The focus of each story is a little different, in my mind. I felt that appeared more as I went forward with later books.

I loved Feyre right off the bat, she could handle herself immediately and she considered others - in positive and negative manners. In the beginning, Celaena was more child-like, selfish, and immature. I was at odds with that, but through the series her growth has been incredible. It really is like picking between Belle and Cinderella at the start, but they definitely grow past those roles.
"I became darkness, shadow and wind." - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury
Duvina Grace
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Duvina Grace »

I honestly found Throne Of Glass to be a better series, and I found it more action-packed. Also, Celaena *SPOILER* later known as Aelin, is a complete badass and the choices that she makes later on in the book just prove this point.
R Lawrence
Currently Reading: The Poppy War
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-lawrence.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by R Lawrence »

I like Assassins Blade the most out of all her books but I think the ACOTAR series was better. There’s too many characters to keep up with in Throne of Glass.
S Mishra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-mishra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by S Mishra »

I feel like the characters in Throne of Glass show much more development than the ones in ACOTAR. Maybe it is because we got 8 books instead of 4 (counting the novellas) to get to know them, but somehow I have always connected better with the characters if Throne of Glass, though the ones in ACOTAR are also well thought-out.

As for the protagonists, Celaena has to go through a lot more pain and suffering and loss as compared to Feyre and even though both of their characters grow significantly at the end of the series, I have to admit I love Celaena more.

Also, because we get many POVs in Throne Of Glass, we learn a lot more about the other characters, their experiences and their opinion of the protagonist and others which helps in showcasing Aelin in a grander light, making her seem powerful, clever and always a few steps ahead of everyone else.
In ACOTAR, we only get Feyre's view and since she doesn't think much of herself, we mostly get to know about her better qualities through what other characters tell her about herself.
S Mishra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-mishra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by S Mishra »

AnnaKathleen wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 09:20 I really, really love both. A Court of Thorns and Roses is the second series SJM created, but I read it first. I absolutely loved it, and the story moved incredibly fast. Throne of Glass was slower going when I finally read it. However, I have come to love that series a little more. I think ACoTaR is is a faster and more condensed, contained story whereas ToG is a lot bigger, grander, and has more characters.

I would say Roses is more of a romance series with fantasy and adventure, but Glass is an epic fantasy and adventure story with romance. The focus of each story is a little different, in my mind. I felt that appeared more as I went forward with later books.

I loved Feyre right off the bat, she could handle herself immediately and she considered others - in positive and negative manners. In the beginning, Celaena was more child-like, selfish, and immature. I was at odds with that, but through the series her growth has been incredible. It really is like picking between Belle and Cinderella at the start, but they definitely grow past those roles.

I completely agree with your view! From what I know, Sarah J Mass had been working on Throne of Glass for a long time and it had been her dream project of sorts, so she put in a lot more effort where the plot is concerned. Thus, there are many more plot twists and foreshadowing as compared to ACOTAR.

Also, yes, the main theme of Throne of Glass seems to be adventure while that of ACOTAR seems to be romance.
isha0108
Currently Reading: The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isha0108.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by isha0108 »

I read ACOTAR first too it was actually one of the first YA books I read. ACOTAR is great but TOG just has better and more relatable characters for me. ( It had MANON FORKING BLACKBEAK for God's sake). Also personally I prefer adventure and action over romance so I can't help but choose TOG over ACOTAR and Aelin over Feyre. I mean I know I shouldn't compare those two but I think Aelin is a much better protagonist. They both go through tragedies but Aelin doesn't completely break the fork down for an entire book like Feyre does in book 2. Like I get that she literally DIED and came back but it was kinda annoying. ( Does the forum allow you to curse btw? )
starkpages
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starkpages.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by starkpages »

I really love both! I am such a fan of SJM's books. I first read ACOTAR series then tried to read ToG. I really can't pick from two because both have an asset that I so love. I am such a FeyRhys trash and I loved how their love story evolved from enemies to friends to lovers. The plot however is weak for me. On the other hand, ToG's plot is so complex and so beautifully done since it is a longer series than ACOTAR. I love every character and every ship SJM made. I still haven't read the last book though. So excited to see how it would end.
iced_sunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iced-sunshine.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by iced_sunshine »

I liked Throne of Glass when I was younger but not so much now. I guess growing up has given me a chance to see just how many tropes it has. As for ACOTAR, I didn't particularly enjoy it though I appreciated the fact that it was a Beauty and the Beast retelling. The ending could have been done better.
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

I definitely preferred Throne of Glass over A court of Thorns and Roses, because I found Celaena to be a more enjoyable character to read. The plot in Throne of glass also seems a bit more intricate and suspenseful, while I found A Court of Thorns and Roses to be predictable - especially towards the end of the series.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”