Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MerryLove
Currently Reading: A Court of Wings and Ruin
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merrylove.html
Latest Review: "Coppers Journey" by Julius Green
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo

Post by MerryLove »

published: September 27, 2016 by Henry Holt & Co

pages: 536

genre: YA fantasy

series: Book 2 of 2 in the Six of Crows duology

While this book was definitely different than the first, I loved it just as much. Somehow it managed to be just as amazing.

Brief Summary from Goodreads:

“Kaz Brekker and his crew have just pulled off a heist so daring even they didn't think they'd survive. But instead of divvying up a fat reward, they're right back to fighting for their lives. Double-crossed and left crippled by the kidnapping of a valuable team member, the crew is low on resources, allies, and hope. As powerful forces from around the world descend on Ketterdam to root out the secrets of the dangerous drug known as jurda parem, old rivals and new enemies emerge to challenge Kaz's cunning and test the team's fragile loyalties. A war will be waged on the city's dark and twisting streets―a battle for revenge and redemption that will decide the fate of magic in the Grisha world.”

The book is a great continuation into the awesomeness that started in book 1. There were plenty of plots started in Six of Crows that are continued in this book. There is more back story for both Wylan and Jesper, whose story was more absent than others in the last book. There are also new plots to keep the ball rolling. Van Eck and Pekka Rollins take on much larger roles in the plot, and there are these mechanical angel creatures that are near invincible and kidnapping Grisha.

I was impressed by how enthralling the story managed to be. I knew the first book would be a tough act to follow, but the author managed to provide more depth to the characters, continue with all the sub plots from the previous book, and still cast doubt about the character's success to come in the predicaments they end up in. Even after their invincible feat in the last book, there were still plenty of instances where it seemed like they couldn't accomplish or win at everything.

Because there are multiple character stories going on, there are multiple endings. Often with multiple endings, they can't all be good. Well, in Crooked Kingdom they were ALL good. I was so emotional by the end of the book for two endings in particular. They were glorious. It makes me want to start the series again. It also has me super hyped for any further series in this universe. I'd love to read about Nina's further adventures, for example, with cameos from other characters in this book.

Rating

Overall, this book earns a 4 out of 4. It managed to be both great and different than the first, and the endings easily made the rating a no brainer. I would highly recommend it to those who enjoyed Six of Crows.
Mannie913
Currently Reading: Sweep Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mannie913.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mannie913 »

I'm so glad you wrote a review about this! I am wanting to start this series as soon as I finish the other couple that I am. It sounds great and right up my ally. Thank you!
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
MerryLove
Currently Reading: A Court of Wings and Ruin
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merrylove.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MerryLove »

Glad it was helpful. I LOVED this duology. It is easily in my top 5 favorites right now.
TGreg02
Currently Reading: A Horse Called Hero
Bookshelf Size: 67

Post by TGreg02 »

Thanks for the review. I have added the two books to my bookshelf to remind me about them. Both sound worth reading.
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

I didn't think that Crooked Kingdom would be as good as Six of Crows, but I was wrong! It was just as good, if not better and it gave the perfect ending!
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

This book was incredible! I didn't believe that Bardugo would be able to deliver something which met Six of Crow's standard but she did it! I loved that she knew exactly when to stop the series, and how to deliver satisfying endings!
erinrb13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erinrb13.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by erinrb13 »

I'm glad you enjoyed this series! If you haven't already, I'd recommend reading the Grisha trilogy. It is set in this same world, but follows a different set of characters
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

Thanks for the review! You summed up my feelings for this amazing book very well. So glad you enjoyed it!
~Roxie~
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

I read the first book but never got around to the second. The first one is definitely one of my favorites. I'll have to check this one out now and finish this wonderful series!
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

I have read Six of crows so far. Crooked Kingdom is still on my TBR. To be honest I don't know if its worth the hype or not.
Carolyn1854
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolyn1854.html
Latest Review: Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

Post by Carolyn1854 »

This is a really good review.
Usually second book of a duology end up being disappointed. But this was not. I think Leigh Bardugo did a really fantastic job. Six of crows duology is one of my favourite books and Leigh Bardugo is one of my favourite fantasy authors.
QueenBey3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by QueenBey3 »

I personally had SO much fun with this book. It kept me guessing the whole time with many “OMG😱” moments. I loved the writing and the characters so much. This story was executed so well as a duology.
VISHWA129
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vishwa129.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by VISHWA129 »

Oh gosh I love this series so much. In my opinion, this duology is Leigh Bardugo's best series (though I haven't read her Wonderwoman novel; has anyone read that and if so is it good?). I love the fact that the story is centered around anitheroes, which are definitely my favorite characters to read about, and she delivered with the development of each character so well. On top of that, the actual plot of the novel is so thrilling (I mean a heist, and a well executed one at that, who could resist?) and unpredictable, with the characters thrown into the worst possible situations and the way Leigh used these situations to build on the characters themselves.

Also, has everyone heard of the new Netflix show that's supposed to come out soon? I want to be so excited about it, because I know that Leigh has been somewhat involved and the casting seems spot on, but they're going to intertwine the Grisha trilogy with this duology and I'm so scared about it. The actual story of Six of Crows is so fantastic I don't want them to change it at all.

Side note: I love Kanej so much it hurts.
monserrat_21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monserrat-21.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by monserrat_21 »

I finished reading this book a month ago and I'm still not over it. Though I personally prefer Six of Crows, this sequel definitely lived up to the first book. I was also very happy to see more of Wylan and Jesper! Great review. I'm really looking forward to the Netflix show and seeing this amazing story come to life in my TV.
azidy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azidy.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by azidy »

I was kind of on the fence about the first book, but decided to read Crooked Kingdom since there's only two books. I'm so glad I did! I liked it so much better than the first one, everything from the plot to how the characters' progressed so much in such a short time.

Thank you for a really nice review and I agree with you about how great the different endings were!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”