Review: Seraphina by Rachel Hartman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Review: Seraphina by Rachel Hartman

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

Seraphina is half dragon and half human but her dragon side is kept hidden from everyone except her father and uncle. Against her fathers wishes she becomes the musical assistant to the court music director and tries to blend in and make herself scarce. She unwillingly gets caught up in an investigation of the death of one of the princes and becomes even more entrenched in the tension between dragons and humans. As a half dragon and half human she must learn to embrace both sides of her heritage and find a way to keep the peace between dragons and humans.

The book is written in first person past tense. The plot of the novel was well written with surprising plot twists but some obvious endings. I found the main character to be rather dull at first but grew to like her at the end. The secondary characters were well developed but could have a little more depth to each of the characters personality to make them more realistic.

The story starts off rather dull and it took an effort to get past the first few chapters due to the introductions of the various characters as well as background info. But it got more interesting near the middle and end of the book. Overall it was a good read and I would give it a 3 out of 4 stars due to the slow beginning.
Ogunicorn20
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ogunicorn20 »

I feel like the beginning just setup for the plot of the story perfectly

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”