Lessons from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire- SPOILERS

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lissy_1992
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lissy-1992.html

Lessons from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire- SPOILERS

Post by Lissy_1992 »

Having read all of the books in the Harry Potter series, I know and love them well. As the series goes on, I feel that they progress in content into some pretty dark scenes. In comparison, the earlier books of the series feel sweet and almost juvenile in their themes and adventures.

The Goblet of Fire was when I really realised that there was no going back. The loss of innocence from Cedric Diggory's death marked that book in my mind. No-one was safe just because they belonged to Hogwarts. Evil could, and would, get in. It was just a matter of time, preparation and courage.

This book is also one of the main books in the series that stands out for me for a different reason: the many messages we can relate to, learn from and apply into our own, real world. Granted, J.K Rowling is phenomenal at incorporating this throughout all her books, but I feel that the Goblet of Fire shows great examples at a key turning point in the overall journey of the series. These messages are clear to a reader should they step back for a moment and contemplate, without just getting carried along in the drama of it all. Here a just a few of those.

1. People are not always as they appear. This one seems blatantly obvious, yet it is well worth noting. Harry was told that Mad-Eye Moody was a trusted Auror, and so he was, but the man he thought to be Moody turned out to be the evil Barty Crouch Jnr. Lesson: do not always assume you know someone.

2. Not everyone is grateful for being saved. In the book, Hermione is furiously fighting for the rights and freedom of house elves. This takes time, devotion and dedication. However, when she succeeds and provides freedom for Mr Crouch's house elf Winky, she responds with hostility and a distinct lack of gratitude.

3. Everybody has an important role, no matter who you are. In the book, Dobby the house elf overhears a conversation about Gillyweed and its benefits so provides Harry with some in preparation for the Triwizard Tournament underwater task. Ok, it turns out that this was a purposefully staged conversation by Barty Crouch Jnr to ensure Harry wins, but this doesn't deny Dobby's role in Harry's success. A meek, mere house elf can do great things with the right intentions.

4. Helping others is always right, but doesn't always guarantee a happy ending. As Cedric and Harry both reached the cup at the same time, marking them both heroes of the Triwizard Tournament, they both agreed to touch the cup together, signifying joint winners. Unfortunately, this also meant that when the cup became the portkey to the graveyard that Barty Crouch Jnr had organised, Cedric was taken along too, ended up 'a spare' and was instantly murdered by Voldemort. Sadly, if Harry hadn't agreed to share first place, Cedric would probably still be alive. This was when I feel J.K.Rowling delivered the sobering message that courage and integrity doesn't always win, but you must persevere anyway.

As I said, this marks but a few of the many messages embedded within, but that is for you other readers to explore...
Bhavna Aburani
Currently Reading: Dexter By Design
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhavna-aburani.html

Post by Bhavna Aburani »

This is so true. Although in the genre of Young Adult, I think Harry Potter series is relevant for every age. It teaches you valuable lessons. It teaches you the meaning of friendship and love. It teaches you that we don't have to be in position of power or extremely rich to bring about a change. Anyone and everyone has the ability to do that. Goblet of Fire specially taught us the meaning of courage. We are not responsible for what happens to us, but we surely are responsible for how we respond. Harry was neither eligible nor prepared for the tasks of Triwizard tournament, but he showed that with faith, wits and courage, there is no problem that you cannot surmount (Obviously he had hermione to help him through, but he was bold enough to do everything that was required of him). I believe everyone should read this series at least once in their lifetime just to see what they have been missing till now ;)
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

These are some great lessons. The one that I agree with the most is the one that says that everyone has a role, no matter how small. It kind of sound like a Dr. Seuss quote.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

That was a very thorough analysis of the story. The Goblet of Fire was when things really became less about going to class and more about surviving.Not to give any spoilers but things got real quick real fast towards the end. The competition gave the series a real feeling of life or death which is why it is my favourite book in the series.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

You have mentioned the lessons really well. This book has taught us a lot. I love this book. Another great book by J.K Rowling.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

Totally agree that HP gives a lot of lessons, esp the transitional fourth book. It's my favorite in the series partly for that reason. It shows so much more and really sets the stage for the second, darker, more mature half of HP.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
yodit
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by yodit »

The things you just described are why the Goblet of Fire is my favorite book- it truly does mark a transition between the first 3 books (where everything might not be pretty, but it ends up working out well in the end) to the last 4 books (where not everything works out the way it should).
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia »

You have some good thoughts . There are some good lessons to be learned the these books.
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar

Post by Vscholz »

What Hermione does is actually something of a form of oppression for the house-elves. I know she means well and I am not against her or her plight for elf liberation, but I first realized this when I was studying Paul Freire. It's rather fascinating, really, even if it is a bit controversial to state that one of the Golden Trio is oppressing those she wishes to free from oppression.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
r_bhavika
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Favorite Book: Slammed
Currently Reading: The Sun is Also a Star
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-bhavika.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by r_bhavika »

Harry Potter is a series we all love. There are lessons and morals that J.K Rowling taught us through the HP series. Love, loyalty, friendship, bravery, and sacrifice.
This quote really hits hard. "It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be." Voldemort and Harry both were given the same destiny, but Harry got the light in him that Voldemort didn't. Its how we choose to act. We all have darkness, so did Harry and Voldemort. Cedric Diggory a brave wizard chose to be with Harry even it was The Dark Lord he was fighting. Harry Potter is a brilliant series.
"The world was hers for the reading.” – Betty Smith :techie-studyinggray:
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

Unfortunately, this book in the series is always one I struggled to get through. I’m glad I got to read other peoples perspective, as it gives me the courage to maybe try again. I love the meaning you have gathered from the novel and I completely agree.
Jill Pollini
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jill Pollini »

I agree that Goblet of Fire had some powerful messages in the book, I feel that Prisoner of Azkaban is more of a turning point concerning the themes in the series. In my opinion, the concept of Dementors is a representation of Depression and the main lesson in the book is that you need to fight for yourself (Harry casting his Patronus). However, I think that because the Goblet of Fire is longer, and includes a larger number of dark themes that the Prisoner of Azkaban was a nice set up to ease into the darker portion of the book series.
clancy8
Currently Reading: Toward Happier Choices
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clancy8.html
Latest Review: A Loaf Of Bread by Rana Bitar

Post by clancy8 »

I totally agree with the third point
" Everybody has an important role, no matter who you are." Harry Potter book it's surely a book to read in a lifetime, taught me alot. especially the Goblet of fire.
PepperedPenelope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pepperedpenelope.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by PepperedPenelope »

Vscholz wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 21:02 What Hermione does is actually something of a form of oppression for the house-elves. I know she means well and I am not against her or her plight for elf liberation, but I first realized this when I was studying Paul Freire. It's rather fascinating, really, even if it is a bit controversial to state that one of the Golden Trio is oppressing those she wishes to free from oppression.
Thats actually really fascinating! I never looked at it like that, but thats what I really love about these books. There is always something new to find, and something new to learn!
CatlynnHighlights
Currently Reading: Infinite Jest
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catlynnhighlights.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by CatlynnHighlights »

This is part of why I love Harry Potter books so much. Despite them often being called children's books (I appreciated that this was considered for young adults), Harry Potter books have lessons for all ages. The Goblet of Fire is my favorite Harry Potter book because they're really focusing on something other than school.
Comment on my review and I'll comment on yours. I'm always looking for new books to read!

"..one may smile, and smile, and be a villain." - Shakespeare

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”