Official Review: The Dream Keepers by Linda Keen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cutienerdy21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cutienerdy21.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor

Re: Official Review: The Dream Keepers by Linda Keen

Post by Cutienerdy21 »

Thanks for the great review!! It sounds like a book I can immerse and lost myself into. A story with great characters is something worth reading anytime! You did great highlighting the good points in this book that I can’t wait to get started on it right this minute!!
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: The Witching Hour
Bookshelf Size: 3837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

Elements of the synopsis, and even your review, made the film "Little Miss Sunshine" come to mind. This sounds like a wonderful coming of age story. Thanks so much for your insightful review!
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Post by CaitlynLynch »

This sounds both charming and inspirational, though I wish you could have told us a little more about Star's dreams!
Waragu Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 469
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waragu-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Waragu Samuel »

The characters are very well developed, we see them grow and change from innocent children into adults who have to face the harsh realities of the world.
The spirit of resilience as one can infer in this book is a great one. It is worth reading this novel. Thanks for this review.
“If things start happening, don't worry, don't stew, just go right along and you'll start happening too.”~Dr. Theodor Seuss Geisel (1904-1991)
YUSUFATILA
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by YUSUFATILA »

Even the expression on this simple review shows how emotional, unique and how lively the book is when reading.One would just log to get it.Good review indeed!
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

Dreams are what make our outlook on life optimistic, full of anticipation. The characters in this story did go on with life despite being encumbered at the very start of losing their parents and had to endure living with grandparents. When they seemed to be in dearth of all other things, dreams they never lacked to keep. Thanks for this well-written review.
king_abdul
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by king_abdul »

Was a worth reading story enjoyed it a lot the characters were also great it would be a great pleasure for me that I can watch it as a virtual story so that I can enjoy it more than reading it.
Fibonacci
Currently Reading: The Sex Tourist
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fibonacci.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Fibonacci »

Sounds like a really nice book, for everyone to dig into... Family and friendship is everything... Nicely written review.
lolapau
Currently Reading: Veterans Day
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by lolapau »

Wow! You're review is amazing. It is so captivating that makes me want to read this book. I believe that this is really a nice book to read base on what you've written out there. :D
docfatima
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19764">The Duke's Holiday</a>
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-docfatima.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by docfatima »

Unique storyline... To read about the dreams of a child and share their lives as they are growing is going to be delightful.
even miracles take a little time. :angelic-blueglow:
violet-trey19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37

Post by violet-trey19 »

:techie-reference: Good review.Story is interesting.The story of 'The dream keepers'is about family and friendship.Star and Thatcher are two characters which are siblings.They are orphaned and faces lots of difficulties in life.Good book for reading. :D
Kenneth Epet

Post by Kenneth Epet »

thank you so much. I have enjoyed this story around the lives of two siblings, Star and Thatcher. Orphaned at a young age, these two children live the earlier part of their lives in relative bliss and happiness with their one set of grandparents. However, when these grandparents are unable to take care of the two siblings due to health issues, they are sent to stay with their other grandparents, and it is here that they begin another stage in their lives. So interesting indeed. I love it
R-g-R
Currently Reading: The Picketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-g-r.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by R-g-R »

R-g-R wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 23:23 I have only just started The Dream Keepers and already agree with this review! The writing is indeed immersive and unique - I cannot think of a better, more accurate, description. The emotional nature of the children’s journey becomes apparent early in the book and I very much look forward to continuing.
After finishing The Dream Keepers late last night (Sydney-time) I must amend and update my comment.
While agreeing with all the factual information about the book and enjoying the start, I can no longer agree with the score and the reviewer’s overall opinion.

The premise of the book is good, that of siblings Thatcher and Star experiencing displacement on a grand scale and longing to belong, hence searching in myriad ways and places for a place to truly call home. Their journey is interesting and often unexpected and contains lessons for readers.
However the writing is often disjointed and contrived, with many ‘lessons’ presented too strongly and deliberately, with the author explaining every feeling and every action and leaving little for readers to discover or learn for themselves.

Disjointed change of ‘voice’/change of writing style moments are too many and too obvious. It feels as if the author had many good, different, short pieces of writing that they were determined to use and meld together, but these needed to be restricted to only including those which furthered the story and characters. I was surprised that editors had not already made such corrections.

I used the word ‘myriad’ above as something of a nod to the author’s use and overuse of such words. The first and maybe second times are acceptable, but repetitions of favourite words, often unnecessarily, distract more than enhance the storytelling. For example, there are many words that could and should have been used instead of the repeated ‘gargantuan’: huge, enormous, gigantic, massive to list a few.

Perhaps the author is well-versed with real people similar to those Star and Thatcher meet on their journey and some are certainly credible. However when some characters speak as if they were in the 70’s and one of our protagonists suddenly joins in without any sense of irony, humour or other good reason, it is jarring and creates an impression that there has been less research and more make-believe used. This is only one small example of a regular occurrence within the story. Characters suddenly change their speech or way of speaking significantly, and this becomes unbelievable.

The final issue of significance is the attempt to make the story more than it is by the inclusion of real-life events. Some of these are done well, providing a time frame and world view, but others are clumsy and unwieldy and become part of the ‘lesson’ category which needed greater subtlety.

An ambitious work by Linda Keen, I would give The Dream Keepers 2 out of 4, as I still wanted to read to the end and I’m sure there will be those who will enjoy the book. The readership will be limited as the writing often seems too adult for young adults but also spends a lot of time with the journey of young children so some young adults may think it is for a younger audience.
Lit2018
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lit2018.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Lit2018 »

At first I told myself that this was not the book for me.I just didn't find it interesting.I just didn't like the way the author put too much details on the siblings life,even the church service they'd participated.I thought it was irrelevant.But ,as I went on reading,I slowly fell in love with the two main characters,Thatcher and Star.I admired their courage and their will to survive despite all the difficulties they'd experienced on their journey back to the place and people they love.I admired how the siblings help and support each other during those times.
This story partly describes the realities of life.
theworkerbee

Post by theworkerbee »

I'm very interested in reading an emotional book. I can't wait to review this one.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”