Official Review: Robyn Hood Outlaw Princess

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Robyn Hood Outlaw Princess

Post by e-tasana-williams »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Robyn Hood Outlaw Princess" by John Reynolds.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you a fan of swashbuckling adventures? Do you get lost in medieval tales of sword fighting, horseback riding and good versus evil? Do you secretly wish a scabbard was a part of your everyday attire? Then you are going to like Robyn Hood Outlaw Princess by John Reynolds. It adds a feminine twist to Howard Pyle's 1883 classic Robin Hood of Great Renown in Nottinghamshire.

The protagonist Robyn Howard is a senior at Eastlake College, and she has family roots in Nottingham. She is a good student and her school's soccer team captain, but she can't help but notice that she gets treated differently than her male counterparts do. Mr. Smallfield, the school principal, seems to have her in his crosshairs. He constantly chastises Robyn for behaviors that she is sure would go unpunished were she a boy instead of a girl. While Robyn ruminates over gender inequality one afternoon, she is whisked away from Eastlake College to Sherwood Forest. No longer is she Robyn Howard. She has become Robyn of the Hood.

Robyn Hood Outlaw Princess is an entertaining work of YA fantasy fiction. It is a great story idea. Most other twists on the Robin Hood adventure novel have male characters in the lead, or female characters disguised as males. Mr. Reynolds adds to the mix by having a consistently female protagonist who is supported by a band of merry women instead of men. I like that Mr. Reynolds includes elements that provoke the reader to question how males and females are treated differently in society, even when they do the same things. This is an appropriate angle for a young adult novel, as many members of the target audience may be mulling over the same issues.

Robyn's adventure in Sherwood Forest is reminiscent of Frank L. Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, in that people from her school life make appearances in her outlaw experience. Without including spoilers, both Mr. Smallfield and Robyn's friend William have roles in Nottinghamshire. You will have to read the book to find out how they come into play!

Although this is young adult fiction, I recommend it for readers of all ages. People who like reading about magic and medieval times will especially like this book. I rate Robyn Hood Outlaw Princess 4 out of 4 stars. It is an entertaining read, well written, appropriate for its target audience, and it appears to be professionally edited. One thing I would change about this novel is the length. It seems cut short. I would have liked to read more of Robyn's adventures as an outlaw. That being said, this book would be the perfect opening for a series of books with Robyn in the lead.

Robyn Hood Outlaw Princess
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like e-tasana-williams's review? Post a comment saying so!
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

This book sounds awesome! I love that the twist on the Robin Hood story involves a female lead. Great review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by e-tasana-williams »

Thank you. I enjoyed reading this story. I hope you like it if you get the chance to read it.
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

Interesting sounding book! I wouldn't mind tapping into a book that focuses on gender inequality, and given Robyn's background, she sounds like she could be pretty dynamic. Thanks for the review, I'll definitely check it out. :tiphat:
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Amore
Currently Reading: Beautiful Creatures
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amore.html

Post by Amore »

Not sure how I feel about the medieval tale of Robin Hood being transformed into a modern day college story. I like that the protagonist is female, but the change in era might just be a little too drastic for me.
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

Sounds like a good book! I always enjoy reading retellings of the old fairy tales, I'll have to add this one to my to read list.
Olivia750
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Olivia750 »

cool series for reading.
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

Great review! The book sounds fantastic! I might read it with my daughter. I think we would both enjoy it.
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Another positive review, how nice! It does sound original, though a bit short for my taste. I am glad that you enjoyed the book that much. Good job on the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

Great review! I love medieval tales. This one has a unique spin on it. A female protagonist during that time period is different. I definitely want to read this one!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Woah, this book sounds like it's an exciting read! Also I loved your intro. You really know how to sell a story! I think it is very unique that the story portrays Robyn as an ordinary girl who becomes a heroic outlaw. I love when stories put women in strong roles. It lets women know that we're not weak and fragile! I will definitely give this a read.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

This looks very interesting congratulations on the great review and thanks for posting this!
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

A female version of Robin Hood sounds awesome! Thanks for this!
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your review. What an interesting comment to compare the book to The Wizard of Oz, regarding people in the main character's life being including in the outlaw storyline. Very insightful! The book doesn't seem to be my cup of tea, but it looks good for readers who like medieval themes.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Abinalice
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abinalice.html

Post by Abinalice »

gender inequality as brought out in this novel, Shows how communities influence in boy child leaving alone girl child to suffer negligence of the other party. Robyn as the character to bring out gender inequality, is a school captain but still male students, look down upon her though she can play better than some.

The community in the novel has failed in the role of making all students rather say both genders in equality. It's sad that some mistakes are unpunishable to male gender but punished when female gender commit. It's sad that the principal advocate to it.

Robyn hood is a nice story to read and tell. I would recommend it to all. I rate it 4 out of 4.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”