Gregor the Overlander Series by Suzanne Collins

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Re: Gregor the Overlander Series by Suzanne Collins

Post by DakotaA »

I absolutely LOVED the Gregor the Overlander series when I was younger! Last summer I found a copy of one in my parent's basement and took it with to the pool to re-read. Still great writing, but you could definitely tell that it was written for a younger audience than The Hunger Games! (More for young teens/pre-teens whereas Hunger Games is older teens/young adult)
Babyshamu98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-babyshamu98.html
Latest Review: Blood Red Moon by Lee Roberts

Post by Babyshamu98 »

I read the Overlander series when The Hunger Games was still very popular, I found it amazing. It was amazing for me that Susan Collins managed to write two completely different series so close to each other.
I loved how she incorporated a prophecy without having the entire series go crazy over it. I loved how she had both the hardcore believers and the complete sceptics. The fact that each book built up to a grand final was very well done. I would definitely recommend this book.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

I have enjoyed the Hunger Games series by Suzzane Collins like no other. Hope to fine the same fun from this one. Going to try it soon
Bri C
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bri-c.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov

Post by Bri C »

I finally donated my Gregor books just a week or two ago. I absolutely loved them when I was younger, and I still think they are an example of amazing writing -- probably better than The Hunger Games, honestly --, but I wanted a younger child with more time to read to enjoy them.

The characters were the highlight. They were remarkably believable, particularly given the absurdity of the premise. It's a good reminder that suspension of disbelief is incredibly powerful if the author is confident enough.
ashleymarie310
Currently Reading: To All the Boys I've Loved Before
Bookshelf Size: 519

Post by ashleymarie310 »

I remember being so surprised when I found out Suzanne Collins wrote this series as well. I read these books when I was pretty young and hopped on the Hunger Games train a little late when I was in high school. Suzanne Collins really distinguishes these as different books through her differentiated writing style. I find that sometimes, authors that write multiple series blend themes and plots, but she definitely didn't do that and really gave the characters the chance to learn, grow, lose, and love in their respective worlds.
Rania anoop
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rania anoop »

This is by far the most interesting book I have read. I almost binge read this series and gotta say never seen such a pretty interesting plot line. Having read the Hunger Games, this book does give of the charisma of mystery around the book and I love the main as well as side characters
~😊
Sav Sparkman
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by Sav Sparkman »

I had vaguely heard about this series, but no one seemed to recommend reading them. After reading the comments in this forum, I’m going to have to add them to my must read list! I enjoyed Hunger Games and the newer release of The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, so I imagine I will like reading other books Suzanne Collins has written as well.
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” —Helen Keller
Jennifer Yöda Bishop
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Hans Majestäts Drake
Bookshelf Size: 903
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-y-da-bishop.html
Latest Review: AfterLife by E. Vince
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 4%

Post by Jennifer Yöda Bishop »

This has actually been one of my favorite series since I was 11 (now 31). I had been constantly searching for more books by her, only to find out I'd been searching in the wrong place when the Hunger Games movie first came out.

I just so happened to pick up the Hunger Games to see what the hype was about and realized it was the same author and freaked out! Loa.

Needless to say, this series is amazing and I highly recommend it!
But Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” - ‭‭Matthew‬ ‭19:26‬ ‭ESV‬‬
Latest Review: AfterLife by E. Vince

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”