Official Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Official Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Other than the errors, this sounds like my kind of book. Thanks for the awesome review. :D
SangeethaNarayan
Currently Reading: The Prophet
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sangeethanarayan.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by SangeethaNarayan »

I'm reading a lot nowadays from the young adult genre. This js definitely a want to read book for me now. Its an art to write a review without giving in too many details. I'm still learning how much to state and how much to not say. You seem to have mastered this art. Good job!!
Denis fortunatha
Currently Reading: Too Many Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Denis fortunatha »

Thanks for the great review, Too bad for the errors but still want to read it, I added thi in my wanted to read list
Dragonfly6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonfly6.html
Latest Review: Why can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Dragonfly6 »

I came across this title as a Book of the Month and wanted to learn what it was about. I'm happy to have come across your review! Your description of the depth of character development, regardless of the age of the characters, is of such importance in a story that it is worth a read. It also sounds as though the first person storytelling is to the book's advantage. I am putting it on my bookshelf! Thank you for your informative review!
"A room without books is like a body without a soul." ~ Cicero
Susan Duininck Kenning
Currently Reading: E M P Honeymoon
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susanlee23.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Susan Duininck Kenning »

Great review! It sounds like a fun read! I think I will give this one a try!
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1652
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Crossroads by Andrew Slac
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

You definitely got my interest with your review. I am definitely going to read this book despite the errors. I love books that show the character's perspectives internally since it gives me the idea of why actions are done.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
eve777
Favorite Book: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (Korean Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eve777.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by eve777 »

Excellent review. Am looking forward to reading it as well
Chelsearoses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsearoses.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Chelsearoses »

Reading it now, just started and Carly just came into the picture. My first thoughts on him were, "There's something wrong with this kid", but excited to see how he grows and changes.
godly02
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godly02.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by godly02 »

I was a little cautious about reading this book. But I must say that your review and the way you described the chats to now has me changing my mind. Your review has sparked my curiosity and I feel like I now have to read this book. Thank you for the review.
Spiike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Spiike »

I loved this book. I'm not a reader, but I downloaded and listened to it in audible while delivering newspapers and found myself enjoying it. My imagination loved it. I even found myself listening to it while washing dishes and driving. It had me hooked. I enjoyed the part where they entered the training room and expressed their powers to each other. I could visualize it In my head. As if i was watching a movie. The author did an amazing job. I want to listen to book 2, but I can't find it on audible and I don't know if I can afford to purchase it for kindle do that I could use the read out loud feature. I hope one day I can find it and listen to it. As I don't have the ability to sit and read it.
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

Thanks for the review TrishaAnn92, I also joyed reading the story from beginning up to the end. I concluded that, there is something superficial about Adam and the turmoil is thanks to his bodily changes.
Chelsearoses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsearoses.html

Post by Chelsearoses »

TrishaAnn92 wrote: 11 Nov 2016, 15:24 [Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Book One of the Scion Saga, Opaque is Calix Leigh- Reign’s debut novel. A Young Adult story that beautifully intertwines Sci-Fi with mystery and a little young love.

Adam, a sixteen years old boy, struggles through his teenage years fighting an inner darkness. In the beginning, we are led to believe Adam is a sociopath. With no real friends, and dark, inappropriate thoughts towards others, he puts on a façade just to get through the day. When he meets Carly though, he notices things beginning to change, and not just inside himself, but in his surroundings as well.

Being as Carly is a new student, every student is drawn to her, wanting to be her friend. But, when she meets Adam, she is immediately drawn to him, and only cares to get to know him. Seeing who he really is, Carly has to step carefully, to choose whether to help him or avoid him and let him fall into the warped pit that is his mind.

Both, however, are forced together regardless of their feelings when their lives are put at stake by forces much greater than any could have expected. Throwing Adam into a world that he had no idea existed. Finding friends, and coming together they must battle to save those that they love or be lost in the maelstrom threatening to rock all their worlds.

Written in the first person, we are given a look through both, Carly and Adam’s eyes. More so Adam, but I felt that it was better that way in the sense that Adam is a very complex character with lots of development. By the end of the story, Adam seems like an entirely new character.

I do not have much to speak on negatively about this novel. The only thing I can mention is that the story could have done with one more run through for errors. The errors I found were easily spotted. They were not many, but it was enough to be worth mentioning.

On to the positives! From the plot line to the writing style, to the character development, it was well put together. Quite a few times, I even found myself looking up certain words as I had never seen or heard them before. I, for one, will not complain about learning some new words. The pacing was also steady, once I started reading the book, I found it difficult to put down, especially towards the end, when everything came to a head. Lastly, the character development was excellent.

As I stated before, Adam’s character saw the most growth, from a dark, twisted minded young boy; he became a strong, powerful, young man willing to go to the ends of the earth for the young women he loved and for his mother that braved it all with him. As for the other characters, they were also well rounded, and while we didn’t see as much character growth with them, it was still there.

I loved this book. From the moment I started reading I was pulled in and held tight. With that said I rate Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign a 3 out of 4 stars. I wanted to rate this book a full 4 out of 4 stars, if it hadn’t been for the errors I found, it would have been rated as such. Opaque is a book any Sci-fi reader would love and one I would certainly recommend. When her next book is released, I will certainly be checking it out.

Opaque
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like TrishaAnn92's review? Post a comment saying so!
Good review, thanks for it 🙂 I just finished the book earlier today. It's a good book and a slight misfortune for the grammar and misspellings. But thanks for the review, it's nice to look at it and see how I can do better. I'm waiting to see if through this review I can be an official reviewer ha hopefully!
"In every Heaven you'll find some Hell.And there's a welcome in each farewell.Life can be harsh the future strict, who would dare predict.So let's be happy, forever happy, completely happy. And a tiny bit sad."Happy/Sad-Addams Family Musical
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html

Post by Aan Granados »

Too bad about the errors but this sounds great! I already love the protagonist , from being a quiet and kinda weird boy who transform to being strong. Thanks for your review!
David+Hubbell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-hubbell.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Loved Caravaggio by Belle Ami

Post by David+Hubbell »

It's always great to find a book that grabs your interest. An excellent job with this review. Not a book that interests me.
Dylan921
Favorite Book: The Date Farm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dylan921.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Dylan921 »

Sounds like a great book for young readers. It’s really unfortunate about the errors. Your review was very good.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”