Official Review: Ring of Fire by Stevie Rae Causey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Serena [Poetree]
Currently Reading: Earthkeepers
Bookshelf Size: 638
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-poetree.html
Latest Review: "Ring of Fire" by Stevie Rae Causey

Official Review: Ring of Fire by Stevie Rae Causey

Post by Serena [Poetree] »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ring of Fire" by Stevie Rae Causey.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ring of Fire by Stevie Rae Causey is a young adult fantasy about love, loss, and lies.

When humans first set foot on the continent where this book is set, they attacked the Mystics who lived there, forcing the elves, faeries, imps, and other magical beings into the forest and overtaking the land that once belonged to them. The human king formed an Elite force of soldiers to patrol the boundaries, and his law forbade contact with the Mystic races.

At the opening of the book, Kala has been living on a farm with her uncle and cousin, Audri, since her parents were killed by Mystics when she was six years old. Ten years later, she learns that everything she'd been told about their deaths—and the Mystics—may not be true. Her revelations begin when she is captured by a Mystic and subsequently rescued by an elf named Azlyn.

The story, though stumbling with errors in the beginning, quickly becomes a gripping tale with the introduction of Azlyn and the revelation of secrets and truths. I did, however, appreciate the time taken to develop Audri, uncle John, and their relationship with Kala. This background helped to give further depth to Kala's character, and to set a foundation for her story. Kala is easy to relate to, and her reactions to everything are very realistic.

A very unexpected twist occurs early on, though it's not the only one. Even the ending is wholly unexpected. However, it left me neither confused nor unsatisfied, and enough questions and open ends remain for the possibility of a sequel.

I loved learning more about the Mystics throughout the book. Azlyn's people have their own story, which in turn reveals pieces of other Mystic people's, and even the humans', stories. Even nature has a story. Really, each one is just a thread of a larger narrative.

Ring of Fire has some wonderfully deep themes woven in, though it can, at times, feel a bit shallow. Although there seems to be good and evil, the lines blur, revealing the opposing sides as simply two groups of people with complex, sad histories, trying to gain peace for themselves. It's a tale of acceptance, of learning that “them” is just an extension of “us,” and that hatred stems from ignorance.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It's a captivating story with beautiful themes, though there are a few errors and the romance sets in far too quickly. I almost wish the book was fleshed out more!

Ring of Fire
View: on Bookshelves

Like Serena [Poetree]'s review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Ring of Fire" by Stevie Rae Causey
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

I don't like romance stories that move too quickly. Don't think I'll pick this one up. Thanks for the review! :)
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

I'm drawn to the themes you mentioned, especially that of acceptance and tolerance. Thank you for your review :)
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”