Shiver By Maggie Stiefvater

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mariah B
Bookshelf Size: 0

Shiver By Maggie Stiefvater

Post by Mariah B »

Shiver was an incredible read. Stiefvater managed to give us an unimaginable love story between a girl and her wolf. At times it was beautiful, and other times it just seemed impossible for them to keep the love they had found. Truly a great book and an even better love story. Sam is the kind and caring man that I think most women hope for, his love for Gracie is so raw and pure it is heartwarming. Definitely one of the top love stories I have read. I would recommend this book and I will be continuing with the series.
estellv
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-estellv.html

Post by estellv »

I completely agree! This novel really gave me goosebumps. The imagery is so powerful throughout the story and it really pulls you in. She is a very talented author. I have yet to read the next novel in the series. I'm definitely going to try and get my hands on it. You'll have to tell me how you like it! ~vik
fari30
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Post by fari30 »

To be honest, I didn't like Shiver that much. I thought it was kinda bland and none of the characters really interested me. However, Sinner, the companion novel was incredible! I enjoyed that one a lot more. To be honest, I've enjoyed everything I read by Maggie Steifvater (the Raven Cycle books that I've read so far and The Scorpion Races) but Shiver just fell flat for me.
My weekend is all booked!
KacieLW
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kacielw.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by KacieLW »

I really loved the first book when I read it a couple of years ago. I didn't like the second book as much and so I didn't go onto the third one. I was thinking about finishing the series recently but I feel like its been so long since I read the first two that I would need to reread them. I'm not sure that I really want to so I don't know that I'll continue on. Regardless, I did still really enjoy the first one.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

I don't know if it's just me, but I just have never been able to get into Maggie Stiefvater's books. Shiver was no exception. I thought it was kind of bland, and I just felt a disconnect from the characters and the plot. I did finish the series though, and while I'm glad I got closure, I'm afraid it won't be on my list of favorites.
Bookaholic_Anonymous
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookaholic-anonymous.html

Post by Bookaholic_Anonymous »

I read Shiver and really liked where it was going but by the second book I only made it to like the third chapter and stopped...that was about two years ago. I still don't have the need to finish the series. Mostly I just wanted the books to be mainly about Grace and Sam, which the first book was, but the others added other people's POV and that's where it lost me.
viridien

Post by viridien »

I don't particularly like the world (or the plot) that Stiefvater creates, but I love her characters and her whimsical, magical, prose style. Those are the only reasons her books are still on my favorites list. ;;
nicoledr
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicoledr.html

Post by nicoledr »

I agree! I really enjoyed the story that she told and where she took the series as a whole.
red_velvet_girl7
Favorite Author: sylvia day
Currently Reading: Out of the Box Everlasting
Bookshelf Size: 310
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-red-velvet-girl7.html
fav_author_id: 3447

Post by red_velvet_girl7 »

I read this series 5 years ago and I really liked it. The main characters Sam and Grace are one of my favourite fictional characters. And their love for each other is so awe inspiring.. <3
smhawkins
Currently Reading: The Art of Racing in the Rain
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smhawkins.html
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni

Post by smhawkins »

I read this book back in high school, so it's been a while. Never got to the second one, though.
Anyone know if it's any good?
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni
Kitekat
Currently Reading: Promise
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitekat.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited

Post by Kitekat »

I read the book awhile ago. It was the first of many books by Stiefvater I read. Her stories are just so raw, intense and leave you with a broken heart. Once I started reading Shiver, I decided sleep was overrated and finished it by the next morning. I also made a stop to the nearby bookstore the get the other two books in the series. I loved the story of a girl who loved a wolf and later on the boy inside the wolf. I was a big, emotional mess after finishing the series. So naturally I read it again and again and again ...
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

I agree. The imagery was beautiful and intense. Even in the moments when the story was slow paced it still kept you on the edge. I couldn't read this book fast enough.
T_Elizabeth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by T_Elizabeth »

I read this book years ago when I was in high school, and I absolutely fell in love with it. I remember breezing through the first book and then frantically locating a copy of the second book to read that one. Unfortunately, I cannot remember if I read the third book in the series...but that's okay it just means I found myself three books to read over fall break in a week! I am really excited to revisit the story, and I hope I enjoy it as much as I did the first time around. Thanks for reminding me about this series and author!
Ash and Stars
Bookshelf Size: 640
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ash-and-stars.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman

Post by Ash and Stars »

It's not too long since I read Shiver. I liked it so much that I read the rest of the series in a short space of time. Unfortunately I didn't think the rest of the books in the series were as good as Shiver though
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
valegrissom
Currently Reading: The Paper Magician
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by valegrissom »

I read this series quite a while back. I liked the series, and I love this author, but her newest series The Raven Cycle is her best work so far. (In my opinion, of course.)

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”