Review: Pretty Little Liars- Book 1

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Icon Review: Pretty Little Liars- Book 1

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Hello Everyone!
This is my first actual review, so please, be kind. :)

Pretty Little Liars is the first book in the hit series by Sara Shepard, which is also a hit T.V. show. Before I begin, I'd like to point out that I have never watched the show, so I was totally unbiased upon starting the book.

When I starting reading Pretty Little Liars, I had no idea what to expect. I had heard good and bad, so decied to give it a shot. I am typically not much of a "young adult fiction" reader, but every now and then I like something out of the ordinary. When the book starts, you are quickly introduced to the young women who will be the main characters. The book is about a group of young girls who are broken and shattered from a confusing mysterous disappearance of a friend, and then are later harassed and seemingly stalked by someone claiming to be an annonymous "A." The thought processes throughout the book do sound like they are coming from "young adult" characters, but the activities and actions of the characters did not follow well with me. I know part of the book in itself is telling the story of very priviledged high school girls, but I was a little disappointed at how easily the girls were able to run their school and do whatever they pleased without much of a thought from their parents or teachers. I was a little annoyed by the time I finished the book, only because there are several moments where the girls are total brats, but the first book leaves you in a position where you immediately want to know what happens to these girls! SO, I found the second book... and I will review it later! :)
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

Personally, I prefer the tv series than the books. It just gave more insight into the back-story of the girls and why they did what they did. I enjoyed the book though.
Mdoucet1086
Currently Reading: Wonder Woman
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mdoucet1086.html
Latest Review: "The Ultimate Guide to Zombies" by Dave Robertson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mdoucet1086 »

I really enjoyed this series up until about book 8. I feel like she could have ended the series there and it would have been fine. I got lost once I got into books 9 and 10 because it was so far away from the original story line and you could tell she was just writing because the Tv show was popular.
Latest Review: "The Ultimate Guide to Zombies" by Dave Robertson
Sav Sparkman
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by Sav Sparkman »

I watched the tv series, and still am not sure how I feel about it. There were parts I was very invested in, and parts when I became very bored. I am curious whether the books will hold my interest more, and if the way they end is different. In my opinion, the reveal of A’s identity at the end of the tv series came out of nowhere and I was a bit disappointed it wasn’t a character we had been introduced to until then, and therefore not one I could have guessed. If the book series does a better job of leaving clues throughout that point to who is A, I would definitely be interested in reading them.
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” —Helen Keller

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”