What's your favorite YA books that are amazing to you?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
afton_moye
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afton-moye.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Re: What's your favorite YA books that are amazing to you?

Post by afton_moye »

I absolutely LOVE The Percy Jackson & The Olympians series!! I forget how I actually came across the series but I'm sure glad I found it. It's about the Greek gods of Olympus and their half blood offspring that they have with humans. You read it from the pov of Percy Jackson, son of Poseidon and Sally Jackson. He gets kicked out of multiple schools for fighting and causing distractions in class. He's pretty much your average juvenile delinquent until he gets in trouble with the wrong teacher and discovers he is not so average after all. Soon, he finds himself at Camp Half- Blood. It's a place that demigods like him can be safe. But not for long. Percy is soon accused of something unforgivable and tasked with a quest to prove himself innocent. This book has action, suspense, and an amazing plot line that keeps you up all night with Percy's sarcastic jokes. It's one of those series that can be appreciated by people of all ages. As you read you find yourself growing up with Percy Jackson as he fights mystical beings and even gods. I also like how this book taught me how to take charge and make people believe in you, even if you don't completely believe in yourself. This series written by Rick Riordan is truly a one of a kind!
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Booklover1606
Currently Reading: The Richest Man In Babylon
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover1606.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Booklover1606 »

I love anything from Entangled Crush Publishing. My favorite is the Backstage Pass series.
Omgitsveronica
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Omgitsveronica »

So I have been eyeing this book “Nearly Gone” by Elle Cosimano, for awhile and I finally purchased it from thriftbooks. It was a GREAT read it has suspense, mystery, a little Romance wrapped in it and there’s a sequel that I’m definitely going to buy and read. I actually would love to see this book as a movie!!!!
christacarb1
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christacarb1.html

Post by christacarb1 »

I read the Girl Online trilogy, which I thought was pretty good. Also, Harry Potter is very close to my heart as I read the series years ago and always go back to it.
Kathryn Price
Currently Reading: The Fifth Season
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathryn-price.html
Latest Review: The Doughnut Boy by Michael R. Dennis

Post by Kathryn Price »

The Hunger Games trilogy is my favorite YA series. There's something about the way they're written that makes them more personal than any other trilogy. Other than that, Lois Lowry's The Giver (and the connected books Gathering Blue, Messenger, and Son), and Number the Stars are really good. Divergent is a good series, though I haven't read Four yet, either. The Maze Runner series, Harry Potter, and Percy Jackson are all good. My favorite YA standalone book right now is The Book Thief, which is extremely emotional. I was sobbing my way through the end of that one.
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

I'm in love with Marissa Meyer's Lunar Chronicles. I think, of all the books in the series, I'd say Cress is probably my favorite. But I'm a huge fan of all the books. She's just such an amazing writer and the amount of development her characters has is vastly impressive to me. Especially considering the fact that Cinder was the first book she ever had published.
treestand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-treestand.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by treestand »

A really great YA series is Kresley Cole’s Arcana novels. It’s a wonderful, emmersive series that starts when the world as we know it ends. However, it’s not just any end of the world situation. 26 young adults find out they’re Major Arcane Cards, each with their own special abilities and personas. Then they figure out that only one of them can survive. It’s a great series and the next installment is due out soon! I highly recommend it. And if you want to venture out of YA, Kresley Cole also has an Immortals After Dark series that’s outstanding as well!
Whippet
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whippet.html
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Whippet »

If I read YA novels they're usually quieter in tone than those also covered in the fantasy/adventure/sci-fi genres, more based in everyday life, maybe with a touch of fantasy here and there. The ones I've enjoyed best off the top of my head:

Saving Francesca and Looking for Alibrandi, both by Melina Marchetta (Australian author)
Spider, by William Taylor (New Zealand author)
How I Live Now, by Meg Rosoff
Stargirl, by Jerry Spinelli
The Tricksters, by Margaret Mahy (New Zealand author)

Then there are novels classed more as literary fiction, but about teenagers - I don't believe they're targeted at teenagers but I believe teens would love them as much as adults looking for amazing writing and storytelling. Books like The Basic Eight by Daniel Handler and Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl, both embroiling their teen protagonists in murder and mystery :)
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi
Sophiereads
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sophiereads »

Well, it depends on what genre of YA you like.

I prefer mystery and romance so my favourites would have to be The Cherub series (by Robert Muchamore) if you are into spys, action and mystery. I also love Eden Summer (liz flanagan). I found it at the library and although it doesn't develop the characters too much it is still a great read if you are into romance and mystery but the kind of sad book. However, my favourite would have to be We were Liars (E. Lockhart). It is one of the most beautifully written books i have ever read. It is smart, gripping and has the touch of sad romace as well as a mystery.

Happy reading
Poet0113
Currently Reading: The Lightning Theif
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reading Device: B01LYLAALJ

Post by Poet0113 »

My favorite YA book series is the House of Night series by P. C. and Kristen Cast. The books are about a Native American girl who becomes a vampire in Tulsa, Oklahoma which is where I live and where the authors live. The writing, the twists and turns, and the detailed research that went into it is perfect. It's been my favorite series for over 8 years now.
Musae
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-musae.html
Latest Review: That Place of Knowledge by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Musae »

Thank you - I love to find new books and series and this is an excellent way to find some
Heathernross26
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =9179">Red Queen</a>
Currently Reading: James and the Giant Peach
Bookshelf Size: 213

Post by Heathernross26 »

I am totally obsessed with Victoria Aveyard's Red Queen series. It's absolutely amazing. There is a little bit of Hunger games, X-Men, Cinderella, and Game of Thrones vibe in it. The lead heroin Mare Barrow evolves so much throughout the series that makes you feel like you know her. I am rooting for her and the final book is due out this year! Im so excited
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Amystl26 »

Thyashi wrote: 30 Jun 2016, 00:13 I have a new favorite book every month! But I think that as of today I really like the book, memoirs of an imaginary friend, by Matthew dicks. I finished in in only a few days because I was so attached to the story line and the characters. It's a unique book for sure, the main character is an. Imaginary friend who's boy has aspergers disease. I would recommend it to anyone willing to step out and try something new with books.
Haha, it seems I have a new favorite book every month as well! This book soinds great! I love a good YA book thrown in to the mix every now and then!
Amystl26
Currently Reading:

Post by Amystl26 »

Heathernross26 wrote: 29 Jan 2018, 23:10 I am totally obsessed with Victoria Aveyard's Red Queen series. It's absolutely amazing. There is a little bit of Hunger games, X-Men, Cinderella, and Game of Thrones vibe in it. The lead heroin Mare Barrow evolves so much throughout the series that makes you feel like you know her. I am rooting for her and the final book is due out this year! Im so excited
Ooh sounds like quite the mix with all those others thrown in-- I might have to give it a shot! Thanks!
Amystl26
Currently Reading:

Post by Amystl26 »

Sophiereads wrote: 21 Jan 2018, 20:29 Well, it depends on what genre of YA you like.

I prefer mystery and romance so my favourites would have to be The Cherub series (by Robert Muchamore) if you are into spys, action and mystery. I also love Eden Summer (liz flanagan). I found it at the library and although it doesn't develop the characters too much it is still a great read if you are into romance and mystery but the kind of sad book. However, my favourite would have to be We were Liars (E. Lockhart). It is one of the most beautifully written books i have ever read. It is smart, gripping and has the touch of sad romace as well as a mystery.

Happy reading
Speaking of not developing the character as much, I actually read my first book that did that and I actually enjoyed. I usually really want good character development, but The Binding by Nicholas Wolff paid more mind to the plot than character development. Funny how that worked-- I ended up growing more attached to the plot than the characters. I'd call that good writing after experiencing that, when before it would have been utter disappointment.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”