Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gauntrm
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gauntrm.html

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Post by gauntrm »

The Hunger Games is one of my favorite series, but Mockingjay was definitely not my favorite book in the trilogy. Long story short, the book felt rushed, like Collins just wanted to finish it. There wasn't as much suspense and the writing wasn't done as well.
BooksAreCool
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booksarecool.html

Post by BooksAreCool »

I really liked Mockingjay. I felt as if it was a little bit rushed but altogether I really loved it!

-- 20 May 2016, 03:11 --

I really liked Mockingjay. I felt as if it was a little bit rushed but altogether I really loved it!
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

I think I've posted this somewhere else on the boards but since it applies to this thread as well .... here goes.

I think Collins' first book of the series was solely targeted for a young adult readership, but as the original story began to mushroom into a cross-generational phenomena which Collins probably had not predicted her second, and more profoundly third book seem to have transitioned to a style which would appeal to a more adult readership. I think this is evidenced by the change from the primarily action driven first book to the gradual transition in the second (Catching Fire) and third book (Mockingjay) which drifted toward more emotional and psychological themes which older and perhaps more serious readers would find interesting.

I thought all three books were great but I did not like the way Collins ended the trilogy. I came up with what I think was a much better ending and I posted it here .... somewhere ... *looking all around* but I'm too lazy to look for it.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

I felt the same way! Mockingjay was the most disappointing book in the series, from both plot and writing styles points of view. Half of the time the emotion I felt as I was reading did not match up with the type of action that was going on in the book. I wouldn't say that the book was slapped together, but it does seem that Collins had a bit more trouble writing it.
agent_books

Post by agent_books »

I really love the Hunger Games Series. The Mockingjay has a great title but it's a MOCKING title. The content seems rushed out and the author's in a hurry to publish it so she just went on and on about what she want to happen in the story.
Beautiful_Athena
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beautiful-athena.html

Post by Beautiful_Athena »

Mockingjay did feel a bit rushed but I did really love the ending. She did an amazing in really bringing people into reading books , the hunger games was actually the very first young adult series I ever read. And I've been hooked ever sense. :!:
2purpleweaz2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-2purpleweaz2.html

Post by 2purpleweaz2 »

Mockingjay did seem rushed and too predictable. I really felt cheated with rushed ending, especially after the first two were so intense and full of such great twists and turns.
Buddyisabunny

Post by Buddyisabunny »

true but this is still one of my favorite series :P

-- 04 Jul 2016, 16:47 --

true but this is still one of my favorite series :P
erica_bvs
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 668">Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince</a>
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erica-bvs.html

Post by erica_bvs »

I agree with you. There was definitely something missing in the third book. I still love the series though.
michellebkane

Post by michellebkane »

gauntrm wrote:The Hunger Games is one of my favorite series, but Mockingjay was definitely not my favorite book in the trilogy. Long story short, the book felt rushed, like Collins just wanted to finish it. There wasn't as much suspense and the writing wasn't done as well.
I totally agree! I feel like the whole story lacked the same finesse of the first two. I also felt the deaths were a bit of a cop out. The end of this book left me a bit sour.
el_nordie
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-nordie.html

Post by el_nordie »

I agree that Mockingjay did feel a bit rushed. However, I still enjoyed it. The story was still captivating and exciting! The end was a bit slow, but the epilogue made it all worth it. The second time I read it, it was easier to read and I enjoyed it more!
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

And here I thought I was the only one who didn't like Mockingjay. It definitely felt like a rush job. I had really high hopes for it because it was the last book of the series and the first two books were really awesome. I remember how I felt as I finished the book: empty. Like, really? I finished three books for this ending? Oh well. :(
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
manatee glasses
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 659">don't call me ishmael</a>
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manatee-glasses.html

Post by manatee glasses »

I didn't really enjoy reading Mockingjay because it felt a little rushed. I remember reading through the first few chapters then getting bored towards the middle of the book. After that, I lost interest in the story and tried to just finish the book as quickly as possible.
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

I loved the last book and the ending made sense to me. It felt complete.
sophiemer642
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 97930">The Popularity Papers (The Popularity Papers #1)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114

Post by sophiemer642 »

I also agree. Out of the three books that makes this series, Mockingjay was my least favorite. But I have to disagree with the people that say it was a terrible book. I loved the book, just not as much as the other ones. I can see how it might have seemed rushed, but I still believe this book is wonderful and showed a lot of potential.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”