Official Review: Kingsley by Carolyn O'Neal

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Include the name of the book, and if possible the author's name, in the title of the topic. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
ALynnPowers
2017 Reading Goal: 125
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 3
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: The Shaman's Daughter by Nicki Royall Peet
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Official Review: Kingsley by Carolyn O'Neal

Post by ALynnPowers » 01 May 2016, 02:50

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kingsley" by Carolyn O'Neal.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kingsley by Carolyn O’Neal is a young adult dystopian novel that takes a look at the potential disasters that could await mankind, thanks to man-made pollution and the effects that could lead to the downfall of men. Literally, men. In this alternate, yet highly realistic future, all males of the world, starting with the most basic of animals and moving up to mammals over time, have been struck by a disease that triggers the Y-chromosome, leading to headaches, tumors, reproductive failure, and eventually the death of all male creatures on earth. This apocalypse, known as the Collapse, has a disastrous effect on the world as a whole, as plants and food crops also die off due to a lack of pollination by the insects and birds that have gone extinct.

The first part of this book follows fourteen-year-old Kingsley as the Collapse begins. He lives with his mother, the caregiver for an elderly plantation owner and oil tycoon, and is secretive in love with Amanda, the granddaughter of the wealthy family. Unlike other girls their age, Amanda has long been concerned about the environment and the strange sickness that has recently taken over the local wildlife. Kingsley’s mother only seem to care about money, and now that Kingsley has been diagnosed with the Y-chromosome tumors, she’s up to even more shady activities.

The second part of the book jumps ahead and takes a look at forty years in the future, after the Collapse has run its course and all of the men in the world have died. I don’t want to go into too much detail about this section because it would certainly spoil some pretty significant twists in the story, and I was definitely surprised when those popped up in the plot. I must admit that I kind of enjoyed following Kingsley as a teenager – he was young and naive but very well-portrayed and easy to sympathize with due to his tragic life and diagnosis with the new disease – so I didn’t much care for the characters who dominated this second part of the book.

There are a lot of heavy themes that are addressed within this well-written, well-researched, fast-paced novel. Environmental concerns, pollution, oil drilling, the extinction of certain species of insects/animals, rape, war, cloning, genetic manipulation, feminism, anti-feminism, and so on. This list actually looks tiny compared to all of the topics that seemed to be explored throughout this book. On one hand, I highly admire the author for attacking so many heavy topics and not dumbing them down to simplify things for the audience for which this book was targeted. Teenagers and young adults are smarter than we often give them credit for, and this book doesn’t beat around the bush about the harsh realities of the world.

On the other hand, there are so many things crammed into these pages, I found it a bit overwhelming to get a clear sense of what this book was even supposed to be about. Based on the cover and description of the book, I thought this would be focused on the effects that the extinction of bees would have on the world. While this scenario is mentioned briefly in the beginning, it doesn’t seem to be the focus of the story at all.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading this story. The majority of the book was full of action, with lots of characters and complex relationships playing out among them. However, the first part of the book was much more enjoyable to read than the second part, especially near the very end of the book when the pacing just seemed to veer away from the pacing of the rest of the book. There was so much going on with too many characters involved in the action, and then the ending of the book just came on abruptly. I feel like there wasn’t much of a conclusion at all. For this reason, I give Kingsley by Carolyn O’Neal a rating of 3 out of 4 stars.

Kingsley
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ALynnPowers's review? Post a comment saying so!

Swiftmover07
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swiftmover07.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Swiftmover07 » 02 May 2016, 12:37

nice well written review!
Goodnight sweet prince, may flights of devils wing you to your rest. - Anne Rice

Carolyn ONeal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Carolyn ONeal » 02 May 2016, 13:10

Thank you so very much for this thoughtful review of KINGSLEY. Reviews are the best learning tools for authors and I very much appreciate the honest and encouraging feedback. I am working on the sequel and your insights are a definite help!

Thank you for letting me share KINGSLEY with your readers.

Warmest regards,
Carolyn O'Neal

hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 91
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: Lair of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 452
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hsimone.html
Latest Review: Love, Sugar & Cookie by Susan Marie Chapman
Publishing Contest Votes: 27

Post by hsimone » 05 May 2016, 05:12

Wonderful review, ALynnPowers! I like how you mentioned the positives about this book and what could have been improved. Congratulations to the author for receiving a great review! :)
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4

Carolyn ONeal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Carolyn ONeal » 05 May 2016, 18:07

Thank you!

kimmyschemy06
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 164
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 136
Currently Reading: Octavio & the Lotus
Bookshelf Size: 563
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor: Vampires by RK Wheeler

Post by kimmyschemy06 » 07 May 2016, 09:37

I love the premise. Not only is it interesting, it is also something to contemplate on. I hope I get the chance to read it. Great review.

PashaRu
Currently Reading: "voices and groans and shrieks and wailings"
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu » 08 May 2016, 23:06

The extinction of men???? That WOULD be the Apocalypse!!! lolol

Once again you have proven yourself Queen of the Reviews and Such. Insightful with lots of good points and tea.

:wink2:
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”