Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon (Spoilers tagged)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aijaace
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Bookshelf Size: 157
fav_author_id: 3720

Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon (Spoilers tagged)

Post by Aijaace »

“The smile he gives me is worth living for.” Well, I would say if you had someone like Olly, everything they do should be worth living for, but then again that’s my opinion. Not very often I find a book that is so realistic yet so fictional at the same time. I am very glad that I found this book and I was able to read it in one sitting.

Madeline Whittier, a 17 year old, has been stuck inside of her house for her whole life. She has watched neighbors move in next door and then leave, and it breaks her heart that she is not apart of the outside world. Madeline had a very rare disease that fuels all of the precautions that her mother and nurse, Carla, have to take to ensure her survival. Madeline is all about keeping herself safe from anything that could be a possible trigger to her disease, and that involves having the air filtered before entering the house, having everyone who plans on going into the house go through an hour long decontamination process, and having everything without germs. With having to stay in her house, she doesn't have a social life, and she doesn't nessarily want one, until Olly comes along.

Olly, the tall, dark, handsome, parkour enthusiast with the alcoholic father, doggie sister and weak mother. When Olly moves in next door, Madeline is of course watching her new neighbors move in and they meet eyes, kind of like love at first sight, even though Madeline has never experienced any type of love except for loving books, Carla, and her mother. Being the typical good new neighbors, Olly and his sister walk over to Maddeline’s house with a bundt cake that their mother made. Pauline, Maddeline's mother, unfortunately has to refuse the cake because what ever could be in that cake could also be a tigger for Madeline. When Olly is at the door, he wants to meet Madeline, but Pauline rudely says that he cannot.

Later that same day, Madeline and Olly find each other somehow on line and start e-mailing and IMing. For weeks this continues and whenever they get to a topic that is uncomfortable, like Madeline’s illness or Olly’s father, they say they do not want to talk about it and the conversation ends. Olly starts talking about school and how he is excited to finally meet Maddy face-to-face, but because of her illness she does not go to a public high school. She finally tells him about her illness and he still wants to meet her. Maddy does also want to meet him face to face and she asks Carla if he can come over. Carla immediately replies with a no, but after a couple of days filled with guilt, she agrees but Pauline cannot know about it.

When they finally meet each other, they cannot touch and they have to stay on opposite sides of the room, but they still enjoy it more than IMing each other. They abide by the rules, even though they deserve more. With a couple of meetings under their belts, they are getting more comfortable with each other and Maddy decides that she wants to learn how to do a handstand, against the wall. Their meeting that time changed everything. When she was trying to do a handstand, she started to fall and with Olly’s amazing agility, he grabs onto her ankles so she doesn't fall. This was an amazing moment because that was the first time they touched. With young love crackling between the two, they kiss and all is good in the world until Carla interrupts them, but she did not see them touching/kissing. They continue these meetings and touch each other, kiss and talk, until Maddy’s mother finds out.

**BIG TIME SPOILERS**

“A single black rubber band sits on my nightstand. She knows.” When Pauline finds out, she fires Carla for letting Olly visit and forbids Maddy from talking and especially meeting with Olly. Maddy is furious, who wouldn't be? She had enough with her mother watching her every move and decides to go outside. So, Maddy decides to run away and takes Olly with her. They end up going to Hawaii to see the Humuhumunukunukuapuaa, Hawaii’s national fish. Their time there is perfect, until it isn't. Maddy wakes up from a nap and feels awful, deadly awful. Olly immeadietly calls an ambulance and they go. Maddy wakes up back at home with barely any memory of her time in the hospital. Her mother is furious with her for leaving the house and locks up hard on security. Maddy is devastated that she had to put Olly through that so she breaks it off with him leaving them both heartbroken. When Madddy Recives an email from a doctor in Hawaii that worked with her, Maddy begins to doubt her whole life, and her mother’s intentions.

The e-mail states that the doctor has studied her case very carefully and had come to the conclusion that Maddy does not have this rare disease. She asks her mother about it and she is oddly susious about it saying right away that the doctor had no idea what she was talking about. Maddy looks more closely to her whole life and documents that have information on her disease, but she doesn't have any. Apparently, her mother was keeping her in a bubble because a couple of months after Maddy’s brother and father’s deaths she had gotten sick and Pauline did not want to loose another loved one so she tried to protect Maddy from the outside world.

After the Hawaii incident Olly moves away to New York and Maddy is alone again. Maddy decides that she has to go to New York to find Olly and she buys a ticket and sends him a text telling him that he has present at the book store new his home. The present ends up being Maddy and he gladly takes it.

**DONE WITH SPOILERS**

This was a book that I would gladly recommend to another but I would never give my own copy, it's too precious. Everything Everything had so many things that I look for in books, and I love that I found it. Like with all of my reviews, my priority is emotions. Did I feel the character’s emotions in my chest while reading? Did I feel like the character? Were there some relatable parts? Yes, yes and yes.

When Maddy has to live with this disease that does not allow her to go outside, she finds ways to keep herself happy even if she can't do outside. Maddy becomes someone that I think everyone should in some way aspire to be because she is keeping herself happy even though if she goes outside, she may die. Some people would call her an optimist, and I agree, but she is more than that. She is someone who you want to be and someone who you want to have in your life.

Olly is the typical ‘perfect book boyfriend.’ He does everything he can to make Maddy happy and he is sweet and lovely but at the same time he has a difficult family and is not normal. He keeps trying to make the relationship work between Maddy and himself no matter the obsticals. He would do anything for her.

This was a wonderful book that I expect to read a whole bunch more times and each time I will most likely have a different view and relate to different parts. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to read a book that is realistic, young adult romance, sad, and happy. There are so many different emotions in this book, I cannot believe I was able to keep up with it all. Starting with optimism/pessimistic, and ending with betrayal and love is one of the best ways to start and end and book.
taleasoldastime_
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taleasoldastime.html

Post by taleasoldastime_ »

Great review. I read this in one sitting and it brought tears to my eyes. Great story!
sophieee
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophieee.html

Post by sophieee »

This is by far one of the best books I have read all year. Absolutely LOVED the story line!

Great review. :D
jenn17
Currently Reading: Lady Midnight
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenn17.html

Post by jenn17 »

This book was an emotional rollercoaster. I loved the writing style and also the doodles on some pages. To me this book was wonderful. I am never good at predicting what will come next and this book definitely took a turn. This is a book I will continue to pick up and read.
Amerz13

Post by Amerz13 »

For me this book was a real eye-opener. This is because it helped me understand the difficulties that some people face. The positive attitude that was shown throughout the novel showed me that I should be more greatful for my life. The romance was very subtle which emphasised the importance of loving yourself as well as someone else. The only negative was that I felt the storyline also followed "The fault in our stars", however it was a joy to read and I would definitely recommend it. Nicola Yoon is a great author who really goes into depth,making you feel for the characters and want to find out more. I just hope the film can carry on this amazing journey the same way.
kubania

Post by kubania »

This book is so emotional... I love the romance between the two lovers
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

This book is such an emotional read. The review was great. I'll definitely check it out
Esebright

Post by Esebright »

The book and the movie is so emotional i so love it
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Haute_Coffee »

I loved this book. I need to see the movie too.
deansimpala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by deansimpala »

I decided to read this book because I shared the same name as the main character. I was pleasantly surprised by the emotional rollercoaster the book set me on.
Moray_001
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Moray_001 »

I watched the movie but I haven’t read the book yet.
acupofsubtletea
Currently Reading: A Study in Charlotte
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acupofsubtletea.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by acupofsubtletea »

I tend to pride myself on knowing there’s a twist coming in a book, but I had absolutely no idea about this one. I did not predict it at all and that just made me love the book even more.
Bookworm 47

Post by Bookworm 47 »

I only read the first chapter so far. It would be so sad to be stuck in you home .
Reviews by A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviews-by-a.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Reviews by A »

Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon was recommended to me by a friend. It is the first book I have read by the author and the first in this genre in a long time. I expected to finish the book and say "good book". I did not expect to be shocked by the outcome because I thought I had that figured out from the back cover. I have thanked my friend for sharing this author and book with me and am delighted that it was not what I had expected nor was it a "good book". It was an extremely good book! I am still thinking of the selfishness of Pauline and the courage of Madeline. I love Carla for being Carla!! & Olly for being Olly!! These are characters that live with you long after the written story ends. I would give it 4 out of 4 stars. I am not giving away spoilers but I am so thankful that Madeline met Olly, joined his world, and that she had Carla to support and encourage her along the way. My frustration is with Pauline for not being a better, responsible parent. I will stop there....read the book!!
I-Love-Books-123
Currently Reading:

Post by I-Love-Books-123 »

Everything, everything by Nicola Yoon is incredible, and the movie adaptation does capture the basic story line in the novel, but it didn’t express how in love Maddy and Olly were. The movie didn’t show how abusive Olly’s father is which makes Olly’s decision to go to Hawaii with Maddy less meaningful.

The book makes me feel like I’m in the sunroom with Olly and Maddy, in the middle of their love and able to experience what they are thinking and feeling. I definitely recommend the book way more than the movie.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”