Official Review: Mysteries of Brettenwood by David Blank

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Re: Official Review: Mysteries of Brettenwood by David Blank

Post by revna01 »

Brettenwood Forest and the mysteries contained therein sound like a captivating backdrop for this YA novel. I'm curious about the witch and what becomes of Erik and his friends. Great review.
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

This book sounds a little younger than YA, actually, to me it feels closer to Middle Grade. But it doesn't matter, because it sounds AWESOME. I love fun stories like this that don't take itself too seriously, and the characters sound delightful. Thank you so much for the review!
Preshgold73
Favorite Book: Yesterday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preshgold73.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Preshgold73 »

I love books that are intriguing and mysterious, and this book did just that. It sure will make a good read. Thanks for the review
Preshgold73
Favorite Book: Yesterday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preshgold73.html

Post by Preshgold73 »

I love books that are intriguing and mysterious, and this book did just that. It sure will make a good read. Thanks for the review
mamiDEzzruiz
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by mamiDEzzruiz »

Thank you for your review. As I read thru the sample I was able to notice those grammar errors. I am intrigued so far therefore, I will finish reading this book.
mariakavo88
Currently Reading: Raven's Fall
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariakavo88.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mariakavo88 »

I also enjoy YA fantasy and have to say it is one of my favorite, if not favorite genres. I original started to read the sample and decided to just download the whole book so I could read the whole thing. It sounds like an interesting book and even though I have not read it yet, I hope it ends up in a series as well because in my opinion that would make it that much better. thanks for the review.
AMill77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by AMill77 »

Even your review was fun!
I also love YA fantasy in fact- the scarier the better! And I agree, there was just enough description to immerse you in the story without losing you in the midst of it. Sounds like ike a fun read! Thanks for your review !
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

The Mysteries of Brettenwood by David Blank is indeed the first in a series of YA dark fantasy novels with a Gothic touch. So Congratulations to Mr. Blank for starting an adventure set in a huge unknowable forest where just about anybody or anything is ready to pounce on our fears and weaknesses. Like any smart 12-year-old, Erik Christian’s curiosity can get him into trouble but his friend, Kristina Glynnis, who is just as smart, seems to be more grounded. Together, they are drawn to the mysterious forest and become fascinated with uncovering its strange inhabitants and secrets. Many would be curious to know what would become of Erik, Kristina and their friends as, according to the Amazon summary of the book, their journey into the forest leads to the discovery of their inner selves.

The first few chapters of the book introduce us to Erik, Kristina and their friends and the outer parts of the forest from the point of view of outsiders perceiving it and Erik who checks it out to the point of seeing a dark figure among the trees, wolves and a woman, and finding a cold mountain sculpture big enough to fit into his grasp. The opening chapters are interesting enough to propel us to the rest of the book where Erik will deal with the effects of keeping the mountain sculpture even as he and Kristina get to know more about the dangers of the uncharted forest. Happy reading to those who love fiction that has shades of The Blairwitch Project, The Lord of the Rings and many of our best-loved fairy tales but which clearly creates its own universe of ghosts, witches, wolves, myths and creatures. CataclysmicKnight says the book “blends hope-crushing fear with a sense of adventure extremely well, and no one is ever safe.”
Last edited by Shas F on 18 Oct 2018, 21:59, edited 2 times in total.
Uche B
Currently Reading: China rich girlfriend
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-b.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Uche B »

This sounds like a good read, good YA fantasies are hard to come by.
"Life is more than unpainted fences" - Nomnso Mordi.
goldengal1315
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goldengal1315.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by goldengal1315 »

The YA genre is not something that I would be be inclined to pick up on an average day. In the post Harry Potter age we are more fascinated then we once were with magic and and mysticism. Characters and storylines are more developed and we demand more of them and of our authors and the details they offer while at the same time holding them responsible from offering too many clues as to the storylines next turn. It seems from the review that it was a nice balance and a easy crowd pleaser.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I like the idea of having two points of view to show how a story progresses in YA stories.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Nandy
Currently Reading: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Bookshelf Size: 170

Post by Nandy »

Thanks for the review. I'm not much o a fan of scary stories, kids or adults. Looks like a good book though which contains a lot of excitement.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

Thank you for the review. It was, as you stated, a page turner but I got a bit turned off by the long run-on sentences and the excessive use of commas in the sample. Perhaps it changed further along in the book. Thanks again.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Your enthusiasm about the book and the genre is evident from your review. I loved it! I am sure this book is going to be a treat for me, as I am also a fan of YA fantasy. The shift in perspectives is something I will look forward to read, especially since Erik and Kristina's voices are so distinct from each other. Thanks again for the review!
lexiskill
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lexiskill.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by lexiskill »

An engaging young adult mystery about a town that is haunted by a nearby forest. Erik and his friends live near and see the world things that happen within the outskirts of the forest. Seems like a very good read for an adult and an excellent read for a young adult!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”