Official Review: Who Wants a Rewind? by Neil Milton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Official Review: Who Wants a Rewind? by Neil Milton

Post by Shelle »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Who Wants a Rewind?" by Neil Milton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who wants a rewind?
I think a lot of us would answer that question with a loud and enthusiastic, YES! There’s at least one bad decision, wrong turn, embarrassing gaffe, poor choice, or awful accident in each and every one of our lives that we’d like the chance to do over. In Neil Milton’s Who Wants a Rewind? That exact question is offered up in the first chapter of the book to the main character, and the reader gets to follow along as she recalls the exact moment where she’d like the rewind button to be pushed.

Lauren and Michelle are long-time pals just out of high school. Michelle is the kind of girl most of us know – stable family, parents who care about her, works hard in school, a good friend. Conversely, Lauren is the girl all the others are warned about. Her family isn’t too stable, with her dad’s live-in girlfriend doing the lion’s share of the actual parenting. She’s chummy with the local drug dealer, as well as his favorite customer, and her sense of right and wrong is heavily skewed. Despite these obvious differences, the girls genuinely care for each other and want the best for one another.

Their night out starts out like many do – a group of friends dancing together at the local nightclub. But that’s where the good times end. Lauren wants Michelle to relax and have fun, more than she usually does, so she takes it upon herself to slip Michelle some drugs, unbeknownst to her friend. Michelle’s reaction is predictably extreme – she hasn’t been a regular user like Lauren and trips out more than her friend thought she would. Actually, that’s giving Lauren too much credit. The more we learn about Lauren, the more we learn that thinking things through is not her standard operating procedure.

Author Neil Milton does an excellent job creating a cautionary tale of how bad choices, whether they be habitual or a one-time event, can have far-reaching consequences. He’s clearly passionate about this theme and it’s repeated throughout the story. Some of Milton’s writing can be a bit tough to follow, and some of the characters lacked depth and development.

Who Wants a Rewind? could easily be classified a YA fiction, but like a lot of YA, the appeal is certainly wider than just teens. Much of this story takes place in 1997, the year I graduated from high school, so I easily related to the main characters. But now, nearly twenty years later, I am a mom of two daughters and I cringe when I think of them in Michelle or Lauren’s positions. I think parents and teens could both enjoy this story together, and perhaps share some open and honest conversations about goals, priorities, and ultimately, how life doesn’t really give us a rewind.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I did have a hard time following some of the plot, but Milton's passion for the subject matter was evident, and his characters were immensely relatable.

Who Wants a Rewind?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Shelle's review? Post a comment saying so!
nmilton
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by nmilton »

Thanks for taking the time to review this book, Shelle. A fair appraisal. :D
Last edited by nmilton on 16 Feb 2016, 17:56, edited 1 time in total.
Shelle
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith

Post by Shelle »

nmilton wrote:Thanks for taking the time to review this book, Shelle. A fair appraisal. :D
Thanks! That means a lot coming from the author of the book.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, balanced review! The book sounds like an interesting, cautionary story for teens.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Seems like a very interesting book and your review made it sound intriguing. I think this is something I would like my teenage children to read. Great job on the review!
nmilton
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by nmilton »

They certainly should. I highly recommend it. No bias whatsoever. You can get paperback copies directly from me, or buy a digital copy from amazon.
Shelle

Post by Shelle »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Seems like a very interesting book and your review made it sound intriguing. I think this is something I would like my teenage children to read. Great job on the review!
I thought the same thing as I was reading it! My husband and I used to volunteer with a youth outreach program and I think they could've all benefited from a good cautionary tale like this.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

It seems a great read and your intriguing yet balanced review made me want to grab a copy of my own. As you highlighted, I think the book fits well to young adults and parents as well. The story is both interesting and educative.
Nhorhata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61

Post by Nhorhata »

I soo can relate to this book..i may not be like the character but i meet a few just like them..the story is relatable and wanted you also to have a rewind!#
Nhorhata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61

Post by Nhorhata »

nmilton wrote: 17 Feb 2016, 11:08 They certainly should. I highly recommend it. No bias whatsoever. You can get paperback copies directly from me, or buy a digital copy from amazon.
This review made me read it👏👏👏🙌🙌🙌

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”