Passenger by Alexandra Bracken

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AsDreamsAreMade
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asdreamsaremade.html

Passenger by Alexandra Bracken

Post by AsDreamsAreMade »

I’m not going to waste time giving an intro. I’m just going to dive right in and proceed to tell you how amazing this book was. Ok? Ok.

Etta is a violin prodigy. She’s given up everything for her craft, but on the day of an important recital, her whole world turns upside down. She discovers she’s a traveler, one who can travel through time, and in order to save her mother, she must embark on an epic quest through history to find the an important historical artifact for the ruling family–the Ironwoods. With the help of Nicholas, a shunned member of the Ironwood clan, Etta sets out to save her mother and save the course of history as we know it.

This book was fantastic. Utterly, fantastic.

I know the marketing campaign has been billing it as Outlander for teenagers and while it does have the time travel aspect, it’s so much more than that and really is its own original being.

Etta was a remarkable character. Very able to adapt to extraordinary circumstances and rather cunning at the same time. She’s thrown into impossible situations and is able to rise to the occasion. Her upbringing in the 21st century causes some problems at times, but it makes for such entertaining reading that you root for her the entire way. There was a moment in the narrative that had you going:

YOU GO GIRL!!

Nicholas was a great counterpoint for her. It was a nice change to see a main character of mixed race in a YA novel who struggles with his identity, especially through the viewpoint of different eras. I loved, loved, loved the romance between them. The secondary characters were well developed. Grandfather was one scary dude; Etta’s mother was ruthless, but you could still see hints of humanity behind her façade; Sophia was such a biznatch! Although you understand why she’s the way she is. I’m curious to see how her plot line develops, especially after this ending.

The plot moved very well. Because of the time travel element, it always had you guessing and wondering where in time they would end up next and what would happen. In its simplest sense, I would describe it as a scavenger hunt through time. Who doesn’t like that?? And that ending. THAT ENDING. I almost died.

I can honestly say, I didn’t dislike one thing about this book. I absolutely loved it. From the characters to the plot, it had you on your toes the entire time. You can see that Ms. Bracken really did her research in the historical department and it was reflected in the way her characters adapted to the era they were thrust into. That was one aspect I really enjoyed; seeing how social customs and norms have evolved and changed throughout history and cultures.

If you have a desire for adventure, romance, history, and just pure fun, pick this one up!
little_wonderland
Currently Reading: Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-wonderland.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by little_wonderland »

I agree with every point! This book is truly amazing! There isn't much for me to say but I'll try to give my opinion very briefly.
The system of time-travel is really interesting and it made sense to me, which is important because I usually get confused when it comes to time-travel. I love that all the characters had their distinct place and role in the story. Etta is really strong female character, she goes through a lot of stuff and yet, she remains normal and... human, if that makes sense. And no matter what Nicholas does, I still like him. He is so realistic! I wish every male character in the book was like him!
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
zero_macabre
Currently Reading: The Snowman
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zero-macabre.html
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller

Post by zero_macabre »

Sounds like an interesting book about time-travel! I haven't read it, but perhaps I will check it out.
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller
coffee_and_books
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-coffee-and-books.html

Post by coffee_and_books »

This book has been on my to read list forever! Glad to know someone read it and loved it!
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

Currently reading this right now! The beginning seems a little slow, but I'm interested to see how things go.
TGreg02
Currently Reading: A Horse Called Hero
Bookshelf Size: 67

Post by TGreg02 »

Thanks for the review, it sounds like a good book to read. I will have to add it to my bookshelf. The characters and time travelling sound interesting and the review is tempting to find it. I look forward to reading it.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”