Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AsDreamsAreMade
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asdreamsaremade.html

Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard

Post by AsDreamsAreMade »

Well this one just knocked me out.

Glass Sword picks up right where Red Queen left off. Mare finds herself in the belly of the Scarlet Guard, or what she thinks is the belly of the Scarlet Guard; fighting against Maven and his atrocities. However, she discovers if she truly wants to help the newbloods she must find them before he does. She sets off to do just that with the help of her closest friends, including Cal and Kilorn, but she’s forced to make decisions she never thought capable of. All for the good of her people, or so she tells herself.

Wow. Did this one throw me for a loop.

Mare is definitely conflicted with this one. Between her decision regarding the newbloods and her feelings toward Cal, Kilorn and even Maven, she struggles to find an identity. She’s no longer Mare from the stilts or Mareena–she doesn’t know who she is and her choices reflect that. She also struggles with who to trust. Everybody has their own agenda and wants something out of her. I can see where she feels isolated. At times though, I was a bit over it. She just beat herself up over her guilt quite often. That was the only thing I had an issue with in this novel.

The plot was holy twister!

There were times that I just sat straight out of bed screaming at what I was reading, “THAT CAN’T BE TRUE!” Every character is forced to make choices they never thought possible of and it really threw you for a loop at times (in the best possible way). I really loved Cal. He struggles with finding where he belongs; no longer a prince, but refusing to fight against his own people. The dynamic between him and Mare is interesting because of it. Kilorn starts to really come into his own and I loved Shade and Farley. Every character was rich, complex, and their storyline dynamic.

The end.I thought Red Queen had me dying, but that was just piddley compared to this one. Wow.

Victoria Aveyard returns with an even more complex story than Red Queen. Her characters keep you guessing at every turn (along with the plot) and she’ll keep you turning the page for more, well into the night.
Maxinnaaa

Post by Maxinnaaa »

Heeeey :) Here's my review of Glass Sword and I hope you don't mind me posting this here :D

I HAVE NO WORDS!

But seriously, I am speechless. This book is so good! I finished this yesterday and really, I'm still a complete mess.

The story started exactly where Red Queen ended. They were on the run from Maven and there were a lot of action scenes even in the beginning. That's a really good start because it set the pace for the whole book. They were hunting newbloods, the Reds with Silver powers like Mare.

I liked how the story went on. I was bored reading some scenes, though. I wanted action and I wanted to see Maven so badly and what he would do so I just wanted to skip some pages but of course I didn't do that. I was just really excited to see how it ends but the story was really good. The pacing that the action scenes set in the beginning was faltering a bit in the middle when there's not much happening. But it wasn't a major problem, honestly. For me, it was actually necessary to see their progress throughout the story.

Characters were really good! My favorite new character was Cameron. She was sassy as hell but that didn't really stop me from loving her. The romance between Cal and Mare was still underdeveloped. It was a problem for me in Red Queen because there was supposed to be a thing between them even from the start. But I couldn't see it. Here in Glass Sword, their "thing" was shown more but I still couldn't feel it. Maybe because I was so in love with Maven. But I loved how they handled each other's feelings. I loved their connection. It wasn't really strong as to call it romance but it was there.

I was mad at Mare for a couple of times because she was being unreasonable. I have read many reviews that said they didn't like her here. As for me, I loved Mare here in Glass Sword as much as I loved her in Red Queen. I actually saw her develop in some ways, in contrast to those who said that she didn't grow. Her fighting spirit was stronger and she was fiercer than ever. She had been ruthless, too and she tried so hard to look like a leader. She had questionable reasoning about certain things but that was part of her and there were reasons why she had to do it. Yes, I was mad at her and that was because of Kilorn. You don't talk to my baby that way, okay, Mare?

Kilorn was still a favorite. He tried to be Mare's support and he did just that. I didn't like Cal in Red Queen so much because of his twisted political views. (And you love Maven after all he's done?) I just really didn't like the guy! I'm sorry. But! I was very pleased with him here and I was glad to see more of him here. I'm starting to like him, actually.

This book is so good. I keep saying that. It made me feel a lot of feels and I'm still a mess right now. Don't let people and reviews spoil you, okay? Please. Spare yourselves.
ebfielder
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebfielder.html
Latest Review: "Tick" by Allison Rose

Post by ebfielder »

I am in love with this series, Victoria Aveyard did a wonderful job. I just finished and have many of my students already hooked. I cannot with for the next book in the series!
Latest Review: "Tick" by Allison Rose
untameddauntless
Currently Reading: The Selection
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-untameddauntless.html

Post by untameddauntless »

I'm already starting this one and I'm getting hooked. Holy moly, I love these series.
Rvt4life2015
Currently Reading: The Tiger's Wife
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rvt4life2015.html

Post by Rvt4life2015 »

I just finished this book and holy crap!! The book starts off with Mare and Cal having just been rescued. It then goes on to detail their journey through different lands looking for more people that are like her. She continues to shut herself off especially after being betrayed by the one who was her betrothed. During her journey she meets others like her and "rescues" them while actually forcing them to come with her for their own safety. At least that is what she says to them to give them comfort. Sadly there are also many that are lost to them because now people like Mare are being hunted just for being far too different. The one thing that is noticeable is that Mare continues to shame herself and grieve over decisions that she has to make in order to survive which is a lie to help ease her conscience. She is able to rescue many Reds and Silvers only to lose someone close to her, the cooperation of many allies that she herself recruited, as well as someone she held dear. What I was not prepared for was the ending. How she willingly gave herself over to her previous betrothed because she felt that was what she deserved after taking so many lives; innocent and guilty alike. I have to say that I seriously loved reading this book and it was just as good as the first if not slow at the start. I cannot wait for the third to come out and wish that I hadn't read them when they were first published. I guess for that I can thank my boyfriend....oh well. I definitely recommend this book for people who love dystopian stories with romance, action and intrigue.
emilythebooklover00
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilythebooklover00.html

Post by emilythebooklover00 »

I broke my rule for this series. I've always promised myself that i would never start a series, no matter how popular until the entire collection was released. Mostly because I'm completely impatient. Glass sword left me with a hollow chest. I won't lie it lagged every now and then like many sequels but overall Aveyard pulled me in and took me for a crazy ride, again. No matter what anyone says I find the series distinctly different. Something about Maven gives me chill,eh it's not a mystery, he's a psychopath. And, Mare is amazing. She's imperfect and unpredictable and selfish and I love it. Finally a heroine with normal emotions. Love the book so much and I'm patiently counted down the days until the 3rd book. :lol2:
livreads
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreads.html

Post by livreads »

I loved the first book and the second book was not a let down. Its rare that I find a book series with a sequel that is just as good as the first book, and Glass Sword does just that. I am excited for what is in store for Cruel King, and urge anyone who hasn't read this series to pick up the first book, Red Queen, because it will not disappoint.
manatee glasses
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 659">don't call me ishmael</a>
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manatee-glasses.html

Post by manatee glasses »

This book was amazing! I really liked the story line, but it could definitely be written a little better. Other than that, I LOVED IT! (I actually got in trouble for trying to read it during class)
:lol2: :doh: :techie-studyingbrown:
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this series! I did think that the first one was the best though, but I'm super curious as to how Aveyard is going to make it a four-book series instead of a trilogy.

Everyone says that this type of fantasy story has been overdone, but Aveyard really put a creative spin on it and I thought all the characters were very personalized and three-dimensional. And the plot! Whew, it really kept me on my toes!
MerryLove
Currently Reading: A Court of Wings and Ruin
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merrylove.html
Latest Review: "Coppers Journey" by Julius Green
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MerryLove »

“If I am a sword, I am a sword made of glass, and I feel myself beginning to shatter.”

Glass Sword took on a new tone that I adored, but that I'm sure is not for everyone. Mare finds herself working further with the Scarlet Guard and in searching for those on the list she received from Julian. Instead of navigating a palace, she's navigating new territory with guerrilla warfare and death sentences. She has to make some tactical decisions, some hard choices, and some difficult sacrifices. It is in no way easy for her, and she feels like she's losing her humanity along the way. It takes on a dark tone that is very raw and is very real, and I love it for that. Her decisions and her emotions are not anywhere near perfect. They're a lot more like what you'd expect from a seventeen year old that got tossed into a leadership role in a war zone. There are a number of reviews that didn't like Mare's character because of the dark tones she takes, but for me it only made the situation feel more real. It made me think about how I might react in a similar situation. She's not a typical hero who's conveniently good at everything she needs, but that doesn't make her a bad hero. It just makes her a different kind of one.

I loved that the author took the path that she did with this second book. It was hard, but it was so good. The ending was FANTASTIC too. It felt like the ending that keeps on giving. I'd get to a part where I'd think “okay, this is the big finale”, and then there would be MORE. It was so good. And the final part of the ending was so satisfying, finishing with a solid ring of the gong, and left me longing for the next book. The author seems to have a very good knack for writing a story arc that burns slowly and gradually builds for a large climax.

I just recently learned that this series is actually a quartet, not a trilogy. The flow so far has definitely had a trilogy feel, and at the moment I'm kind of wondering how much story could be left that it will fill two more novels. We shall wait and see! Hopefully the release of the third book will shed some light as to why this series will be better as a quartet than a trilogy.

Rating

I would give this book a full 4 out of 4. I loved it even more than I did the first one. This one felt like its own original story, and definitely had its own original take. I would not, however, recommend it for everyone. You know you. If dark characters that brood and churn and are in turmoil for most of the book is not your cup of tea, I don't think you will enjoy this one.
Mannie913
Currently Reading: Sweep Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mannie913.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mannie913 »

I loved this book! Just finished and needed to read what everyone else was thinking about! I love her relationship with Cal. I hope they get together but at the same time, I don't really know if it's possible: Cal has seen her murerdous rage against Silvers and Mare has seen Cal's blatant indifference to Reds. I know both have been through very traumatic events so maybe they will both come through. I'm glad in the end they each knew the other was apologizing for the way everything went down. I hope Now Cal understands just how much she loves him and I hope she realies the same of herself.

As for Kilorn, I love him. I was really glad when Mare stopped babysitting him. He's grown and can make his own decisions. I'm glad they've come clean about their relationship, that it will never be more then friendship.

Completely upset about Shade. It breaks my heart. I hated that everyone didn't understand that continuing on with her work was her form of grieving. It doesn't mean she didn't love him or even the other newbloods that were killed. She just couldn't handle facing the truth of death so she continued on to make sure their deaths were not in vain.

Farley disappoints me with the words she threw at Mare over Shade's body. I know she was grieving but damn! And then Cal to go in one Mare like that right after her brother was taken from her. Of course she turned cold!
Anyways, I should probably sleep so I can read tomorrow! Good night!
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Zzaakkiiyyaa
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 166

Post by Zzaakkiiyyaa »

Honestly, I didn't think I would like this series going in but it had me HOOKED. I was shocked. Victoria Aveyard did a brilliant job with Red Queen and completely blew my mind with Glass Sword. I'd recommend this to anyone - fantastic.
DDunstock
Currently Reading: Casimir Bridge
Bookshelf Size: 281
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ddunstock.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by DDunstock »

I really didn't like this one. I enjoyed Red Queen, but felt this one dragged on and on.
I also don't like Mare. I feel like she has no direction and complains constantly.
I have King's Cage on my bookshelf and hope it's better than this one.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
MerryLove
Currently Reading: A Court of Wings and Ruin
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merrylove.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MerryLove »

Unfortunately, not so much. I loved the second book, but was so done by the third.
DDunstock
Currently Reading: Casimir Bridge
Bookshelf Size: 281
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ddunstock.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by DDunstock »

MerryLove wrote:Unfortunately, not so much. I loved the second book, but was so done by the third.
Ah dang! Good to know, though. I'll probably still read King's Cage since I already bought it hardcover ;)

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”