Review: Die for Me by Amy Plum

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KAV
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kav.html
Latest Review: "Angelica" by Clabe Polk

Review: Die for Me by Amy Plum

Post by KAV »

After Kate’s parent’s died in a car crash her life was complete uprooted to be moved to a foreign country with her older sister and grandparents. She lost contact with her friends from the States and internalized her grief by delving into fictional novels removing her from the real world. It wasn’t until she locked eyes with a handsome stranger, Vincent, that she started to realize she wasn’t really living at all. As Kate gets to know the mysterious stranger she soon discovers that Vincent isn’t exactly her guardian angel. He and his friends are an undead group compelled to sacrifice themselves in order to save the lives of others and they aren’t the only undead living in Paris. Like all good stories there has to be a villain and this one exists only to betray and murder.

The book was filled with Paris settings and language. The author did a good job immersing the reader into her romantic story between two characters. At points I felt like Vincent was being creepy but then the main character would call him out on it too and the scene would be explained further turning it from creepy to cute. This is a love story similar to the Twilight series except in a more healthy way. Kate is by no means obsessed with Vincent and can definitely function without him. She even takes a few months break from him only to realize that she is happier by his side. Even though her heart wants to be with Vincent, she soon realizes that a place next to him might not be the safest place for her to stand when good is pitted against evil.
Latest Review: "Angelica" by Clabe Polk
Vexin
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vexin.html

Post by Vexin »

Now, this book isn't for everybody, and I'll let you know right now it's probably not going to be interesting to people that allowed Twilight to ruin their views on a supernatural+human romance.

Honestly though this book holds a uniqueness that keeps itself out of the same ballpark as Twilight.
With that said I will give a little insight about the story! :D

So the story mostly revolves around a girl named Kate, and her life after losing her parents. Her and her sister are left to move in with their grandparents who live in Paris, France.

Kate is a bookworm, just like you and I. She enjoys sitting in cafes, and indulges in the fine art museums that France has to offer. To some her life may seem rather dull, but this character and I are kindred spirits so I grew attached to her rather quickly. Eventually, she meets a guy named Vincent, and I must say he has quite the charm. You can see the clique with most unusual and mysterious guys. He's handsome, dark, and totally dangerous.

Once she meets him her life begins to become anything but boring, and confusion begins to set in on Kate. Now, Vincent is known as a Revenant (which a lot of people take for Zombies, but I wouldn't really classify them as such). His duty is to protect the people around him, but that seems to grow harder when his heart begins to get in the way.

This story does have a strong taste of romance, but the overall story I felt deserved to be classified as Mystery since there are a lot of twists and turns throughout this book! There are some mistakes in the book as I'm sure some of you will see, and somethings that don't really seem to go hand-in-hand with each other. If you can look past that stuff it's really worth a shot. This is a trilogy, and I intend to read the rest eventually. After leaving this review I plan to re-read this first. I highly recommend it, and if anyone has already let it please let everyone know what you think! :techie-studyingbrown:
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

I agree. If you are into the whole Twilight love story you may not like it. Its different than the typical supernatural/human love story. I like how Kate has a mind of her own and a voice. She also doesn't wait to be saved or hang onto every word of her boyfriend. Women in supernatural romance stories tend to be so vapid and stupid, so this was a nice change.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”