Official Review: My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
treestand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-treestand.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Re: Official Review: My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor

Post by treestand »

Great review! I honestly can’t say that the topic of transgender issues, especially in young adults, is one that I’m interested in; but your review makes the book sound great!
rusyalana
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 156

Post by rusyalana »

I agree that putting on the clothes of the opposite sex will not solve the problem, it is a great battle that goes on inside you, in your mind. The person who undergoes such a process faces a lot of hardships. This book sounds really interesting, especially for those who came across such problems.
meryna kate73
Currently Reading: Last Seen
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by meryna kate73 »

Thanks for the great review, though am not into transgender and transitioning books but I appreciate the intricacies in life they go through the book brings to light..I would read it to understand them better..would be good also to include the out side world's reaction to them not just close family and friends...Great read for both the YA and adults..Congrats for the informative review!!
Nweke Ugochukwu
Currently Reading: Personal Encounters with Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Nweke Ugochukwu »

The story is so captivating, well structured. It is difficult for one not to read it to the end.
Panch
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Panch »

Its about the reality of our generation today about transgender, but also fell their true feelings. Thank you author for the nice review :tiphat:
jedreid
Currently Reading: Going Gone
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jedreid.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by jedreid »

i very much agree that everyone should read books like My Ladybird Story at least once in their lives especially the narrow minded ones who judge easily. i will be recommending this. great review!
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

Sensitive topics like transitioning genders are becoming more and more acceptable these days. I think that popular fiction is an excellent way to socialize it even further within the general public. This book sounds like an excellent one to do just that.
Last edited by Scerakor on 10 Jan 2018, 08:53, edited 1 time in total.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Great review! I had the pleasure to read and review this book, too, and like you, I was pleasantly surprised at what I found. As far as YA books go, My Ladybird Story is indeed a must-read. And although it unapologetically portrays the biases of people, it balances it out by dwelling on the goodness of others.
Trisha15
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Trisha15 »

Thank you for the review!

I thought you explained it perfectly. Despite few grammatical errors from the get-go, the story itself is quite unique. I've never read anything like it, and this definitely won't be the last.

There is something amazing about how the author has chosen to display the emotions of the characters. Almost as if the reader is their friend. This generation needs more books like this to be aware of what issues lie in a society that doesn't (yet) quite understand what people of the LGBT community go through.

Like you said, it's about matching the inside with the outside. But I think it's also just being content with yourself and your choices, and what you've been given. :D
Jeromet
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Jeromet »

well am also finish reading this book an it's a very lovely book that teaches us that everyone is made different an we should treat each other equally
kate_nguyen
Currently Reading: Alexis Zorba
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-nguyen.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by kate_nguyen »

At the first glance, I thought this book is for children or teenager :D The topic of transgender and transitioning people should be described as realistic as possible and I hope My Ladybird Story will do the job.
Waragu Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waragu-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Waragu Samuel »

The description of John’s discomfort, his complete assuredness that something is wrong with him but he has no idea what, is something that people sometimes just do not understand.
Although pain cannot be shared, one can imagine the 'social pain' John has to undergo to come to terms with his sexuality
“If things start happening, don't worry, don't stew, just go right along and you'll start happening too.”~Dr. Theodor Seuss Geisel (1904-1991)
Chuks Daniel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chuks-daniel.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Post by Chuks Daniel »

Concise and analytical review! I like the idea and theme of this novel. At a time when there seems to be more cases of transgender people around the world, books like 'My Lady bird Story' come in handy for better understanding of the trend.
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I'm a huge fan of YA novels, so I have to say I was pleased when I discovered this one fit in the genre! John's story sounds very touching, and one that many can relate to.
Huge congrats to the author for such a great praising review!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
mohammedaslam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 258
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mohammedaslam »

A thorough and well delivered review about a story on a controversial topic of transgender. The review gives you a good understanding about the story and its lead characters, which lets you know what to expect while you are reading the book.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”